Brooks conditionally released from LOI (Update: Unconditional Release)

Should coaches be made to stay until the end of their contract?
Exactly...I get and understand the thought of the transfer portal being a bad thing by not teaching these young people responsibility to commitment.
But let's try to boil that down to the average Joe. If the average person isn't satisfied with their employment situation, they will make a change.
If an average student doesn't believe they are getting the proper education, they will make a change.
Why should an athlete be held to any other standard?

If you are going to use the scholarship commitment, keep in mid that those scholarships only go from year to year - or time period to time period similar to an average joe's paycheck.

Reactions: VolNExile
They took shots at UT and Saban... for playing by the existing rules. If the rules need to be changed then change them. But recruiting isn't a "nice guy" sort of business. The class restrictions and such assure that. Being "nice" to a recruit means undermining your own players who depend on more talented guys being brought in.

Is Saban a jerk? Probably... to a few recruits and everyone who plays him. But he's putting the people who are on HIS team ahead of people that don't want to be on his team. It wasn't a secret to any of those guys in those over full classes that they might end up in limbo... they could have found a new program any time.

Reactions: Border Vol
Recruiting class has dropped to 19th on 247. What a difference a few months can make, remember when we had the #1 class in the nation.
The class was never #1... that was a false narrative. UT's recruit average ranking was never going to support anything better than a finish between 7 and 15.

In a typical year, this would be pretty perplexing. I don't think the RB was a huge loss since that is a pretty full room and his style doesn't seem to be a match. Brooks hurts but would hurt more without the "free year" that enables some DL's to come back and grants another year to potential transfers in. You never want to lose a kid with this talent... but maybe some of the incentive he had to attend UT left with Pruitt?

Reactions: dduncan4163
This transfer portal BS is really enforcing the “safe space” ideology. Don’t get me wrong. I don’t want the kid on the Hill if he doesn’t want to be on the Hill. But in all reality, this is teaching our kids to run away from a situation that they don’t find favorable. Is that what they will continue to do all of their lives or will they ever learn to stand up and face a challenge head on? What if their future boss retires or takes another job. Will they quit too because they loved their boss and really wanted to work for him/her their entire lives? Poor babies.

I disagree. If I personally agreed to join a company because they have a great leader (Lee Iacocca for instance) and he leaves, I have every right to change my mind. What would be terrible is if I was forced to still go to that company. And yes, often, when a Boss leaves a company, many employees also leave. Who knows, maybe the new boss is a real ( ! ). Why would you stay then?

So, we are up to three “well bye” post. Original and creative.

Totally agree. I guess people think it’s “cool” for some reason.

Excellent. Glad to see the Official Thread Coolness, Originality, and Creativity Police (OTCOCP) have reviewd the thread and rendered a Official Smug Opinion (OSO).

An OSO properly entered by the OTCOCP is essential to determine the humor and appropriateness of any thread. We all salute you volunteering for this very (self) important role! :)

Reactions: FLVOL_79
Looks like are going to have a skeleton of a defense this year, we better score a lot of points to compete.

I have a tendency to agree with you. However, other schools do this. Alabama and Nick Saban do it all the time, so if they are doing it then UT must do it or be at a competitive disadvantage. Let's all play by the same rules which should also be what is in the best interest of the student-athlete. Again, we will be vilified on social media and Bama gets another pass.
Exactly, we need to stop with this soft ish. It’s clearly gotten us no where. If you ain’t with us you re against us. That’s got to be the mentality. Gotta a long long ways to go, but f the outside noise

Looks like are going to have a skeleton of a defense this year, we better score a lot of points to compete.
Could be and especially if there are lots of injuries. However I found this earlier... Not sure about a few guys they listed. I thought some left but this isn't a completely empty cupboard.

Defensive recruiting is going to be a pretty big deal though... several of these guys are the Covid plus one players.

Vols’ projected 2021 defensive depth chart 5.0

What if their future boss retires or takes another job. Will they quit too because they loved their boss and really wanted to work for him/her their entire lives?

I loved my CEO. He was a great guy. He passed away unexpectedly and the new guy absolutely sucked. I found a better job.

Yeah, that's exactly how life works.

Does it really matter at this point? This was always going to be a scorched earth situation. Class rank means diddly. It was always going to be a case of doing more with less for whomever got the job. Recruiting won't be what it was or can be until we show a good product on the field and the NCAA gets of their collective keesters and reveals what our punishment is going to be. I have zero expectations in recruiting and a won/loss record until at least year 3 of Heupel's tenure.

It doesn't matter where the class is ranked. We have who we have. There's always another crop next year. I never believed the hype Beldar had with the last class. It was only based on numbers. As soon as the other schools matched our numbers they skyrocketed past us. My guess is the final retrospective ranking will be way below what was published but it doesn't matter. Coach em up is all that matters.

I get it, guy took the job, management changed before he landed, he should have the option of changing his mind if he feels the new culture is not right for him.

That said, I would rather have a guy that commits to the place rather than just the coaching staff. Also, if you 'force' a guy to stay do ever really get everything out him that you should.

I get this argument, but management changes regularly in most career fields. There are also a lot of careers where employers make you sign a "non-compete clause" requiring you to "sit out" 6 months to a year if you move over to the competition.

Reactions: VOLinPD
Excellent. Glad to see the Official Thread Coolness, Originality, and Creativity Police (OTCOCP) have reviewd the thread and rendered a Official Smug Opinion (OSO).

An OSO properly entered by the OTCOCP is essential to determine the humor and appropriateness of any thread. We all salute you volunteering for this very (self) important role! :)
That’s it you are officially on the OTCOCP watch list!

Reactions: VolInNW
I get this argument, but management changes regularly in most career fields. There are also a lot of careers where employers make you sign a "non-compete clause" requiring you to "sit out" 6 months to a year if you move over to the competition.

Apples and oranges, but non-compete clauses are only valid if used to protect valid company interests like proprietary information and secrets. They are not valid to simply suppress competition.

Keeping a kid from competing against a school is not reasonable, especially when he barely touched down on campus and the coaches he came to learn from were flushed before he got here. The worst thing UT can do short term is to keep disgruntled kids around while trying to rebuild. They will destroy the heart of the new team. Sad he chose to leave and glad he's gone if he didn't want to be here. Both sides are better off.

Reactions: dduncan4163

Wow. Someone really likes (a very overused) meme. 😂🤣🤷🏻‍♀️

I loved my CEO. He was a great guy. He passed away unexpectedly and the new guy absolutely sucked. I found a better job.

Yeah, that's exactly how life works.

Well some of us are ex military and we couldn’t run to a safe space when commanders, LT’s, Sgt’s, etc.... that we liked transferred out. We had to suck it up and deal with whoever was next in line or transferred in. And nor do we run away outside of the military.

Reactions: CJBlaze
Recruiting class has dropped to 19th on 247. What a difference a few months can make, remember when we had the #1 class in the nation.
No I don't remember. I remember ohio state being number one and it wasn't even close. We were #2 at one point. I also remember at same time bama being like number 47. We all knew that wouldn't stick.

Oh no! The sky is falling. The sky is falling. You guys seem surprised that a couple of players wanted out because the guys who recruited them were no longer there. It happens in basketball all the time and they are allowed to transfer. I just hate it that when they transfer for UT, they end up at Oklahoma, Alabama. or Georgia. This staff will still be doing a great job here and we will recruit well in the future. We will have very competitive teams in the future and we can take care of business with the "Big" dogs then. Don't fret, be aggressive.

Reactions: Mightyvol
Ale Kaho entered the transfer portal this morning.....former 4* ILB is a junior......could not get on the field at bammer except for special teams where he excelled. He would start for us or be the first ILB off the bench......lordsaban may not allow him to go to an SEC team, however.

Well some of us are ex military and we couldn’t run to a safe space when commanders, LT’s, Sgt’s, etc.... that we liked transferred out. We had to suck it up and deal with whoever was next in line or transferred in. And nor do we run away outside of the military.

Thank you for your service.

Let's not pretend that the vast majority of careers are like the military.

Reactions: alvinkamara

VN Store

Back