Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
This. Talent development is crucial but recruiting is just as big. It’s been proven time & time again that stars actually matter.

I’m along for the ride with whoever he hires. My expectations for this program have fallen so much over the years, I’d be thrilled with 8-4 consistently.
I completely agree. I think we are at a point to where nothing is going to recruit great at Tennessee again, but a good product showing up on the football field. If the coaches can manage that, Tennessee will recruit itself.

If you build it, they will come.

giphy.gif

I agree with you to an extent - but in the absence of knowing these guys are ELITE coaches and developers, I would like to hire some known quantities on the recruiting trail. You can only control what you can control - and that's you're hiring strategy.

I don't know - you're much more bought into Heupel and this offense than I am. Which isn't surprising, I didn't want Leach either and you are the captain of the fan club.

Honest question...... look at a guy like Matt house. Who never won recruiter of the year or is really even thought of as a recruiter.....

yet he’s been a part of recruitment/development for a lot of NFL players... josh Allen/Aaron donald highlighting names.

Why is he not considered an elite recruiter? Isn’t that what should matter?? Consistently Finding guys that are under the radar that are damn good college players and eventually NFL players.

Yet the only people that are passed as “ace” recruiters are guys like Neids or just some other random ass assistants from elite programs.

Honest question...... look at a guy like Matt house. Who never won recruiter of the year or is really even thought of as a recruiter.....

yet he’s been a part of recruitment/development for a lot of NFL players... josh Allen/Aaron donald highlighting names.

Why is he not considered an elite recruiter? Isn’t that what should matter?? Consistently Finding guys that are under the radar that are damn good college players and eventually NFL players.

Yet the only people that are passed as “ace” recruiters are guys like Neids or just some other random ass assistants from elite programs.

It doesn't matter what we get. For some people it is always wrong. By design. They like chaos.

People aren’t bitching about House they are bitching about recruiting. Some of us haven’t realized top 10 classes don’t equal wins, it’s about DEVELOPING.

lol. It's like some think they are mutually exclusive. You always want coaches first as Hank said. Coaches in name only that just recruit are pretty much useless as we have seen for the past decade. Not all of the elite talent goes for the biggest McDonalds bag every time.

Because it is a completely different skill. The same way that product design and salesmanship are two completely different skills, even if they get measured the same in the end.

You have to have both. No two ways around that.

Reactions: kennedy262

Well, I would say that finding those diamond in the rough prospects is great, but one or two a year don't usually equate to a winning college football program - especially in the SEC.

But again, I'm coming at this from the perspective of Tennessee as an SEC power - and I have to adjust my thinking. It's just hard to do.

This feels to me like a staff that Missouri or Kentucky would be really happy to have - and maybe we (I) should be too.

We don’t. We just finished the worst season ever and almost had our program nuked by a Gump and we’re still basically top 15.

Hiring recruiters gets you beat every time.
Yes. Yes. Yes. Hire coaches. Talent will come to UT. And low star talent will be developed.

We have hired recruiters for the past decade.

Tennessee does recruit itself to a point. Throw up 40 points a game and look like a fun place to play might help too.

Because it is a completely different skill. The same way that product design and sales are two completely different skills, even if they get measured the same in the end.

You have to have both. No two ways around that.

there is no skill in it. That’s my point. Not the way it’s perceived or awarded. Why the hell do you give someone a reward for being the best recruiter when none of their guys have even strapped on a helmet yet?? It would be like crowning someone GM of the year right after the draft or off season.

Being a great recruiter should consist of how the players you recruited produced for you and then look at what the players become. Not the combined total of the “star points” of your recruits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back