'22 TN QB Ty Simpson (Alabama commit)

Sounds like staff knows he is going elsewhere. Tevin told SI that he and Sam were the two QBs on the Heup house zoom and they were told they were the top guys
Simpson hasn’t told the staffs where he’s going. Hasn’t made his decision yet.

AP said if he knows he’s picking UT, which it’s likely he’ll know prior to the announcement, he’ll drive over and cover it live. If he doesn’t know, or he’s picking someone else, AP said he won’t be covering it live. So that will be a pretty good indicator next week.

Simpson hasn’t told the staffs where he’s going. Hasn’t made his decision yet.

AP said if he knows he’s picking UT, which it’s likely he’ll know prior to the announcement, he’ll drive over and cover it live. If he doesn’t know, or he’s picking someone else, AP said he won’t be covering it live. So that will be a pretty good indicator next week.
If i'm AP id set up that PC next week at Pinehurst.

Reactions: sonofUT62
After hearing the OC and QB coaches' press conferences, it sounds like the mental part if the game is as big as the physical part. They want a guy who can read the defense and make complex decisions quickly and get the ball where it is supposed to be. That's one aspect that doesn't show up well on highlight film. I'm curious about how the three QBs compare in that manner. And I wonder if that is how they will pick their favorite option out of the QBs under consideration.
They aren't asked to make complex decisions. The offense itself is rather simple for the QB. He has to be able to make 1-2 presnap reads. Then he doesn't have to go through a bunch of progressions either. Usually just two. The way they spread out the field make a LB and usually a CB have to line up a certain way, giving up empty areas on the field, or single man coverage deep.

Reactions: T Dog and bpvol
Since both staffs made it very clear that Horn was/is their 2nd choice, I don’t think Horn will ever wear orange.
That’s a slippery slope for the overwhelming majority of high school athletes. Very few are everyone’s first choice. Probably best to approach each offer being thankful for your opportunities where and when they present themselves.

Reactions: NighthawkVol
Sam horn is better
I’ve held that opinion for 6 months or more. Hard to argue with the offer lists of each, but I attribute it to the difference in their experience playing football, Simpson’s exposure due to his father, a lack of camps for Horn between his SO and JR years due to COVID, and the threat of baseball being real for Horn. Following his JR season, more offers started to come in; Florida and FSU, particularly.

I’ve held that opinion for 6 months or more. Hard to argue with the offer lists of each, but I attribute it to the difference in their experience playing football, Simpson’s exposure due to his father, a lack of camps for Horn between his SO and JR years due to COVID, and the threat of baseball being real for Horn. Following his JR season, more offers started to come in; Florida and FSU, particularly.
You've definitely been consistent with your statement. I do think Horn has had the better high school performance especially seeing he plays a lot tougher schedule but maybe those schools like Simpson's upside more, idk. Horn is legit though and anyone that doesn't think he's AT LEAST as good as Simpson hasn't been paying attention.

Teams are looking for the next Johnny Manziel or Patrick Mahomes. Simpson has alot similar ability on high school film. Does that translate to the college level? Apparently Dabo and Saban think so.

Teams are looking for the next Johnny Manziel or Patrick Mahomes. Simpson has alot similar ability on high school film. Does that translate to the college level? Apparently Dabo and Saban think so.
I'm happy as long as we land at least one of Horn or Simpson lol...I don't think you can go wrong with either.

Last night, Carter told VR2 on SI about the call. "It was me and a few other recruits in there. We learned about the staff. Coach Heupel talked to us about his philosophy and every coach got on and gave some background information. The part that stood out to me was when I noticed how there were just two quarterbacks in there. Sam (Horn) and me. Coach Heupel told us we are the top guys for the class," he said.

Talented In-State QB Tevin Carter Discusses Recruitment, Vols, and More

That’s a slippery slope for the overwhelming majority of high school athletes. Very few are everyone’s first choice. Probably best to approach each offer being thankful for your opportunities where and when they present themselves.
Horn has enough offers to get a free education, and to pick the college with the best combined football/baseball programs.

I don’t think so
Like I posted earlier, the coaching reviews I’ve heard are very mixed. He shows flashes of playmaking ability, but I’ve also heard he improvises on nearly every play, and doesn’t really pay attention to what the play call is. Once again, that may just be some assumptions, but I trust where I’m hearing these things from, because these guys know more football than most on this board combined.

I’m of the belief he’s got a super high ceiling, but he’s going to need a lot of work to be as successful as some on this board hope for him to be. If he commits here you don’t turn him down, but if he goes elsewhere it’s not the end of the world.

Like I posted earlier, the coaching reviews I’ve heard are very mixed. He shows flashes of playmaking ability, but I’ve also heard he improvises on nearly every play, and doesn’t really pay attention to what the play call is. Once again, that may just be some assumptions, but I trust where I’m hearing these things from, because these guys know more football than most on this board combined.

I’m of the belief he’s got a super high ceiling, but he’s going to need a lot of work to be as successful as some on this board hope for him to be. If he commits here you don’t turn him down, but if he goes elsewhere it’s not the end of the world.
If you watch the tape you’ll see why he has to improvise each play. He OL and let’s be honest team look like 13 year olds. He carries the team on his back and that’s why Saban and Dabo ( who know more about football than most on this board combined including your friend you’re hearing this from) are making him their 1a QB on their board.

After watching both their junior film, I came away far more impressed with horn. He showed better touch and accuracy and was more mobile than I expected. He also put up way better stats against better competition.

If you watch the tape you’ll see why he has to improvise each play. He OL and let’s be honest team look like 13 year olds. He carries the team on his back and that’s why Saban and Dabo ( who know more about football than most on this board combined including your friend you’re hearing this from) are making him their 1a QB on their board.
I’ve seen that excuse a lot too. They’re on par with most high school lineman in the area. I’ve watched his film. He deviates...a lot. Especially when he doesn’t need to. Like I said. I’m not saying he isn’t a take, just not the messiah that most make him out to be.

After watching both their junior film, I came away far more impressed with horn. He showed better touch and accuracy and was more mobile than I expected. He also put up way better stats against better competition.

I haven’t watched Horn. The thing that stands out about Ty is his ability to make plays when pocket breaks down and goes unscripted. I suspect that is why bama/Clemson are hot for him. I do question his competition level knowing that league isn’t tough but he does show intangibles that can’t be taught. He also won’t be able to get away with some of all that twisting and turning but it shows he has that kind of mobility

VN Store

Back