Al Washington (Potential DC)

giphy.gif

Phillip Fulmer. He likely lied to Steele and Tee about what would be happening at UT after Pruitt was canned.

Steele probably thinks (and perhaps correctly) that we'll have to take him at DC, so he only helps himself recruiting now. If he "recruited over" by Washington or someone else for DC, who wouldn't be bitter? Again, he has history. He just got jilted at Auburn...... if he gets passed over again at UT, I'd be pissed.

Not buying that. He signed for position coach money knowing he was getting his 2.5 for 2 years. It would be stupid to do anything to hurt his future value. Being a good soldier for at least a year is in his best interest. He would love to laugh off the tin foil hat back stabbing stories and until proven otherwise is still a solid Vol.

Not buying that. He signed for position coach money knowing he was getting his 2.5 for 2 years. It would be stupid to do anything to hurt his future value. Being a good soldier for at least a year is in his best interest. He would love to laugh off the tin foil hat back stabbing stories and until proven otherwise is still a solid Vol.
He definitely got passed over at Auburn. Whether he knifed Malzahn or not is debatable, but there's no question he got shoved out after thinking he was the front-runner to replace Gus.

He had the interim HC seat at UT, granted for just a few days, but he was hired during a hiring freeze most likely to step in after Pruitt left. Why else? Phil got canned with Pruitt and Heupel was hired over Steele.

Again, were Washington or another DC recruited over him, Steele will have been been passed over for a third time. It would sting. Just the fact they're actively and publicly, even desperately, trying to recruit over him must sting.

Put yourself in his shoes. From a HIGHLY paid DC in the SEC to....... can't get the HC OR DC at his alma mater. Ouch.

Sometimes I miss the days when I had no idea who the assistant coaches or the incoming freshmen class were until I bought a program at my first game of the season.

I find more Americans are discovering that, in all areas of life. More is less -- 24/7 of anything is satiation, not gratification.

Instant gratification comes at the price of that sweet anticipation which makes the final realization so gratifying.

I'd gladly go back to the days when I might overhear at the barbershop in early August, some gentleman saying that "folks in Knoxville say they've got a new running back who might be something special."

I miss hearing myself say a hundred times, between the Orange-White game and the last week of August, "I can't wait for football to start again!"

Today, for the fans as well as the players, football never ends.

He's a SJW so there is no hire that will satisfy him.
He's a SJW so there is no hire that will satisfy him.
He is probably ignoring the fact that the last AA coordinator we had was Larry Scott and we went 4-8 that year. And we just offered to double Washington’s salary to take the position. But that probably does not fit his agenda.

Reactions: JVol76V2
I’m so confused, I thought they were just saying he turned us down?! Or was that just made up drama.

The only people making definitive claims are message board "insiders." No national media reporters have mentioned anything.

If TN has indeed made him an offer in the 1-1.5 million range and given him Assistant HC title, I would imagine that would be tough to turn down unless OSU bumps his pay and title considerably. OSU already has Co-DCs in Coombs and Mattisone. Having 3 Co-DCs seems too repetitive and would they really pay 3 guys over 1 million a piece to do the same job? My guy says no, but they certainly have the money to do it.

Reactions: TGFHeupel16
UPDATE: Al Washington to remain at Ohio State. In his place, Ryan Day will take over as the University of Tennessee's new defensive coordinator.

In a volnation.com exclusive, Day discussed his decision. "Well, I just told Al to step aside, didn't I? When they started talking truly huge money, I just had to start paying attention myself. And Al still works for me, so I was able to command him to move to the wings. So I'll be raking in that sweet cash instead. Plus, I mean, I've secretly been a Vols fan all my life. Haven't we all?"

Coach Day reassured volnation,.com reporters that he will be an excellent defensive coordinator despite having spent his entire coaching life on the offensive side of the ball. "How hard is it," he asked, "I mean, Muschamp could do it. I'm thinking anyone can."

Ryan Day and the rest of the Volunteers football coaching staff will be announced at halftime of tomorrow night's Tennessee - Georgia men's basketball game, when the Vols are expected to lead 83 - 27.

This is a dumb comparison from someone too lazy to look up the circumstances behind why Sunseri failed here.

In Wilcox time here Tennessee ran the 4-3 and had success. Dooley made a bad hire by bringing in Sunseri not because he was a bad coach but because he was switching from the 4-3 to a 3-4 in a make or break year without the players to do it.

So do some research before jumping to snap judgments just because Tennessee didn't hire brent venables or muschamp doesn't make it a bad hire.
Dooley failed Sal by far, but Sal should have adjusted his D to the strengths. The fact he immediately moved to a 3-4 without the weapons is a flaw on him also.

Dooley failed Sal by far, but Sal should have adjusted his D to the strengths. The fact he immediately moved to a 3-4 without the weapons is a flaw on him also.
I remember something very vivid from an interview Hyams did with Sal..he asked him since it was a short turnaround how much of his defense was he able to implement...he answered 100%...Hyams seemed a little surprised by that and you can see the result

I don't know about this one. Why throw all that money at someone with no experience as DC in this conference. Regardless of how well he can recruit.
He has experience. Got his ass handed to him if memory serves correctly. Well not as DC, but you get the idea...

The only people making definitive claims are message board "insiders." No national media reporters have mentioned anything.

If TN has indeed made him an offer in the 1-1.5 million range and given him Assistant HC title, I would imagine that would be tough to turn down unless OSU bumps his pay and title considerably. OSU already has Co-DCs in Coombs and Mattisone. Having 3 Co-DCs seems too repetitive and would they really pay 3 guys over 1 million a piece to do the same job? My guy says no, but they certainly have the money to do it.
Mattison retired.

Reactions: BigDave
Tighten up boys. Heupel may have gotten Al a raise but this is nothing to sweat over. Tony Elliott was not a major loss either if he is not ready for a big challenge and his heart is not in it. Plan B may be preferable anyway time will tell.

I find more Americans are discovering that, in all areas of life. More is less -- 24/7 of anything is satiation, not gratification.

Instant gratification comes at the price of that sweet anticipation which makes the final realization so gratifying.

I'd gladly go back to the days when I might overhear at the barbershop in early August, some gentleman saying that "folks in Knoxville say they've got a new running back who might be something special."

I miss hearing myself say a hundred times, between the Orange-White game and the last week of August, "I can't wait for football to start again!"

Today, for the fans as well as the players, football never ends.

LOL that's EXACTLY how I heard about Charlie Garner. Not at the barbershop but from hearing my dad talking to a couple of my uncles.

what are you basing that on? All that glitters isn’t gold.
You're right. I hope I'm wrong, but based on our track record of getting coaches raises and the state of our program currently....I wouldn't be at all surprised if he decided to stay and use us to get a raise at OSU.

Reactions: Border Vol

VN Store

Back