Cold hard truth

with Fulky and Pons compromised and seemingly not much front court depth behind them the BasketVols are probably going to have to overachieve to get very far in the post season.

the back court doesn't really have a true point guard and Springer is the only semi-dynamic ball handler.

national pundits are overestimating the post season for our boys.

Go Vols
So are a good many of our fans. Teams have us scouted now. We will have a tough time beating most tournament worthy teams with Pons and Fulky playing as they are right now. I have zero confidence in our outside shooting and half court offense....if you can call what we do a half court offense.

Reactions: 08Vol
I think the only way this team gets hot enough to make a run. IS.... If SV , Pons & Baiey Jr. all hit over 50% of their 3's, a lot to ask but can happen over a 3 or 4 game stretch. Feel JS & KJ will be bringing it every game by NCAA's. Also get to the line at least equal to the foe and hold TO's & points off TO's to equal or less. Other than that perfect storm happening this team will have an early exit. We are just not a team that can pass it around and then give it to a big and let him go to work.

No low post presence. Going to be tough to go very far in either tournament. Teams just pack it in and wait til we get cold from the perimeter. Fulkerson just isn't much of a offensive threat and gets pushed under the basket too much. This team needs to run run run. It's their only chance to go far.. Create offense and force fouls..

The only improvement that I have seen with this team is with Keon and Jaden and I would put Olivier in his limited minutes. I think Fulky had his feelings hurt not starting against LSU and his play showed that, some of the turnovers and pass outs he did were not traditional Fulky. This team is what it is, we will be led into postseason on the wings of two freshmen since senior leadership is not there. They will lose in first weekend, it is what it is.

Reactions: 08Vol and djohnnyg
Yes this team can get hot but I think our ceiling is the Sweet 16 round. If Pons and Fulk get back healthy and play to their full ability and the two freshmen continue to get better we can get there, possibly beyond. Not having a true big man hurts but we can overcome that with good play at the other spots but where I see we struggle the most is with fast point guards like Pinson at Mizzou and Smart at LSU. Those guys drove to basket whenever they wanted.
There was a time when us basket Vols would have killed to get to the sweet 16. Just another example of how Barnes has truly changed the culture around the basketball program.

SEC coaches give anonymous opinion of Tennessee basketball | RTI

The best thing that could happen to this team right now IMHO would be for our next 2-3 games be postponed or cancelled due to (our opponents') contact quarantine.

Some key players need time to heal, some need time to re-set mentally, some could use time to unlearn instincts that don't work at this level (like blind spin moves in the lane against a zone D!).

Reactions: 1985Vols
So are a good many of our fans. Teams have us scouted now. We will have a tough time beating most tournament worthy teams with Pons and Fulky playing as they are right now. I have zero confidence in our outside shooting and half court offense....if you can call what we do a half court offense.
Pons health and Fulkerson are the key both get healthy physically and Mentally with the way Freshman are playing yes we can make a great 🏃‍♂️. But that is right now million dollar question? In CHRIST Alone

Reactions: vol05
The expectations for this season were built on what we had coming back adding the talented freshmen. What we had coming back was a dominant Fulky during the second half of the season. He’s a shell of what he was due to injuries and who knows what else. With out Fulky last year, that team is a below .500 team and we’re seeing what this current team looks like without Fulky (essentially) right now. We’re a team that when we shoot well, can play with most teams in the country outside of Gonzaga and Baylor. But we aren’t a good shooting team. It’s random when we shoot well. And without Fulky, we have a pretty low floor. We can lose to anyone in the SEC. Thankfully our defense is good enough that we can grind out a win against the lower half of the SEC when we shoot poorly. This team is going to have to get red hot from the outside if we are going to make a post season run.

I like this team but the truth is this team beat Mizzou in the first game convincingly but since then has lost every game to other top teams in the SEC; Alabama, Florida, Mizzou & LSU. Every game they’ve won has been vs the bottom half of the SEC.

And Kansas, like Ky, is big name but is about the same as lower half of the league. Jmo.
You know there is a lot of talent on that team...Barnes had a load at Texas too...there might have been ego problems at Texas and I don’t know but just maybe that’s what Barnes is navigating over there now. I say this because at times I feel chemistry of the lineup looks a little iffy. Just my thoughts.

Yes this team can get hot but I think our ceiling is the Sweet 16 round. If Pons and Fulk get back healthy and play to their full ability and the two freshmen continue to get better we can get there, possibly beyond. Not having a true big man hurts but we can overcome that with good play at the other spots but where I see we struggle the most is with fast point guards like Pinson at Mizzou and Smart at LSU. Those guys drove to basket whenever they wanted.

Not having a point guard who can handle, pass, drive to the basket and shoot on occasion is our undoing. May make the 32.

Don't have a big man and injured fulky is soft as butter. Sucks. Look for these Vols to skate by a 12 seed in the NCAA only to get ousted in the round of 32 against a 7 or 11.

Vescovi is nothing more than a spot up shooter that gets hot every once in a awhile. To steamy! And a liability on defense those quicker point guards blow right past him. He he gets caught in the air or picking up his dribble. Wish Chandler would’ve reclassified. Barnes really should’ve addressed the paint recruiting this last year and it appears the same his happening for ‘21-‘22.
He’s been hurt almost all year. Apparently dealing with a hip injury.

Don't have a big man and injured fulky is soft as butter. Sucks. Look for these Vols to skate by a 12 seed in the NCAA only to get ousted in the round of 32 against a 7 or 11.
Learn how brackets work before you post drivel. If you’re playing a 12 seed in the round of 64, that means you’re a 5 seed. If you win that game, you’re playing either a 4 or a 13 seed, depending on who won. You can’t get matched up with a 7 or 11 seed in the round of 32 as a 5 seed.

No low post presence. Going to be tough to go very far in either tournament. Teams just pack it in and wait til we get cold from the perimeter. Fulkerson just isn't much of a offensive threat and gets pushed under the basket too much. This team needs to run run run. It's their only chance to go far.. Create offense and force fouls..
Add JJJ to Springer and Johnson. He needs to take it to the hole as well.

Reactions: Cartervol
Learn how brackets work before you post drivel. If you’re playing a 12 seed in the round of 64, that means you’re a 5 seed. If you win that game, you’re playing either a 4 or a 13 seed, depending on who won. You can’t get matched up with a 7 or 11 seed in the round of 32 as a 5 seed.

You hate that I was proven right about this team. It's okay.

VN Store

Back