Al Washington (Potential DC)

"Sources"....come on. Everything has been hush, hush so far. Still think they're spitballin'. Right now it's more likely that Washington is leaking his own name to get a raise. Guy has been in the NE for the overwhelming part of his coaching career. Don't see him heading south. He'll get a nice bump in salary while he waits for a DC spot up north. Personally, I'd be floored if Heupel went with a position coach as DC. He knows his success will depend to a very large degree on the DC hire. I think he gets a guy who has DC experience. Might be from a lower level like a G5 guy, but he'll have experience in that job.

This is not the commitment to D that we need with an offensive minded HC, but yeah y’all keep on with the “high energy!” nonsense. The guy is a position coach, so like half hype man half bag man for recruits

He knows defense or OSU wouldn’t be willing to pay up like that, also look at his history, whatever position he’s ever coached has done very well. The #1 recruiter part is obviously a major bonus.

Im actually starting to come around to this Because we’re clearly desperate. But recruiting to Ohio State isn’t impressive and this could really turn into a disaster seeing as he has zero DC experience. But let’s hope for the best.

So Sunseri has had numerous other DC jobs in the 3-4 since he’s a great coordinator and it was just a scheme problem?? Right?
Never said he was a great DC but the comparison is lazy because it's a totally different situation. It was a bad fit for the 1 year

Reactions: illvol
I texted several huge OSU fans I know and they would hate to see him leave. They are impressed by him.

It would be high risk/high reward with him not having any play calling experience. Well maybe not s lot of risk, because can this D get that much worst?

He knows defense or OSU wouldn’t be willing to pay up like that, also look at his history, whatever position he’s ever coached has done very well. The #1 recruiter part is obviously a major bonus.

I may be mistaken but didn't you mention in an earlier post that tOSU was considering giving him a $1M raise. tOSU hasn't indicated they are willing to pay him more to stay than they are currently paying their actual DC, Kerry Coombs.

this is smoke

Kerry Coombs is Ohio St DC. Mattison was Co-DC when he retired. I guess coach Day could have named Washington Co-DC and who's to say he won't at this point. I keep reading that Tennessee isn't the place for learning on the job. I certainly don't know what's going on but we don't know how many DC's they've talked to and been told, no thanks. So we might have to hire an Al Washington because no experienced DC wants to come here. I'll trust CJH to get the best man willing to take on the task and hopefully it will work out. GBO

Exactly. None of us know what is going on behind the scenes. I think CJH knows this is an important hire and it’s not our right to know who is being interviewed.

The media will continue to vomit names until the the new D coordinator is introduced @ a press conference.

As I stated in a prior thread, who knows if Steele and CJH gel or even get along.

Really like Washington the more I read on him. Just not sure about him as a play caller though. I would love to get him on staff not sure if I would want him to be calling plays especially given how thin we are right now

He can recruit his a$$ off so I'd be okay with given him a shot. It's a big risk payoff type of hire but so is Josh. At this point we have everything to gain and nothing to loose.

Reactions: SmokeyDaBear
I’m not sure there’s a team in the SEC that would trade coaching staffs with us.
I'll bet you if they were being honest, South Carolina fans would take Huepel in a second to Shane Beamer. I know no one would admit that out loud, but there is as much uncertainty about the Beamer hire as any other team out there.

Reactions: MR_VOL
I'll bet you if they were being honest, South Carolina fans would take Huepel in a second to Shane Beamer. I know no one would admit that out loud, but there is as much uncertainty about the Beamer hire as any other team out there.
Ok you might be right about that one.

Pretty stupid to assume he wouldn’t be in over his head like Sunseri.
Ok. Sure thing. I see you must have a crystal ball as well? It’s kinda humorous that you are not in the running...prolly not when Sunsari got the nod either....

The biggest factor here would be in recruiting. He is one of the top recruiters at one of the elite programs. This means he already has relationships built with a ton of 4 and 5* recruits.

VN Store

Back