Can We Retain Henry T and QC

Let's put it like this: If you're better half broke it off with you and wanted to start dating other people and then 3 weeks later decided she wanted to come back. Do you think she is committed to that relationship or is it just convenient?

Maybe. Maybe not.

Maybe she couldn't find anyone else interested, or maybe the experience helped her understand how good she really had it.

I have no issues with players entering the portal when there is a coaching change, and if once the change happens, the player decided to stay, for whatever reason, I have no issues with that either. The players compete for themselves and their teammates, first. If they continue to do that with maximum effort. I say all is well.

Let's put it like this: If you're better half broke it off with you and wanted to start dating other people and then 3 weeks later decided she wanted to come back. Do you think she is committed to that relationship or is it just convenient?

No, let's not put it that way. Because it's a bad analogy. A really, really bad analogy.

Maybe. Maybe not.

Maybe she couldn't find anyone else interested, or maybe the experience helped her understand how good she really had it.

I have no issues with players entering the portal when there is a coaching change, and if once the change happens, the player decided to stay, for whatever reason, I have no issues with that either. The players compete for themselves and their teammates, first. If they continue to do that with maximum effort. I say all is well.
If a player is sitting the bench and may get playing time somewhere else then I wouldn't have an issue with it but that is not the case here.

Since you know they are leaving in a year or two anyway, I’ll take it.

Reactions: ProudVOLfan
We need these guys to stay, to help with the defense. Help Heupel out. With our offense getting off of the ground, I think these two could really help slow down some offenses. I feel confident that we could get off the field a lot.

Well I definitely don't want his dad on the team.

tenor.gif

Reactions: Myrtleturtle
Hopefully HT and Crouch both stay, have stellar years, stay healthy, and offer a lot of crow by the troughs full for so many who have trashed them on nothing more than speculation in this thread. Entering the portal does not mean they leave school, it means they MAY leave , sort of like an insurance policy. However seeing how some of the fanbase has trashed these two youngsters it's hard to make an argument for them staying.

So everyone violating the rules is a justification for breaking the rules? Do you have kids?

Or... maybe it is past time to enforce the rules on everyone and stop punishing schools that self-police? Maybe instead of having a contest to see who can cheat the best... we modify the rules so a kid can get a supervised job or some other legitimate source of extra income?

This!!! The attitude that “everyone does it,” and normalizing it is sickening. As you said - modify the rules so this doesn’t go on. That said, athletes already get their school paid for AND they get a stipend. I know of one athlete whose stipend was enough to make a car payment. How much do they need? Good grief!

TBH I hope not. Maybe I'm old school but if a player doesn't want to be here and give his all then he should go elsewhere. It better for all parties involved. Didn't HTs dad run his mouth about UT?
They could change their minds, which would mean they want to be here.

Too old school JMO IMO TIFWIW

Reactions: ProudVOLfan
This!!! The attitude that “everyone does it,” and normalizing it is sickening. As you said - modify the rules so this doesn’t go on. That said, athletes already get their school paid for AND they get a stipend. I know of one athlete whose stipend was enough to make a car payment. How much do they need? Good grief!
My sons both joined the Air Guard to pay for college. One lost a summer and a semester. The other was delayed a full year from starting college. I'm not complaining since they gained great experience and learned that you make sacrifices to get where you want to go. That's much of the issue I have with these athletes. They're getting an education and benefits that amount to something close to $50K per year. They'll have relationships with employers and others that can help start their post-college, non-football careers that other kids cannot even dream of.

Even my sons who both have security clearances and can say they worked on the B-2 bomber won't get those kinds of "ins" with employers. If boosters want to "compensate" players... maybe they should promise them good paying jobs when they graduate? Sign-on bonuses? Above market salaries? These players aren't going to "suffer" poverty during their college careers. They can wait to be rewarded like everyone else.

My sons both joined the Air Guard to pay for college. One lost a summer and a semester. The other was delayed a full year from starting college. I'm not complaining since they gained great experience and learned that you make sacrifices to get where you want to go. That's much of the issue I have with these athletes. They're getting an education and benefits that amount to something close to $50K per year. They'll have relationships with employers and others that can help start their post-college, non-football careers that other kids cannot even dream of.

Even my sons who both have security clearances and can say they worked on the B-2 bomber won't get those kinds of "ins" with employers. If boosters want to "compensate" players... maybe they should promise them good paying jobs when they graduate? Sign-on bonuses? Above market salaries? These players aren't going to "suffer" poverty during their college careers. They can wait to be rewarded like everyone else.

I absolutely agree and much respect for your sons!

I wonder if people don’t realize the benefits these athletes are already getting (obviously an education) but stipends that are literally enough to make new car payments! (And this athlete I was referring to wasn’t even a football player so imagine the stipends they get!)

And as far as the, “Well they don’t care about getting a free education, that’s not why they’re there.” DON’T CARE. That is the deal THEY made!

Reactions: sjt18

VN Store

Back