Can We Retain Henry T and QC

Why do we get butt hurt over the idea of college football players being paid more than a scholarship plus room and board plus a small stipend? How does it hurt Tennessee if the NCAA approves more money coming their way?

Also, the reason they don’t need to wait like everyone else on academic or other scholarships is that they produce money for the school while they are a student athlete. UT makes millions of dollar selling because of their performance every year. Academic scholarship students or military service scholarship students don’t generate income for the university while they are students. (But kudos to those receiving academic scholarships, and nothing but gratitude and appreciation for those with military service scholarships).

I thought I saw QC in the workout video released today! Maybe he is buying back in? I’m not judging the mindset or past performance of anyone who played these last couple of years. Being confused in that environment could be expected.

Reactions: 901 Orange
Guarantee ya all these posters saying "give your all for Tennessee or GTFO, you don't get to come back if you enter the transfer portal" will be the ones *****ing the loudest and the longest about LB play if HT and QC do decide to leave, and probably the same ones *****ing about the coaches as well.
I believe the biggest issue is that our best player on defense is likely going to our school's biggest, most hated rival. FANS have a right to be outraged. It's right on par with little Butch tucking tail and running to daddy Saban, then posing for the cigar photo after Bama thrashed us with his recruits. Petty **** like that deserves the ire of a dedicated fanbase.

Personally think if daddy T. really did make those comments then he's already gone. Probably just waiting for a spot to open up like Larry said.

I’m honestly not worried about it at this point.
Same. I just hope the guys we have play well enough to be proud of themselves... If we were on the fringe of being good I may care more but we aren't competing for the East anytime soon so I'm cool with a clean slate of quality young men who want to be here. Talent will come once Heup (and Banks) proves his competence.

I absolutely agree and much respect for your sons!

I wonder if people don’t realize the benefits these athletes are already getting (obviously an education) but stipends that are literally enough to make new car payments! (And this athlete I was referring to wasn’t even a football player so imagine the stipends they get!)

And as far as the, “Well they don’t care about getting a free education, that’s not why they’re there.” DON’T CARE. That is the deal THEY made!
My youngest son is an aviation major and plans to fly for the AF following school. It is a dream for him plus he'll make good money. But the last 6 years have involved a lot of Ramen Noodles. We've helped a lot but aviation increases the cost of a degree by about 50% due to fees. My other son was a Business major and finished school (with some help from us) with no debt. The concept of sacrifice-reward is badly needed by our younger generations. Thankfully my kids picked that part up.

This may be too personal for me to be patient for those arguing the other side. My kids didn't get gratification in college though they made a lot of sacrifice. I don't think it is asking too much of guys on a full ride to wait until they graduate to see the financial fruit.

Reactions: J-P and T_Vol376
My youngest son is an aviation major and plans to fly for the AF following school. It is a dream for him plus he'll make good money. But the last 6 years have involved a lot of Ramen Noodles. We've helped a lot but aviation increases the cost of a degree by about 50% due to fees.

This may be too personal for me to be patient for those arguing the other side. My kids didn't get gratification in college though they made a lot of sacrifice. I don't think it is asking too much of guys on a full ride to wait until they graduate to see the financial fruit.

Have to think that if it were profitable to have a semi pro league to host future NFL athletes rather than they go to college and pay them money rather than scholarships then someone would have already done that.

Have to think that if it were profitable to have a semi pro league to host future NFL athletes rather than they go to college and pay them money rather than scholarships then someone would have already done that.
IIRC, the NFL has specifically not done it to help support college football. Their rules about the number of years between HS graduation and draft status support CFB.

College football would be more like college baseball if that change occurred. Most of the 5* type guys would play for pay in a developmental league. But there would still be a lot of quality players from CFB that got drafted. It would most definitely "level the playing field" between programs like Bama and even Vandy.

The bad part is that all this "unfairness" leaves guys who are overrated or who get injured or for some other reason do not get drafted with a GREAT back up plan. A developmental league could leave a lot of guys with no safety net and no future outside of football.

Yeah, why would the NFL trouble itself with paying and developing 18-year-olds? CFB does it for them.

Congrats to your kids for their hard work. Truly, they seem to have great heads on their shoulders.

For your aviator son, how would you feel if he flew paying customers every weekend for the school, and the school made millions of dollars off of your son’s flying ability? The better your son flew, the more money the school made, but he was still eating ramen every night. The difference between football players and other students is they are generating immense amounts of income for the school, while other students don’t do that.

Congrats to your kids for their hard work. Truly, they seem to have great heads on their shoulders.

For your aviator son, how would you feel if he flew paying customers every weekend for the school, and the school made millions of dollars off of your son’s flying ability? The better your son flew, the more money the school made, but he was still eating ramen every night. The difference between football players and other students is they are generating immense amounts of income for the school, while other students don’t do that.

Lol....They aren't eating Ramen noodles. Still a good analogy anyways 👍

My youngest son is an aviation major and plans to fly for the AF following school. It is a dream for him plus he'll make good money. But the last 6 years have involved a lot of Ramen Noodles. We've helped a lot but aviation increases the cost of a degree by about 50% due to fees. My other son was a Business major and finished school (with some help from us) with no debt. The concept of sacrifice-reward is badly needed by our younger generations. Thankfully my kids picked that part up.

I totally agree! Mine graduated with help from us + student loans - and there was a lot of sacrifice on all our parts. These athletes are treated well - people just do not know how much they have access to. I know because my child worked in athletics at UT. They are wanting for absolutely nothing and are already “getting paid” via generous stipends.

I totally agree! Mine graduated with help from us + student loans - and there was a lot of sacrifice on all our parts. These athletes are treated well - people just do not know how much they have access to. I know because my child worked in athletics at UT. They are wanting for absolutely nothing and are already “getting paid” via generous stipends.
Can you share more about the stipends? How much do they get and what can they be used for?

I'm asking partly because I'd like to compare to what a someone working 20 hours per week delivering pizzas or flipping burgers might make.

For your aviator son, how would you feel if he flew paying customers every weekend for the school, and the school made millions of dollars off of your son’s flying ability?
Well, since a new commercial co-pilot can make as little as $40,000 for airlines making billions of dollars... I think trading that work for a full scholarship and benefits worth well over $50K per year would be a good deal for him plus the incredible resume boost for when he graduated.

But your comparison can be made even more direct. My son is doing his part to protect the country (that has a GDP of around $20 Trillion and many rich people/businesses) in exchange for covering about 2/3 of his education costs. If he wanted to take the "I'm a victim" point of view that some of you think should be affirmed for these players... he's drastically underpaid. But that isn't his pov. He made an agreement (six years) that will facilitate him getting an education for a career that he wants. He understands that the dividends from that investment come later and possibly much later.

A pilot must have a certain number of hours before even applying to become a commercial pilot. A student gets much less than half of what they need in their college career. The rest has to be made up as a flight instructor, military, or some other job. The private jobs don't pay well at all. As a flight instructor making maybe $15/hr, making up those hours can take 3 or 4 years more of eating Ramen Noodles. So in their late 20's they're finally able to make the "big bucks" of a $40K-$50K starting salary. Others like my son take the military route so they can fly immediately and also build up their hours.

The athletes are similar... except they get more direct benefits and perks. And almost all that get a degree will have a good job waiting on them at a better than average salary.

The better your son flew, the more money the school made, but he was still eating ramen every night. The difference between football players and other students is they are generating immense amounts of income for the school, while other students don’t do that.
Well... the players aren't eating Ramen Noodles, are they? They're eating at a training table prepared by a professional chef and staff.

And once again... there is nothing immoral or unjust about delayed gratification.

Last edited:
There was a hype video a day or so ago with the team in the weight room, Crouch is in the video wearing TN clothes and going through the workout like any other guy. Thoughts? I think it’s pretty lame to be able to workout, eat, etc on the schools dime if there’s even a chance you won’t be on the team. GBO

The only difference here is how much the university is making off the athletes vs being a regular student. Its hard to convince a kid to eat top ramen when they see the school bring in millions off their blood, sweat, & tears.

Reactions: BlinghamptonVol
Can you share more about the stipends? How much do they get and what can they be used for?

I'm asking partly because I'd like to compare to what a someone working 20 hours per week delivering pizzas or flipping burgers might make.

I don’t know any amounts or any rules but I know it was enough to make a car payment.

Reactions: sjt18
The only difference here is how much the university is making off the athletes vs being a regular student. Its hard to convince a kid to eat top ramen when they see the school bring in millions off their blood, sweat, & tears.
No. NO. A BILLION times NO!!!!!!

Whatever business you work for may make millions or billions. We have privates humping a ruck in God forsaken places around the world to secure that for you. At home, their wives are working two jobs and drawing food stamps to make ends meet. They're sacrificing in hopes of a better future for themselves and their families... but also for you and others.

These athletes are NOT being victimized in any way, shape, or form. They are receiving a unique, incredible PRIVILEGE that they should be grateful for every day.

And bottom line... if they don't like that deal... they do not have to take it. They don't have to keep taking it even now. How many 10's of thousands of kids with less talent wouldn't love to take their places?

There was a hype video a day or so ago with the team in the weight room, Crouch is in the video wearing TN clothes and going through the workout like any other guy. Thoughts? I think it’s pretty lame to be able to workout, eat, etc on the schools dime if there’s even a chance you won’t be on the team. GBO
I think it would be pretty dumb not to do everything you can to pull a player of his caliber back into the team. They should involve him every way they can. UT gave Jennings a route back and rightly so. These guys should be given the best route back possible.

He and Henry T both reacted to Pruitt being fired. They've had time to work through it some. They'll have regrets no matter what they do. If the new staff and their team mates can win them over then that's good for them and UT.

Reactions: Gnew6011vfl
... FANS have a right to be outraged. It's right on par with little Butch tucking tail and running to daddy Saban, then posing for the cigar photo after Bama thrashed us with his recruits. Petty **** like that deserves the ire of a dedicated fanbase.

I know you love UT and can feel however you want. I personally cannot be upset at anyone who gets fired and has some fun putting it to the former employer. We didn't want him so I don’t care.

No. NO. A BILLION times NO!!!!!!

Whatever business you work for may make millions or billions. We have privates humping a ruck in God forsaken places around the world to secure that for you. At home, their wives are working two jobs and drawing food stamps to make ends meet. They're sacrificing in hopes of a better future for themselves and their families... but also for you and others.

These athletes are NOT being victimized in any way, shape, or form. They are receiving a unique, incredible PRIVILEGE that they should be grateful for every day.

And bottom line... if they don't like that deal... they do not have to take it. They don't have to keep taking it even now. How many 10's of thousands of kids with less talent wouldn't love to take their places?
So the unique, incredible privilege is you make 100's of millions off my body and in return you give me free school & a roomate smfh. They are not in the regular workforce so the same rules dont apply. Regular students can go to school for free if they have the grades. How is their physical health compromised ??Thats not a privilege that's called hard work. There are tons of athletes who also recieve academic scholarships. They still play football and they still generate millions for the schools. NCAA football aint a privilege its a competition plain and simple. Thats why they have multi million dollar tv deals, media deals, & big brand sponsors. 100% of NFL players come from somebody's school. The NCAA is a farm system. The players deserve to be paid.

Reactions: BlinghamptonVol

VN Store

Back