Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes. Yes. Yes. Hire coaches. Talent will come to UT. And low star talent will be developed.

We have hired recruiters for the past decade.

Tennessee does recruit itself to a point. Throw up 40 points a game and look like a fun place to play might help too.
We just finished the worst season ever. Had a complete baboon for a HC the last 3 years. Fired our entire recruiting staff. Fired our AD. Under NCAA investigation.

And we’re basically a top 15 recruiting team.

And people are still worried to death about getting good players in here. 😂😂😂

bama doesn’t recruit a different breed of person. They just develop the absolute hell out of them. Go look at the 247 profiles of guys like josh jacobs, irv smith, Mac Jones, quinnen Williams. What they do when they get the players is what separates them. It’s not the actual recruits that are the difference.

Why did House go from DC at a SEC school to Linebackers coach in the NFL. Position coaches in the NFL seems like a step down.

Look at the 2014 UT recruiting class. A LOT of instate talent.

Look at Butch's staff. You could argue that there were only 2 or 3 high level recruiters and the rest were developers of talent.

Let's give Heupel a chance, let's give this staff a chance. Hopefully, the instate talent will do the same. These coaches know they are in deeper waters now, let's see if they sink or swim.

I would love a milkshake with a good friend rn lol.

Seriously, out of curiosity, what are 3 of your top ten most attractive female celebrities?

You didn't ask me, but I'll answer anyway. Mind you this is in their prime since a top ten list wouldn't just look at current day.

Stacey Dash
Jaime Pressley
Jessica Biel

there is no skill in it. That’s my point. Not the way it’s perceived or awarded. Why the hell do you give someone a reward for being the best recruiter when none of their guys have even strapped on a helmet yet?? It would be like crowning someone GM of the year right after the draft or off season.

Being a great recruiter should consist of how the players you recruited produced for you and then look at what the players become. Not the combined total of the “star points” of your recruits.
That’s been my feeling all along.... we try to jump right out there recuiting like Bama or Georgia and that is just not realistic..... we need a few stars here and there..... the rest to be solid football players with very misses.... when we start winning, and looking like a fun place to play at.... higher rated guys will start lining jump.... that is how Clemson grew to be what they are today.

there is no skill in it. That’s my point. Not the way it’s perceived or awarded. Why the hell do you give someone a reward for being the best recruiter when none of their guys have even strapped on a helmet yet?? It would be like crowning someone GM of the year right after the draft or off season.

Being a great recruiter should consist of how the players you recruited produced for you and then look at what the players become. Not the combined total of the “star points” of your recruits.
Successfully signing players that other good schools are recruiting is a skill, regardless of how that player turns out in the end.

Talent evaluation, recruiting, and development all sum to the team that you put on the field, sure. But getting the players you want to sign with you is a skill.

You can say that skill doesn't matter, and that all that matters is the results on the field. I mean that's obviously true. It doesn't mean recruiting isn't a part of the equation, or that recruiting and talent evaluation are the same thing. They aren't. It just means you can cover up being a bad recruiter with other skills.

Reactions: Smokey19rt
Very few on here even considered House until today. So why be negative about it? It's clear he would be a home run.

He was a successful DC at UK with a half dozen NFL players. He was DC at FIU for a year and Pitt for two years. He has a SB ring now with the Chiefs and maybe another one Sunday. He worked under Spagnoula with the Rams for a few years.

Soooo .... why would he leave LB coach of SB team and be DC for UT with potential sanctions coming?
Money?

(don't misunderstand ... i'm not knocking the potential hire ... just curious)

EDIT: Thanks for the responses. Interesting info to consider.

Last edited:
Reactions: Smokey19rt
Honest question...... look at a guy like Matt house. Who never won recruiter of the year or is really even thought of as a recruiter.....

yet he’s been a part of recruitment/development for a lot of NFL players... josh Allen/Aaron donald highlighting names.

Why is he not considered an elite recruiter? Isn’t that what should matter?? Consistently Finding guys that are under the radar that are damn good college players and eventually NFL players.

Yet the only people that are passed as “ace” recruiters are guys like Neids or just some other random ass assistants from elite programs.

You can have good recruiters on staff that also develop talent. It doesn’t have to be an either/or type situation.

Yes talent development is top priority, as we’ve had hardly any of it over the past decade. Assuming you can develop properly & most of the kids pan out to their ranking, bringing in top 10 classes >>>>> bringing in top 25 classes & you know that.

& who knows..maybe his staff will be able to. It’s too early to tell since he doesn’t even have a full staff. But I don’t agree with the ‘recruiting is overrated’ point of view. It’s been proven to be quite the opposite.

We just finished the worst season ever. Had a complete baboon for a HC the last 3 years. Fired our entire recruiting staff. Fired our AD. Under NCAA investigation.

And we’re basically a top 15 recruiting team.

And people are still worried to death about getting good players in here. 😂😂😂

bama doesn’t recruit a different breed of person. They just develop the absolute hell out of them. Go look at the 247 profiles of guys like josh jacobs, irv smith, Mac Jones, quinnen Williams. What they do when they get the players is what separates them. It’s not the actual recruits that are the difference.

Antler spray.

There a few streets in the quarter that generally aren’t too packed with tourists, depending on the time of year. They’re looking to cancel all the Mardi Gras parades this year.
Wow, I didn't think those crazies would let a little Covid slow them down. I thought they would just put a VooDoo spell on it :):):). What are they gonna so with all those beads :eek::eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back