D’Angelo Gibbs

Ummmm nope.

The roster is actually much better than most seem to think.

Who are the best players returning on offense and defense? I’m assuming Harrison Bailey is the best on offense, right?

sure hope they improve under this new staff or were screwed
Me too. I hope scheme helps them some too.

I am honestly not looking for "great" things from the D. I'm hoping they can play well enough that Heupel's O can win some games. I'd count anything around 25 ppg allowed by the D a "win".

VQ said Gibbs is probably done. His last act was getting in a fight with jahmir Johnson and jay graham had to break it up

Reactions: BreatheUT
I hate most Gators but 99 is an exception. He is consistently respectful and he has a point, we are not doing Heupel and Company a damn bit of good with the 6-6 floor talk. We will be lucky as hell to go 6-6. This program incredibly is lower than it was when Dooley, Butch or Pruitt took over. We have been publicly kicked in the nuts repeatedly for almost 15 years. We are the laughing stock of CFB. We can come back but we've got to give Heupel job security so he can build something. Depending on what the sanctions are we could have up to 3 years before Heupel even has a reasonably even playing field.
Unfortunately, the Twidiot brigade won’t see it this way and will be screaming for his head by mid season, next season, if it even takes that long. Hell, many aren’t even willing to give him a shot and already have their minds made up now.
🤷‍♂️
GBO!!

Who are the best players left on offense and defense? I’m assuming Harrison Bailey is the best on offense, right?
No. He will be in a 3 way battle to start. Offensively, UT has a lot of untapped talent and potential. Heupel may or may not be able to convert that to production but the talent is there. Spraggins is a name you should get familiar with on the OL. Badly underrated as a recruit IMO. There is good experience if not the raw talent of the last couple of years on the OL. Heupel's O is also a lot more friendly to OL's.

The previous scheme demanded by Pruitt was VERY deliberate and often predictable. JG's inability to make quick reads and throw on time and target allowed opposing back 7's to play on their toes and take a step toward the LOS with plenty of time to react to play action. That meant the OL had to try to block what amounted to an 8 man box on every play. Because of the style Pruitt wanted to play the O was painfully predictable. He believed that his OL should be able to dominate any way. Not realistic in this era of CFB.

Beckwith is the kind of flex player that with good coaching and a playmaker friendly O can cause a lot of problems. Velus Jones, Hyatt, Keyton, Tillman, and Wideman are guys I'm hoping to see emerge. Tons of talent. Jabari Small is a guy who should have gotten more carries last year in spite of Gray and Chandler. Lots of excitement too about the incoming #1 JUCO RB.

Normally, I would count inexperienced talent as a fairly strong negative. It may well be. But I think there's a possibility that CJH's O might come easier to someone who hasn't learned something else.

On D the secondary should be decent. They are a bunch of "no names" on the DL... but depending on what Solomon does... six of the top 7 are 4th, 5th, or 6th year players. What they lack in pure talent is offset some by lots of experience. LB is up in the air. Everyone seems to think they know what Henry T is doing. I won't until he either stays or goes. He'd obviously be UT's best player on D if he returned.

I'm not predicting UT to compete for the East. I am predicting that with a relatively weak OOC schedule they could win as many as 8 games. Ole Miss as the crossover game helps. IMHO, it comes down to coaching. This team should at least 6 games. Coaching failed badly last year. But it was mostly a failure of philosophy. Pruitt was still trying to play 1990's Fulmer ball. He had a MUCH better roster than 3 wins.

Last edited:
Lots of talent especially if we can salvage these LBs. Inexperienced but... we look great.
I'm still hesitant to say great based on what looks to be really good potential. We still don't know how good those guys actually are... or if the staff can compete at the SEC level. It is enough to have some hope though. The schedule cooperates too. Ole Miss looks like a mid-pack West team. Glad not to have LSU, TAM, or even a better coached Auburn team. The OOC schedule isn't scary. The Vols only have to handle the mess USCe currently is and Vandy to get to 6 wins. Ole Miss, UK, and Mizzou to me come down to how well the team masters the schemes... and coaching.

To me, it would be a bad sign if they do not win 6 games with this schedule.

I'm confused! I've read a dozen posts and all were different. If it's hearsay, you might of heard, rumor, or you just made it up will put an asterisk by your post.

Depends on how the coaches vet them. If you have players on your team that don't want to compete with other good players then that's a different and worse problem.
Some players would think that is denying them the opportunity that they worked for.
I would think that gaining players from the portal means losing players to the portal.
When the one free transfer rule takes effect it will get wild.

According to what I’ve seen of what you post any thing we do is the wrong thing so I chose to trust our coaches instead of you thanks
You are what your record says you are.
Enlighten us on what you think has been done right in the last 11 years, I would appreciate particular emphasis on how well trusting our coaches has worked out. Thanks.

Pitt will be better than you think they're hardly a cupcake.

Agree. Narduzzi has Pitt playing pretty good football. They struggle to compete with the upper echelon of the ACC but has several upsets of top teams. He is actually who I thought might be a reasonable hire when they went after Pruitt.

QB - it is absolutely underrated on our roster. You can't go buy what Pruitt put on the field.

RB- We have a 6'5 235 RB that runs 4.4. Another that runs 4.3. And the top JUCO back coming in.
WR- speed everywhere.

OL. A lot of experience and good talent that was underutilized.

DL- (see OL)

Uncertainty everywhere else.

Yeah. Our roster was much worse coming into 2017 and 2013...

All depends on coaching. If Pruitt was recruiting 6-7th best talent in the SEC then good coaching should compete with everyone on the schedule except the big 3. Not saying he wins 9 games but .500 seems possible. Coaching has been non-existent for 4 years.

Best player will probably be someone from the Oline. I know this sounds crazy but lots of those guys were highly rated but poorly coached. Could see a couple get drafted.

Don't do this to yourself.

Don't you have some business over in Gayturland or does your own kind not even allow you over there. Never understood how a fan of an opposing team would be wanted or even want to hang out in a rivsl teams forum. Very creepy and sad. You don't know what our roster holds anymore than any of us do. So go worry about your team instead of hanging out here with your unnecessary negativity. There's too much of that from some Vol fans, which is bad enough without you piling on without any knowledge of the situation. If you're determined to hang out in rival forums, go check out Oklahoma's! I'm sure that beatdown they gave UF would make for a great talking point!

Reactions: Border Vol
No. He will be in a 3 way battle to start. Offensively, UT has a lot of untapped talent and potential. Heupel may or may not be able to convert that to production but the talent is there. Spraggins is a name you should get familiar with on the OL. Badly underrated as a recruit IMO. There is good experience if not the raw talent of the last couple of years on the OL. Heupel's O is also a lot more friendly to OL's.

The previous scheme demanded by Pruitt was VERY deliberate and often predictable. JG's inability to make quick reads and throw on time and target allowed opposing back 7's to play on their toes and take a step toward the LOS with plenty of time to react to play action. That meant the OL had to try to block what amounted to an 8 man box on every play. Because of the style Pruitt wanted to play the O was painfully predictable. He believed that his OL should be able to dominate any way. Not realistic in this era of CFB.

Beckwith is the kind of flex player that with good coaching and a playmaker friendly O can cause a lot of problems. Velus Jones, Hyatt, Keyton, Tillman, and Wideman are guys I'm hoping to see emerge. Tons of talent. Jabari Small is a guy who should have gotten more carries last year in spite of Gray and Chandler. Lots of excitement too about the incoming #1 JUCO RB.

Normally, I would count inexperienced talent as a fairly strong negative. It may well be. But I think there's a possibility that CJH's O might come easier to someone who hasn't learned something else.

On D the secondary should be decent. They are a bunch of "no names" on the DL... but depending on what Solomon does... six of the top 7 are 4th, 5th, or 6th year players. What they lack in pure talent is offset some by lots of experience. LB is up in the air. Everyone seems to think they know what Henry T is doing. I won't until he either stays or goes. He'd obviously be UT's best player on D if he returned.

I'm not predicting UT to compete for the East. I am predicting that with a relatively weak OOC schedule they could win as many as 8 games. Ole Miss as the crossover game helps. IMHO, it comes down to coaching. This team should at least 6 games. Coaching failed badly last year. But it was mostly a failure of philosophy. Pruitt was still trying to play 1990's Fulmer ball. He had a MUCH better roster than 3 wins.
I'm with you on offense. If we can find a QB that gives us solid play, I have faith that a lot of guys will pop this year. We were very limited last year in what we could do. Find a QB and LT, and we've got a lot of skill players w/ talent. Hyatt, Wideman, Velus, etc. are probably the best athletes this staff has had.

I'm still hesitant to say great based on what looks to be really good potential. We still don't know how good those guys actually are... or if the staff can compete at the SEC level. It is enough to have some hope though. The schedule cooperates too. Ole Miss looks like a mid-pack West team. Glad not to have LSU, TAM, or even a better coached Auburn team. The OOC schedule isn't scary. The Vols only have to handle the mess USCe currently is and Vandy to get to 6 wins. Ole Miss, UK, and Mizzou to me come down to how well the team masters the schemes... and coaching.

To me, it would be a bad sign if they do not win 6 games with this schedule.
True great is a strong word. In fact I think I was being lazy in communication. I am hoping for solid.

Agree. Narduzzi has Pitt playing pretty good football. They struggle to compete with the upper echelon of the ACC but has several upsets of top teams. He is actually who I thought might be a reasonable hire when they went after Pruitt.

Sickening; isn't it.

Ok, well let's do something not common on this board. Let's have a rational discussion.

Why is the roster not that bad?

What position group or unit is in the top half of the league?

What part of the roster do you look at and believe meets the standard of Tennessee football?
I think the receiving group is actually going to be quite respectable this year. Get back with me in December

VN Store

Back