Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
They have real info. The only article that sounds like there was an offer made based on the language is Washington with Brice saying we're "zeroing in on" him. Feldman said we "had interest" in Brown from Louisville. Hubbs has mentioned several names, but every name he mentions doesn't mean they have an offer just that they were potentially contacted or vetted. Hubbs mentions names to generate conversation, but that doesn't mean every name is a real candidate.

The only real names that have come out are Brown, House, and Washington. But this board has hired and fired like 30 names and combinations of coaches.

In comparison to past searches, 3 real names is essentially no leaks.

Those sounds exactly like leaks to me.

Also you didn’t acknowledge the reports of who is actually already hired on offense. Those are leaks as well

Well, if we start hearing another name for DC today, then you know Washington played us for a promotion and raise.
You can only be played if you start a game. UT’s gone to him and he’s using his options. Wouldn’t want someone whose current boss doesn’t care if he’s retained. Felt the same about Gundy in the past.

Those sounds exactly like leaks to me.

Also you didn’t acknowledge the reports of who is actually already hired on offense. Those are leaks as well

This feels like arguing semantics, which is of course it is, that's your thing.

I was simply making a statement about all the entertaining nature of all the conjecture that this board has had because there hasn't been any official reports of a hire. Like people pairing up Kevin Steele and Washington despite there being no history, Garner coming with whoever they think might get hired, and the entire staff coming from the NFL because we were waiting til after the Super Bowl.

But yes, I suppose in the very literal sense, there have been a couple of leaks of names that are potentially involved. However much fewer than searches in the past. Also, you can't call them leaks on the offensive side when they're out here offering prospects scholarships. Not exactly a top secret there.

You don’t leave without a deal and if one is not struck shortly after the meeting, you move on and get the next best candidate. Giving a candidate multiple days to negotiate is dumb. You should know they are using you for leverage at that point. It’s obvious we are letting negotiations linger too long and getting burned. This is big league football and the waters we dive in are harder to get big fish, which is why his old approach may have worked at a UCF but not at UT and who we go for.
This might be a good way to buy a used lawnmower, but no one tries to close a multi-million job offer by threatening to “walk”. We’re perceived as an unstable situation. The last thing we want to lead with is a scene from Glengarry Glen Ross.

Leaks can come from the "potential" coach as well.

Regardless, DW has been getting worked all around

I don’t think it’s fair to say anyone is getting worked. I think it’s fair to say it appears JH is having trouble getting a yes but as far as DW goes it’s not his job to limit leaks during the communication of a head coach as they search for assistant coaches.
He’s got plenty more pressing needs than worrying about that.

In this day and age leaks aren’t going to stopped. It’s not realistic

It's not the same thing - we will be far less talented than those teams (other than Arkansas) for the next three or four years minimum.

Heupel has talked about using speed to bridge the talent gap, and his offense is one of the few left in the country that uses pure speed as a weapon. Most offenses now mix in tempo - we'll use tempo 100% of the time.

When it works, we'll score a lot of points. When it doesn't, the defense is screwed.

"Working" will be relative to where your roster stands against each team you play.

Kiffins offense "worked" (really well) against Bama last year, 48 points. And he still lost by 15 with a bad defense.

So the question would have to about the risk. The better teams (Bama, UF, UGA, ..) there isn't one. You re probably not gonna outscore them in the 20's or the 40's+.
If you shorten the game some, you ll lose 43-20. If you speed it up you may lose 56-35.

He needs to run what has made him successful. It may not be good enough, but I dont think it will matter for a few years anyway. Assuming he can build a roster that makes it better.

The FootballScoop report of him going to South Carolina made it sound like we reached out but he chose USC.
Where do you legitimately think our staff winds up? You seem to continue to push the narrative that looks the worst for us. Maybe it's you reading the tea leaves, maybe it's you preparing for the worst and hoping for the best or maybe you actually know some things. I am not trying to run you down. Just want a legit opinion on this hire and this staff.

Reactions: tnvols72
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back