Elliott on not taking UT job.

Ok, maybe a better statement then would be, would he have won immediately and so much early on without being set up by Majors? I think not.
Yes, that's better, Beamer. :) It's getting off the original subject, but it's better.

I do disagree with it, though. One can just as easily posit that Fulmer was setting Majors up for success all those years, rather than the inverse. I mean, he was Majors' rock star offensive coordinator, and one of his best recruiters.

So perhaps it is more accurate to say that Fulmer was a big part of Majors succeeding, and at the same time was setting himself up to succeed in later years.

p.s. Not only was he Majors' OC and his star recruiter, he was also the fella who brought Cutcliffe into the fold and kept promoting him. Those who attribute much of Fulmer's success as a head coach to Cutcliffe forget that Fulmer gave Fulmer Cutcliffe.

1614967256511.png

Last edited:
Don't want a coach that doesn't think he can win here, glad he didn't take it. Make me like CJH more, no matter what you can tell he believes in his abilities and his ability to win here!!!! GBO!!!!

I wonder if Steve Spurrier complained about being "in a position where we have a legitimate opportunity to win" when he took the job at Duke?

I wonder if Nick Saban complained about being "in a position where we have a legitimate opportunity to win" at Michigan State?

He's right about one thing. Someone with such a soft, entitled attitude won't win in the SEC, to say nothing of Tennessee.

Can't say I blame the guy. Even without sanctions, we've been giving HCs an average of 40 games before we fire them. With what were facing and our recent history I wouldn't touch this job if I was an up and coming coach.
agreed

Improve their stock?

Any coach who comes to UT and wins is going to stay at UT as long as the coach wants to be a P5 head football coach. Winning at Tennessee means winning in the SEC. It's top of the food chain. Tennessee is down obviously, but when/if they find a winning coach, there is nothing any school could offer that Tennessee could not.

And, as we have seen, coaches who lose here get shown the door. But, it's that way at most schools.

That's a big if. UT is probably the hardest school to win at just cause of our schedule. Fulmer, our best coach in over a half a century, won a lot and we ran him off. Now half the fan base despises him. Majors comes back after already winning a NC and couldn't get it done here. Again, name me a coach that improved their stock by taking the job. Fans think cause we won 1 NC in a half century that it should happen fairly often and that's a pretty high bar set that most know, outside of the program, is highly unlikely. Even winning the SEC is highly unlikely for the foreseeable future

Embarrassing
You’re right, Elliott should be embarrassed! If I’m an AD looking to hire this guy, his quotes in this article make me look in another direction. So basically he is saying he doesn’t want to work, doesn’t want to build, he just wants to fall into an already established program, that offers him a cushy job opportunity. Good luck with that because you just limited yourself to about 10 job opportunities!
GBO!!

Some upset people in this thread. The guy told no lies. It's not just being an embarrassment on the field that has us in a bad place. Everything about Tennessee's football program is currently bad. He knows he will get offers from programs not getting their teeth kicked in, making poor leadership choices, and NCAA sanctions ahead.
What is your point? Is it not okay that "some people" are upset because we've been dealing with this type of crap for over a decade because of our administration? Is that not okay? What is the acceptable emotion for fans in this type of situation?

Reactions: cobbwebb0710
Somebody is not telling the truth? White said our current coach was the ONLY one offered the job!!

Perhaps Elliott took his name out of the hat BEFORE UT made the final selection?

Did Ellliott turn down something he was never offered?
We all know that was complete BS!
GBO!!

What is your point? Is it not okay that "some people" are upset because we've been dealing with this type of crap for over a decade because of our administration? Is that not okay? What is the acceptable emotion for fans in this type of situation?
Why be upset at Elliot? The university got us here. He simply told the truth. UT is no where near competing at a high level which is what he is looking for. He made the choice any same person would make. You can have whatever emotions you want. My post does not to deter that. No going to argue with you on it either. If you choose to say f Elliot like some then so be it but the guy told zero lies.

I hate to say it, but I find myself not respecting that perspective very much.

It seems as if Elliott doesn't trust himself and his own skills enough to succeed under trying conditions. That he only believes he can do well if things are handed to him on a platter, relatively speaking.

By comparison, Josh Heupel seems supremely confident. He certainly seems significantly more self-assured than Tony Elliott, at this point in time.
I think we dodged a bullet. Even before reading this, my opinion was that he won't be a very successful HC. Doesn't mean he isn't a good coach... just don't think he's HC material.

we did not need to roll the dice on another coordinator, first-time head coach. happier with Hoople than Elliott, although would have been exponentially more optimistic with Franklin or Freeze.

Whispers....you're the exact kind of fan he was referencing
“So just really, bottom line, an opportunity to win and win the right way and have the full support of everybody that touches that program,”

If expecting something more than non stop embarrassment on and off the field makes me a bad fan then so be it.

The guy they were trying to hire essentially admits in an interview that he wouldn't have been fully invested in TN the program or the community and individuals around the program had he taken the job.

If you're OK with someone like that, then you're the kind of fan that has helped lead to the state of affairs in Knoxville.

And I dont need to whisper to you on that point.

How many coaches turned us down before our AD offered Tony Elliott and got rejected by him? Our football program is a fkn joke until it isn't. Hopefully, JH can get the job done.

Why be upset at Elliot? The university got us here. He simply told the truth. UT is no where near competing at a high level which is what he is looking for. He made the choice any same person would make. You can have whatever emotions you want. My post does not to deter that. No going to argue with you on it either. If you choose to say f Elliot like some then so be it but the guy told zero lies.

I think he's afraid of failing. A man that's offered several million dollars a year to teach a group of college kids...I'm sorry...collage grown men how to play a game of football that have been playing football in junior high and high school for 4-5 years already, ought to jump all over that if he has any salt.

Yes, if he didn't want it because it was too hard for him, then screw him for not just saying that instead of all the excuses.

I'm respecting CJH more and more every day.

Y'all take up for your chicken crap Millionaires and continue putting down the university. It's in bad shape but all it will take is the right guy.

Maybe we all should be thanking Elliott.

Bunch of our fans are a fkn joke too.

The Vols get my support even when they are bad. The fans didn’t make the UTAD horrible at decision making. Regardless I will continue to support them and provide criticism when necessary.

The Vols get my support even when they are bad. The fans didn’t make the UTAD horrible at decision making. Regardless I will continue to support them and provide criticism when necessary.
tenor (13).gif

Do you know how many times those exact words have been posted here over the last decade?

Reactions: VFL-82-JP

VN Store

Back