Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
FrigidGoodnaturedAsianlion-size_restricted.gif

Edit - Better said this is the craziest ...

Last edited:
Nothing - i think he would know who he wanted and would have had talks and locked him.

But have DW control the process is making it more complex especially forcing position coaches on whoever they interview,
I think you’re absolutely right up until the last part about forcing position coaches. Gardner yes, but I think the others are open.

Reactions: SpringBokVol
In a prior Volquest youtube video, AP said Shannon was forced on Heupel at UCF by DW and it was an unhappy pairing. So, it isn't like DW hasn't done this before...
Yeah, because AP would know all the interworkings of hirings and firings at UCF AND he has never been wrong about anything.

I don't think anybody knows what is going on behind the curtain of secrecy. It seems kind of odd that these reported staff hires are being made with no DC in place and it is also funny how no real info is getting out through the old channels so to speak. Could it be the media types and insiders are starting rumors about DW to get him to make some type of statement ? Is the next big hire at UT going to be some type of a social statement no matter of qualifications? I would hope none of this is true but things have sure turned toward the ugly of days gone by pretty quick. We can all opine because it's fun and you get a insight of the thinking of the fan base but I don't think anyone will know for sure until DW and JH make it known who they have hired. I want to see pen put to paper first then I can complain.....or cheer depending on the time of day and my med load........now back to the corner and the Crayons.

A few days ago no one knew anything about the defensive staff and then, out of the blue, names are being mentioned as being hired by JH as position coaches on defense. Others have said the DC is a done deal and we just assumed the DC was approving the hires. If the DC has not been hired, it creates a potential fire storm if the other positions are already in place. Only at Tennessee----We're the poster child for the bumper sticker-----SH^T HAPPENS

Right, I wouldn't say he was "forced" to hire Shannon. But when your boss comes to you with a "recommendation," you have to take it, don't you?

That hire failed - Shannon was awful.
He forced Randy Shannon on him at UCF, and you see how that went.

This is my ULTIMATE fear of why White chose Heupel for our job - because he knows he can "push him around," for lack of a better term.

Could also be that all 4 of the candidates are potential hires. DW may have interviewed a few and JH just hadn't had a chance to chat with them (and/or vice versa). So the lack of urgency has everyone freaking out thinking everyone has turned us down, when that may not be the case.

I don't dislike any of the names though, just hope that JH/DW are in agreement when they pick their guy. Seems like all the DCs being vetted were likely alright with the Gardner hire, otherwise I don't think it would have been released. Another thing to keep in mind is that DW may be smokescreening so Conklin has the opportunity to tell his team what's going on before it leaks.

Woah!

Bottom line: DW is heavily involved in the hiring process to a point that can be viewed as hurtful to the process. The Randy Shannon hiring was his doing at UCF, and it failed.

We'll see how it goes from here on out: it's obvious something stinks behind the scenes or we would have already been able to hire someone.

For those still in on the Simpson debate - what is it exactly do you want from a QB for CJH's O than what is already in the QB room? There are two HS Elite 11's, one being the MVP his year (HB), both being unstoppable in HS from two of the top HS football states in America. Both were born to be QB's and leaders. That an embarrassment of riches already and both are still classified as freshmen.

Then, there are Maurer and Hooker. Both have started games in P5 football. Both have been underdeveloped. Maurer was pressed into duty before he was physically and mentally prepared for it, but had flashes of good play. Hooker got a lot of starts in at VaTech and had flashes of good play as well, especially with running the ball. Both of these guys got the shaft with development. Now, they will get Josh -Mr. QB - Heupel to develop them in an exciting spread offense that is balls to the wall lightning fast.

Getting Simpson would be fine, but he is going to have to sit for awhile. The narrative we need him to have a good recruiting class is false IMO. It's a new day and a new way with new coaches who do things differently and hopefully, much better. Hiring Garner signals that message immediately on D. Showing what the O can do this fall will demonstrate it to O recruits if they don't already know.
OJ did it

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back