Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Uhmm..that is really not true. The 2019 defense was a really good defense which was very much improved over the season before, and vastly better than the 2017 defense.

It regressed this year, but it still wasn't even close to as bad as the horrid 2017 defense.
I wouldn’t say really good. It was good for half a season. But it helped playing the worst offenses in the league in USCjr, Vandy, SCar, Mizzou, UK without their QB. Indiana actually had a pretty solid offense tho

Then we lost Sherrer, Rumph and Rocker. Warrior, Taylor, Bituli. That’s what happens when you replace good coaches with good recruiters thinking it’ll work

It’s very much true. We like to remember the games at the end of the season and forget the early rough patch. All 3 seasons they had issues lining up and unforced errors...hence my use of “never took off”. Better than the landmark 2017 defense isn’t BETTER.
Dang man...the numbers say that 2019 defense was pretty good and that it was light years better than the 2017 defense that it was just one season removed from.

Because the level of disrespect is asinine. To imply that he never even deserved to be a college coach is ludicrous. He has accomplished more as an OC and HC than probably 95% of current coaches. I hope Heupel’s offense has some gimmicks that lead us to an SEC championship and NC game. I would love those gimmicks.
Sorry to offend you, Gus.

UCF is the Cadillac of the G5, and I think he can start selling "I've been to the top of the SEC mountain" and "I will get you drafted" in ways other coaches have not been able to sell there.

They sat in the 60's with Heupel and Frost. I wouldn't be surprised if Gus and the staff he's going to build get them in the top 30.

They won't. I'd say his ceiling there would be top 45. When you consider the SEC has 14 teams and then the ACC, Big 10, Pac 12, Big 12 also have a slew of teams top 30 at any G5 would be nearly a miracle...

In fact, I don't think it's ever happened in the Power 5 era (began in 2014). Rutgers in the Big East did manage some top 30 classes though.

They won't. I'd say his ceiling there would be top 45. When you consider the SEC has 14 teams and then the ACC, Big 10, Pac 12, Big 12 also have a slew of teams top 30 at any G5 would be nearly a miracle...

In fact, I don't think it's ever happened in the 2000s. (of course this is not counting Notre Dame as a G5 school, even when they were an independent)
Western Michigan did it twice when Fleck was there, I believe.

Johnson’s dad played with Banks in Hs per 247. Strong tie there
For some reason, every time I hear the name Banks, I think of the QB we recruited out of Indianapolis back in the day. I remember him running around, like a chicken with his head cut off, tying to avoid the rush

In fact, I don't think it's ever happened in the Power 5 era (began in 2014). Rutgers in the Big East did manage some top 30 classes though.
It may be a little higher than 45 being in south Florida. I think Houston was between 35-30 the year they signed Oliver. He’ll probably average 45-55 classes with a ceiling of around 35-40. Transfers and Juco is probably where he’ll do really well

Western Michigan did it twice when Fleck was there, I believe.

According to 247

2013: 108th
2014: 71st
2015: 76th
2016: 67th

Link to check my work: Western Michigan 2016 Football Commits

It hasn't happened, I looked it up before making that statement. No Group of 5 has finished top 30 since 2014 when the "Power 5 & Group of 5" were created.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back