Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Al Washington has an impressive recruiting list. Almost entirely midwest and northeast guys. Including names like Harold Landry from his time at BC.

Reactions: SweetasSoda
Downside - never called plays. Worrisome.

Upside - 2 of the 3 last posts on OSU board is about losing Washington and they sure don't want that. Talking about making him CO-DC just to keep him. Obviously very respected there. Very young, high energy, good recruiter.

A DC comes down to planning, orchestrating his defensive staff, and playcalling. He has quite a few positive attributes, but a 1st time playcaller will always worry me...but doesn't mean he may not end up being very good.
At this point I would rather go with that than someone with experience calling plays that the players are not going to like. Especially if he is good at the kind of defense CJH wants.

What are you talking about? Disassembling before Brady left? They were set to return 16 starters from 2019. Brady would have been number 17. That’s quite a bit of stability in today’s game. They had eight opt outs this past season, the most in the league. Four of those eight were starters. You don’t go sign Cam Newton if you’re rebuilding. You just start Brian Hoyer or Jarrett Stidham so you ensure that you only win 3 or 4 games.

The stability of returning players that are all older than dirt is a disassembling of sorts. It is punting so that you can try to rebuild in free agency once cap space isn't an issue. Essentially, It is just riding the donkey into its grave. The rebuilding can't technically begin until the donkey is covered up. But they were not going to be good this season no matter what. Brady, no Brady, covid, no covid, they weren't going to be any better than wildcard round exit type of team (similar to last year but older).

Reactions: ABINGDON VOL FAN
Never called the defensive plays. Yikes.

I think you need a guy that is proven and knows what to do.

Heupel needs a guy who can be left on his own.

Not sure about this one.
Yeah I'd feel better if he was coming in under a defensive HC with his own scheme/identity...but whoever our DC is will really need their own scheme and identity.

If you've never been at least a co-DC and aren't coming in under a defensive HC...that is a lot at once.

Washington is a stud coach but I’m hesitant with him never being a coordinator before.

Reminds of the sunseri mess.

Al Washington is 36 years old. Sal Sunseri was not, had only been a DC for a brief period at two small schools, and hasn’t been close since. While it’s not guaranteed to work, it’s not the same.

What are you talking about? Disassembling before Brady left? They were set to return 16 starters from 2019. Brady would have been number 17. That’s quite a bit of stability in today’s game. They had eight opt outs this past season, the most in the league. Four of those eight were starters. You don’t go sign Cam Newton if you’re rebuilding. You just start Brian Hoyer or Jarrett Stidham so you ensure that you only win 3 or 4 games.
Patriots were not
Good last year. Brady left because he knew the bottom was falling out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back