'17 NC QB Hendon Hooker (Vol transfer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maurer can’t read a defense. Won’t play.

Is that his fault or coaches? Scheme too complicated tripping up his mind or he didn’t work hard enough? I think I would go middle on all of it knowing Chaneys playbook has been known to be complicated. Prior to injuries Maurer was looking good as a freshman. JH scheme to me comes off as one easier for a QB to pick up a play fast in without too much thinking. There are schemes out there that have succeeded with QBs that couldn’t read a defense in college.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
I hope Maurer is open minded about redshirting and getting healthy. I've always been curious about what he could do with some time to process the playbook and get healthy.

Reactions: norrislakevol
Is that his fault or coaches? Scheme too complicated tripping up his mind or he didn’t work hard enough? I think I would go middle on all of it knowing Chaneys playbook has been known to be complicated. Prior to injuries Maurer was looking good as a freshman. JH scheme to me comes off as one easier for a QB to pick up a play fast in without too much thinking. There are schemes out there that have succeeded with QBs that couldn’t read a defense in college.

The issue is Maurer needs to be able to make changes at the line. Most of the plays do not come from the sideline they come from the QB after he reads the defense in Huepel’s offense.

I don’t think Maurer is able to do that.

Reactions: StoneColdStunner
Facts @butchna some ppl just talk and you can see who they are. Hooker is definitely not this great qb that ppl mk him out to be. He didn't leave VaTech because he was the 2nd coming of Mike Vick.
Fuente also runs a QB friendly system and this guy didn’t excel in it.

Facts and a qb friendly system that this is what they say about him, "Fuente’s reputation is for exemplary work with the offense and quarterbacks" but Hooker had to find another school to go to

Last edited:
Reactions: butchna

He put up some pretty good numbers there. Not consistent but talent is there to work with and experience. It doesn’t sound like he was ever a fan of Fuente due to josh Jackson favoritism during first years on campus. Sometimes people need change of scenery and has nothing to do with them not being good. I don’t know that he beats out anyone as it’s a really talented room but I’m sure we could find a way to use his legs

Reactions: GoBigOrange_2309
He put up some pretty good numbers there. Not consistent but talent is there to work with and experience. It doesn’t sound like he was ever a fan of Fuente due to josh Jackson favoritism during first years on campus. Sometimes people need change of scenery and has nothing to do with them not being good. I don’t know that he beats out anyone as it’s a really talented room but I’m sure we could find a way to use his legs
His legs would be a bonus but he’s got to do everything else better than he’s previously performed.

This is definitely a reset for HH. I really like the QBs we have and hopefully HB or HH take the reins and run with it. I would like to see Salter redshirt for a year if possible. I am actually pretty excited to see what this looks like in the spring.

Reactions: drvenner

I get what you're saying but he left because he wasn't the solution. Fuentes has a track record of being a really good qb coach and OC. Hooker lost out to a more talented qb and he left. The old saying here is true and has been ay UT the back up qb is always the most popular. Yes he can run but in order to get talented Wrs you hv to put a product that attracts them aka throw the ball.

Tifwiw my guy that plays on the team told me Hooker looks like the early favorite as the starter and is a natural leader... I’m not rooting for any Qb either way I just want the best to play m just dropping that little bit of info in here

I was wondering if he was on campus or not. He would have been at a big disadvantage if he wasn’t with the tiger 3 on campus.

I get what you're saying but he left because he wasn't the solution. Fuentes has a track record of being a really good qb coach and OC. Hooker lost out to a more talented qb and he left. The old saying here is true and has been ay UT the back up qb is always the most popular. Yes he can run but in order to get talented Wrs you hv to put a product that attracts them aka throw the ball.

I don’t know that he is the guy. I just liked watching him plays in limited games I saw him play in he made some electric plays. I guess I watched the good ones he played on lol. I think either way in a competition of HB, Salter, Hooker, and BM that we will be happy with whoever wins that competition with this staff calling the offense.

Reactions: orange parmejohn
I was checking the futures bets for the 2021 Heisman and Hooker was listed at 50 to 1. Also Bailey was listed as well at 100 to 1. Right now Vegas sees Hooker as the starter. Not sure I necessarily agree but interesting.

He doesn’t need to. Because he can throw the ball. However, go to the Vandy game and you will see Bailey’s running ability when he has to. He is fast enough to still pick up yards with his legs if he needs to.
I think with the O-line learning and developing the new offense, the more dynamic runner might be a need.

He doesn’t need to. Because he can throw the ball. However, go to the Vandy game and you will see Bailey’s running ability when he has to. He is fast enough to still pick up yards with his legs if he needs to.

This is true. I was pleasantly surprised by it too. Bailey looks to be a potentially great option. However, I think far too many people are counting out Brian.

Kid has accuracy and arm strength. Good leader and teammate plus he's legit quick.
If things start to click between the ears, I think he's going to be hard to beat

Regardless of OUR individual preferences, for the first time in forever I have faith that the eventual starter will have been properly evaluated and readied for the job. There are professionals in charge of this position group and no preconceived bias or agendas. I may or may not agree with the choice, but I’ll be comfortable knowing that I’m justified or just plain wrong.

Good conversation, the key is going to be who gets the ball to Jones, Hyatt, etc and enables them to make plays.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back