Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everybody says that, but when RBs start fumbling and missing in pass protection everybody is upset. Mack with history should have a grasp on every position
Yeah the whole argument that a rb coach should only be a recruiter cause rb coaches don't do anything else is a weird narrative. Seems like nfl teams wouldn't waste money on it then. There's a lot of coaching that makes good RBs. Pass pro is the most obvious, but understanding the footwork, knowing how to press the hole, set up blocks, when to use quick short steps instead of long strides, when to use jump cuts and when a slide step would work better, where to anticipate the hole, etc etc etc. There's tons of examples of RBs who had all the talent in the world fizzle out because of lack of good coaching.

I shouldn’t sound like I don’t think it’s meaningless. It’s not and it does mean he can manage a football team and do it well. I just don’t think it means much at all toward what we need that position to do best and that’s recruit

It is hard to gauge someone's recruiting when they recruit to a 1400+ SAT school.

Jerry Mack is 40, and Monterrio Hardesty is 34, and Mack’s resume is far more impressive. Mack has 31 more victories as head coach and can claim conference titles.

Mack already had head coach victories at Hardesty’s age.
The only thing more impressive about hardesty is him being a former vol.... this guy seems to be a hustler.... he has done five internships with the nfl.

Whatever. 6 years difference. This place never fails- complaining about hiring the guy who has the much better resume.

Look I get it that the HC and OC on his resume is worth something but to claim
His resume is “better” due to that doesn’t hold water. I mean our last RB coach didn’t have either of those and surely we wouldn’t want this guy over him .

My 2 cents is this:

We just had the "Best staff in America". We received mucho praise across the board for the ace recruiters we were bringing in. We were bringing VFLs home. We were bringing in known names for position coaches.

And it got us jack diddly squat.

Poop.

Nada.

We seriously can not make any evaluation until we see how these guys work together AS A TEAM, because they will be as much of a team as the one playing on the field. The relationships they development, and the communications between them and the players are more important than any attributes our overweight, pimply backed asses on the internet can ascribe to them.

I want results on the field, and come September I'll start evaluating how they are doing.

Last edited:
My 2 cents is this:

We just had the "Best staff in America". We received mucho praise across the board for the ace recruiters we were bringing in. We were bringing VFLs home. We were bringing in known names for position coaches.

And it got us jack diddly squat.

Poop.

Nada.

We seriously can not make any evaluation until we see how these guys work together AS A TEAM, because they will be as much of a team as the one [playing on the field. The relationships they development, and the communications between them and the players are more important than any attributes our overweight, pimply backed asses on the internet can ascribe to them.

I want results on the field, and come September I'll start evaluating how they are doing.
👏👏👍

Reactions: SmokinBob
It'll be another week or so before we find someone at the Div ll level who would consider coming at DC.... no way we would consider Steele/Garner, that'd just be insane... Those guys don't know anything about big boy football, the SEC, recruiting in the south... wait, NM...

We are still one of the top 10-15 winningest programs with state of the art facilities, SEC, Power 5 Conference, all the financial support you could dream of, and no one wants to be an overpaid DC....

Jerry Mack is 40, and Monterrio Hardesty is 34, and Mack’s resume is far more impressive. Mack has 31 more victories as head coach and can claim conference titles.

Mack already had head coach victories at Hardesty’s age.
Coaching wise, I agree. But what do you think recruits see? What's more impressive to them? Those FCS conference titles or the fact Hardesty actually played in the NFL? You're not wrong when it comes to pure coaching, but as has been said, RB is the easiest position to coach, which is why you hire a good recruiter to that position. Mack may work out to be great. I hope he does. But he's not proven himself to be a recruiter.

Yeah the whole argument that a rb coach should only be a recruiter cause rb coaches don't do anything else is a weird narrative. Seems like nfl teams wouldn't waste money on it then. There's a lot of coaching that makes good RBs. Pass pro is the most obvious, but understanding the footwork, knowing how to press the hole, set up blocks, when to use quick short steps instead of long strides, when to use jump cuts and when a slide step would work better, where to anticipate the hole, etc etc etc. There's tons of examples of RBs who had all the talent in the world fizzle out because of lack of good coaching.

Agreed and I don't want to hurt people's feelings about a certain coach that is no longer employed but I was a huge fan of Gillespie when he was here. Rockstar imo and wish he was retained. I seriously don't have a problem with Mack. It seems CJH is really nailing home the "relationship" aspect of coaches with his hires. This program needs teachers badly...

And some are saying it's a great hire, but we don't know that either. And for some, the fact that we don't know is the real problem. Some of us feel we could have landed on someone more proven.
This is the truth. Nobody knows nothing when it gets down to it. I thought we could do better than Heupel but he is the coach and he will either succeed or he will be fired. Got to give him a chance. Tn could hire Saban and he may not win 6 games here.

Reactions: mikemist
I agree. Timing sucks for him.
I thing the Spring season is stupid in of itself. Throwing something together with players moving on to the draft or opting out and signed commits still in high school. They need to admit they guessed wrong and prepare for September.

Reactions: UTJoe
People not being blindly optimistic is being miserable? Blind optimism has failed me three times now when it comes to HCs at UT. I desperately want to be good again, but I'm not sure why you think I should be ecstatic over an underwhelming hire? I'll keep hoping I'm wrong, but I just feel like we're headed down the wrong path again. Are the only acceptable opinions the ones you agree with?
No. Just want to know what is your basis for calling this an underwhelming hire. I'm not blindly optimistic. Know the guy by reputation. High energy, positive, players coach.

Agreed and I don't want to hurt people's feelings about a certain coach that is no longer employed but I was a huge fan of Gillespie when he was here. Rockstar imo and wish he was retained. I seriously don't have a problem with Mack. It seems CJH is really nailing home the "relationship" aspect of coaches with his hires. This program needs teachers badly...
We complained about him and his recruiting incessantly. Best thing a coach can do for his Vol legacy is leave.

It'll be another week or so before we find someone at the Div ll level who would consider coming at DC.... no way we would consider Steele/Garner, that'd just be insane... Those guys don't know anything about big boy football, the SEC, recruiting in the south... wait, NM...

We are still one of the top 10-15 winningest programs with state of the art facilities, SEC, Power 5 Conference, all the financial support you could dream of, and no one wants to be an overpaid DC....
999F5782-DEE1-452A-ACFC-858DED685336.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back