Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pruitt is employed by the New York Giants right now. He didn't stay unemployed very long. I'm sure he'll have a very long career coaching defense in the NFL if that's what he chooses to do.

Pruitt in NY ...
tenor.gif

Employers pay us for what we can do. That always comes down to a talent, whether physical or mental. The high IQ will serve you for your entire life and has broad market application. The physical talents may not, and have only limited market application, although the ceiling is crazy high. If I have the choice, I take the brain.
Grit matters too. I forget who, but some TED superstar woman wrote a book about grit being the most defining aspect of successful people - the ability to not quit on a problem or situation and preservering. I agree intelligence is a huge factor (much more than experience, despite current HR practices), but if you can mesh it with "grit"...that's a deadly combo. And either one separately can be pretty dang strong too.

Siap, but last time I saw the bylaws - if a player enters the portal any time after classes have begun, then his scholarship for that 1 semester is still guaranteed. But nothing further.

If a player enters before the semester begins, then the school has no obligation, but I'm sure schools are strategic depending on the player/situation.

I’d love to see that bylaw. I don’t believe it exist. I am almost certain once a player enters the portal their $ can be removed. Thus why there was a report that Morris was taken off money

Edit: I am an illiterate dumb ass I guess

Last edited:
Grit matters too. I forget who, but some TED superstar woman wrote a book about grit being the most defining aspect of successful people - the ability to not quit on a problem or situation and preservering. I agree intelligence is a huge factor (much more than experience, despite current HR practices), but if you can mesh it with "grit"...that's a deadly combo. And either one separately can be pretty dang strong too.

I believe that merit/effort/grit is a micro effect and talent is macro. Effort will allow you to be the best version of yourself, but make no mistake, the guy with no marketable skills and a great work ethic, has a much lower ceiling than a lazy genius or artist or athlete with exceptional talents. Digging ditches can only be worth so much.

Reactions: Devo182 and UTJoe
Agree - spinal issues were already serious. He's had left knee surgery at least three times before the spinal fusion. Now he's got both legs messed up to go with the spinal issues.

Time for him to just try to live normally and without pain.
That may not be possible for him to do

Reactions: VolsDoc81TX
I’d love to see that bylaw. I don’t believe it exist. I am almost certain once a player enters the portal their $ can be removed. Thus why there was a report that Morris was taken off money

This site says end of semester unless the athlete enters the portal before classes begin: "Also for Division I athletes, remember that once you tell your school you want to be entered in the Transfer Portal, they have the right to cancel your scholarship at the end of the semester or quarter, even if you were planning to finish out the current school year. If you are at a Division I program that hasn’t started classes yet for this year (mostly west coast universities), telling them now that you want to be entered in the Transfer Portal before classes begin could mean that you won’t have your scholarship for this upcoming semester or quarter. "

Consider Consequences Before Transferring from an NCAA Program - Informed Athlete

This site says end of semester unless the athlete enters the portal before classes begin: "Also for Division I athletes, remember that once you tell your school you want to be entered in the Transfer Portal, they have the right to cancel your scholarship at the end of the semester or quarter, even if you were planning to finish out the current school year. If you are at a Division I program that hasn’t started classes yet for this year (mostly west coast universities), telling them now that you want to be entered in the Transfer Portal before classes begin could mean that you won’t have your scholarship for this upcoming semester or quarter. "

Consider Consequences Before Transferring from an NCAA Program - Informed Athlete

yea that makes sense

No way a kid could go thru spring practice and enter the portal in the summer and the school have to keep them on scholarship during the season. No idea where @Devo182 got that

Last edited:
Self-employed/contractors/independent agents (you insurance peeps) - possibly big changes coming to PPP loans (in a good way) as soon as tomorrow. Just a heads up for any such folks. And if you haven't gotten your free monies yet...5 weeks left. Fully forgivable loan (just call it a grant)...don't miss out VN homies.

I believe that merit/effort/grit is a micro effect and talent is macro. Effort will allow you to be the best version of yourself, but make no mistake, the guy with no marketable skills and a great work ethic, has a much lower ceiling than a lazy genius or artist or athlete with exceptional talents. Digging ditches can only be worth so much.
I agree, to an extent. I believe the merit/effort/grit has to be there before the lazy genius or exceptional talent, or else the genius or those talents are never realized.

Reactions: Devo182
Self-employed/contractors/independent agents (you insurance peeps) - possibly big changes coming to PPP loans (in a good way) as soon as tomorrow. Just a heads up for any such folks. And if you haven't gotten your free monies yet...5 weeks left. Fully forgivable loan (just call it a grant)...don't miss out VN homies.

Devo, doesn’t this round have a requirement that your income was down at least 25%? I haven’t looked at the exact terms recently but saw that as a stipulation when this second round was first discussed.

He entered 1 week before classes began.

I could be misremembering, but that's how I read it a year or two ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back