Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
That would be my opening salvo against the NCAA in a closed door meeting.

Here’s the audio tapes of the LSU coach. Here’s your rulings on widespread academic fraud at UNC. Here’s a well known HS coach (Probst) exposing widespread pay for play at uga/bama...Now NCAA, take our self imposed penalties for our “cheating “ and call it good OR we bombard the media with your ineptitude and blind eye against certain teams until your organization crumbles and all of the P5 conferences start their own organization.
You are HIRED!!

Just got through watching the D side conference and over all I am excited what each one brings. I love the mix of SEC vets and new blood coming in. Excited to have Garner at the DL and looking forward to seeing what Banks and the ILB coach is going to bring. As for EK, I love the guy. He is going to bring so much energy to this team and the team I believe are going to love that energy he brings. Can't wait til March 18th. GBO!!

Actually I don't get new phones a lot. I just retired the original Pixel. 4 1/2 years out of that phone.
Did you get it through your phone provider (ATT, Verizon, etc.) or straight from the manufacturer (Apple, Samsung, etc.)?

I bought my iPhone straight from Apple 3 years ago instead of going through Verizon and I am convinced it's lasted longer than my past ones because I didn't have it on a contract with Verizon. When I've had them on contracts before the battery, screen, or something else would ultimately start going bad at like 18-20 months and force you to get a new phone at 2 years, but this latest phone has had no problems whatsoever so far (knock on wood).

All that said, as long as I can afford it I will always purchase straight from the manufacturer.

Did you get it through your phone provider (ATT, Verizon, etc.) or straight from the manufacturer (Apple, Samsung, etc.)?

I bought my iPhone straight from Apple 3 years ago instead of going through Verizon and I am convinced it's lasted longer than my past ones because I didn't have it on a contract with Verizon. When I've had them on contracts before the battery, screen, or something else would ultimately start going bad at like 18-20 months and force you to get a new phone at 2 years, but this latest phone has had no problems whatsoever so far (knock on wood).

All that said, as long as I can afford it I will always purchase straight from the manufacturer.
I got the Pixel directly from Verizon. I did replace the battery after two years but other than that I've had no issues other than the normal stuff. My battery life had gotten pathetic again and I just didn't see investing in another battery.

I contemplated buying the new phone off Amazon. It was $100 less but some of the comments stated it wouldn't work on 5G on Verizon. I felt like it wasn't worth the risk for $100.

Reactions: pierce60
f16350da35b38d5163468e98f7c430d7.gif
man, those poops were easy compared to the current poops. sigh.

I got the Pixel directly from Verizon. I did replace the battery after two years but other than that I've had no issues other than the normal stuff. My battery life had gotten pathetic again and I just didn't see investing in another battery.

I contemplated buying the new phone off Amazon. It was $100 less but some of the comments stated it wouldn't work on 5G on Verizon. I felt like it wasn't worth the risk for $100.
Pixel huh? A pure wrist?

Reactions: InVOLuntary
New Age approach to football

I heard Heupel say something about using the new age approach to football in his introductory press conference and I think I heard Golesh use the same or similar remarks. So the first thing that comes to my mind is hippies. Right? I mean what the hell is new age football? The very words made me cringe. smh.

Having no idea what that even means I figured I’d better look into it and see how weird it really was. I mean it’s who we are now, like it or not. I’d rather not be completely ignorant about it. I was imagining crystals or something. How would that work? Is Astrology involved? I needed to find out.

So this is what I’ve found so far. Pete Carroll. It’s his fault. At Seattle they don’t chew out players for making mistakes. In fact, cussing isn’t even allowed on the field. Are you serious? What happens if our players aren’t as big as Alabama’s players? We can’t shame our guys? What if they piss off a coach? Is he not allowed to threaten to cut them from the team?

That’s it. No more Mr. Badass coach. As best I can tell, that’s all it is.

Positive instruction and guidance, being empathetic I guess you might say when a kid doesn’t live up to the standard. Encouragement to continue working. Now both he and the coaches know that the best 11 guys are going to be the ones on the field but he isn’t going to be punished or treated sort of with negative reinforcement if he’s not in the 11 or gets replaced in the 11. It’s going to be pointed out what he needs to work on so he can get back into that 11 man unit.

Lest you get the wrong idea, it’s not a license to reject discipline. Accountability is maintained. It’s more about creating a positive environment and a sort of shared trust and commitment to the team’s goals between the coaches and the players. It’s not the coaches team and it’s not the player’s team. They all share “ownership” in the team and its success or lack thereof.

That’s my interpretation based on what I can find. Obviously, Heupel still has the responsibilities of a head coach and the other coaches have their responsibilities. The new age approach is how the coaches go about interacting with the players and presumably the way the players go about interacting with each other. I’m doing my best to explain this in a way that doesn’t freak you guys out. Let’s just say that after doing a bit of research I’ve come to the tentative conclusion that our coaches are probably NOT hippies. jmo.

Like I said, Pete Carroll’s Seattle Seahawks is the model for this New Age approach to football and it’s gaining increasing interest across the country, especially in NFL ranks.

In researching this I discovered that our local writers didn’t even bother trying to figure out what Josh was talking about. It appears that they assume it’s fast tempo offense and aggressive defense, like no one has ever done that before. smh. I’m pretty sure they don’t know what they’re talking about but they’re pretending like they do. They pretend a lot I think. jmo.

Once again, thanks, ChattaTNVol.

FWIW - some form of this approach predates or is on a similar timeline as Pete Carroll. Tony Dungy. Read his autobiographical books. Jim Caldwell followed up with it and kept it going.

I agree with it. When you have your roster stocked with players who respond better to positive reinforcement than dog cussin' - you get the result you seek. It builds much deeper bonds and helps them become better men holistically like CRG stated yesterday. They keep the game, a game. It's not treated as the military with life and death situations dealt with in milliseconds. It's an approach that says football is meant to be enjoyed by players, coaches and fans - not a hate filled, tortuous exercise with life or death decisioning like on the battlefield. You work hard and smart because you want to play well for yourself, your teammates, your coaches and the fans. Then you go PLAY! Have FUN! BALL OUT! You can still be tough and knock somebody into next week using the "new age" method. Nobody ever accused Carroll's or Dungy's teams of being soft. Nobody has accused CJH's teams of being soft - they are as physical as it gets.

Coaches can old school and intimidate you into doing better, or, they can pull you aside, talk about what needs to change, and how to do it before sending you back in for another shot at it. They can encourage or they can command with their instructions. You are still held accountable for the actual results. Again, it takes players who respond better to positivity. I'm sure they are figuring out who they have that does that now. After a turrible down period for the program of 15 years - it's probably time the program did things a different way.

Societal and generational changes in the young people who actually play the game dictates a different way of doing things IMO. They all want to know 'why' now. It's not do or die based on an order from the superior. To get their best efforts and work out of them, why not let them in on it and get the total buy-in? Seems to me it eliminates a major hindrance to being successful.

They've got Will Wade on audio recordings making huge cash offers for recruits and nothing has happened. That was two years ago. NCAA has selective enforcement.
Bad look when they're in court arguing with the federal gov't that they're fighting to protect the last bastion of amateurism in America.

Once again, thanks, ChattaTNVol.

FWIW - some form of this approach predates or is on a similar timeline as Pete Carroll. Tony Dungy. Read his autobiographical books. Jim Caldwell followed up with it and kept it going.

I agree with it. When you have your roster stocked with players who respond better to positive reinforcement than dog cussin' - you get the result you seek. It builds much deeper bonds and helps them become better men holistically like CRG stated yesterday. They keep the game, a game. It's not treated as the military with life and death situations dealt with in milliseconds. It's an approach that says football is meant to be enjoyed by players, coaches and fans - not a hate filled, tortuous exercise with life or death decisioning like on the battlefield. You work hard and smart because you want to play well for yourself, your teammates, your coaches and the fans. Then you go PLAY! Have FUN! BALL OUT! You can still be tough and knock somebody into next week using the "new age" method. Nobody ever accused Carroll's or Dungy's teams of being soft. Nobody has accused CJH's teams of being soft - they are as physical as it gets.

Coaches can old school and intimidate you into doing better, or, they can pull you aside, talk about what needs to change, and how to do it before sending you back in for another shot at it. They can encourage or they can command with their instructions. You are still held accountable for the actual results. Again, it takes players who respond better to positivity. I'm sure they are figuring out who they have that does that now. After a turrible down period for the program of 15 years - it's probably time the program did things a different way.

Societal and generational changes in the young people who actually play the game dictates a different way of doing things IMO. They all want to know 'why' now. It's not do or die based on an order from the superior. To get their best efforts and work out of them, why not let them in on it and get the total buy-in? Seems to me it eliminates a major hindrance to being successful.

Good points - throw in the fact that this approach is a complete 180 from Lumpy Gumpy and the expectation is that players should immediately respond to it and see results quickly.

SIAP, but Ekeler seems legitimately insane and I love it.

Ekeler’s reputation preceded him in multiple ways. One, that he infamously applied a (temporary) tattoo early in his recruitment of Nebraska linebacker Will Compton. But Monday, he also told the story of the time he tried to run an unsanctioned marathon because he promised his players he’d do it if they had a great practice.
Ekeler had former Coastal Carolina coach Joe Moglia, who left his job as the CEO of TD Ameritrade to be an unpaid volunteer for Bo Pelini at Nebraska and later became an FBS head coach, drop him off 27 miles down Interstate 80 so he could run back toward Memorial Stadium in Lincoln.
It was 90 degrees, but Ekeler admitted he had the wind at his back.
“I took off and started running,” Ekeler said. “All I had was a headset and the GPS that tracks your splits.”
About four miles outside of Lincoln, a police car came up behind him on the interstate and blared its sirens, startling him.
“Son, what are you doing?” Ekeler recalled the police officer asking after “pulling him over.”
Ekeler explained he was running a marathon.
The policeman explained it was illegal to run on the side of the interstate, but when Ekeler gave him his name, he recognized who he’d apprehended. He made Ekeler get in the police car before identifying himself.
“I didn’t have a shirt on,” Ekeler said. “I was sweating like Moses Malone in the fourth quarter. I look in the mirror and I looked like I had rabies. I had cotton mouth like you couldn’t believe.”
Upon realizing who he’d pulled over, the policeman asked “Coach Eck” what he was doing. He explained the story in full and pleaded with the police officer to let him finish the final couple of miles.
“He said, ‘I can’t do that. I’d get fired if you get hurt,’” Ekeler recalled. “I said, ‘Well, I am kinda tired. How about you just give me a ride back to the stadium then?’ So that’s how it ended. I never finished it.”

- Ubben

That would be my opening salvo against the NCAA in a closed door meeting.

Here’s the audio tapes of the LSU coach. Here’s your rulings on widespread academic fraud at UNC. Here’s a well known HS coach (Probst) exposing widespread pay for play at uga/bama...Now NCAA, take our self imposed penalties for our “cheating “ and call it good OR we bombard the media with your ineptitude and blind eye against certain teams until your organization crumbles and all of the P5 conferences start their own organization.
giphy-26.gif

New Age approach to football

I heard Heupel say something about using the new age approach to football in his introductory press conference and I think I heard Golesh use the same or similar remarks. So the first thing that comes to my mind is hippies. Right? I mean what the hell is new age football? The very words made me cringe. smh.

Having no idea what that even means I figured I’d better look into it and see how weird it really was. I mean it’s who we are now, like it or not. I’d rather not be completely ignorant about it. I was imagining crystals or something. How would that work? Is Astrology involved? I needed to find out.

So this is what I’ve found so far. Pete Carroll. It’s his fault. At Seattle they don’t chew out players for making mistakes. In fact, cussing isn’t even allowed on the field. Are you serious? What happens if our players aren’t as big as Alabama’s players? We can’t shame our guys? What if they piss off a coach? Is he not allowed to threaten to cut them from the team?

That’s it. No more Mr. Badass coach. As best I can tell, that’s all it is.

Positive instruction and guidance, being empathetic I guess you might say when a kid doesn’t live up to the standard. Encouragement to continue working. Now both he and the coaches know that the best 11 guys are going to be the ones on the field but he isn’t going to be punished or treated sort of with negative reinforcement if he’s not in the 11 or gets replaced in the 11. It’s going to be pointed out what he needs to work on so he can get back into that 11 man unit.

Lest you get the wrong idea, it’s not a license to reject discipline. Accountability is maintained. It’s more about creating a positive environment and a sort of shared trust and commitment to the team’s goals between the coaches and the players. It’s not the coaches team and it’s not the player’s team. They all share “ownership” in the team and its success or lack thereof.

That’s my interpretation based on what I can find. Obviously, Heupel still has the responsibilities of a head coach and the other coaches have their responsibilities. The new age approach is how the coaches go about interacting with the players and presumably the way the players go about interacting with each other. I’m doing my best to explain this in a way that doesn’t freak you guys out. Let’s just say that after doing a bit of research I’ve come to the tentative conclusion that our coaches are probably NOT hippies. jmo.

Like I said, Pete Carroll’s Seattle Seahawks is the model for this New Age approach to football and it’s gaining increasing interest across the country, especially in NFL ranks.

In researching this I discovered that our local writers didn’t even bother trying to figure out what Josh was talking about. It appears that they assume it’s fast tempo offense and aggressive defense, like no one has ever done that before. smh. I’m pretty sure they don’t know what they’re talking about but they’re pretending like they do. They pretend a lot I think. jmo.
I could never survive the no cussing rule. I'm the son of a sailor. Cussing is part of my vernacular, dammit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back