Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
My daughter just went through recruiting at a lower level basketball school and she wouldn’t go that long without talking to the staff and would have talked to the coach within a day if a new staff took over...... it’s ridiculous to think he was still signing here if he hadn’t spoke to anyone in that long.

To you or I, yes, it's ridiculous. But I have no idea how this kid thinks, which ties into his maturity level, IMO, so I think it completely possible he believed the reverse. That since he hadn't been contacted, that meant he still had a spot. It's very possible he was under the impression that if he didn't have a spot, they would contact him. Which they eventually did, just with horrible timing, IMO.

fyDO.gif

To you or I, yes, it's ridiculous. But I have no idea how this kid thinks, which ties into his maturity level, IMO, so I think it completely possible he believed the reverse. That since he hadn't been contacted, that meant he still had a spot. It's very possible he was under the impression that if he didn't have a spot, they would contact him. Which they eventually did, just with horrible timing, IMO.

Horrible timing yes, but end of the day that’s Pruitt’s fault more than anyone else’s. He’s been the coach for those 2 years Roc was committed, not Heupel. And he prevented him from signing on ESD, not Heupel.

Josh Heupel has been in Knoxville 6 days, had to move his whole life here while also having to say goodbye to their previous home.

Actually, I'm putting aside emotions on this one. And I'm not pissed we hired JH. I'm disappointed, because I hoped for a more proven coach. I'm willing to see what JH can do. But I'm not going to believe he's perfect and Infallible just because he's UT's coach. We did that with every previous coach until we didn't, and how did that work out? I'm taking off the orange-colored glasses to see reality more clearly. This isn't the end of the world, but it was an easily avoidable mistake. I really hope JH succeeds here. I want him to succeed here. But what do we serve if we don't acknowledge when he makes a mistake? He could have handled this situation better. I really hope he learns from this, because we need him to.

We’re progressing through the stages of a new hire. I believe some have moved into stage 3 clingers already.

Stage 1 - I DO NOT LIKE THIS HIRE
Stage 2 - Well, you know, this might work out if...
Stage 3 - Corch is playing chess not checkers!

Nobody is going to remember this tomorrow, much less in the next class. Congrats on spending the afternoon posting about it though.

Horrible timing yes, but end of the day that’s Pruitt’s fault more than anyone else’s. He’s been the coach for those 2 years Roc was committed, not Heupel. And he prevented him from signing on ESD, not Heupel.

Josh Heupel has been in Knoxville 6 days, had to move his whole life here while also having to say goodbye to their previous home.
If the cut had been made last week, even late last week, I think it changes the story significantly. The fact it happened the day before NSD, the 11th hour, is what creates the negativity. I don't disagree that JH has a lot on his plate. But JH is also an adult. Roc Taylor is just on the cusp of becoming an adult. Neither one is a villain in this story, but the brunt of responsibility falls on the adult.

I'm gonna go find some supper.

Reactions: screenthis
If the cut had been made last week, even late last week, I think it changes the story significantly. The fact it happened the day before NSD, the 11th hour, is what creates the negativity. I don't disagree that JH has a lot on his plate. But JH is also an adult. Roc Taylor is just on the cusp of becoming an adult. Neither one is a villain in this story, but the brunt of responsibility falls on the adult.

I'm gonna go find some supper.
You gonna respond to Ron about the Callahan post or nah?

Reactions: nesbuddha66
More on the Roc Taylor thing: If I'm not mistaking, we've only signed two four star players out of Alabama in the last ten years (per 247 composite rankings): Will Ignot and Gavin Bryant. Neither panned out here. So does it really matter if one high school coach and one handler in that state shut us out?

Answer me this, if the offer had been pulled a week ago, do you think we would have the same reaction as it getting pulled the day before NSD?
My question is did UT new staff even have conversations with Roc to let him know that he still had an offer? Did this staff lead him to believe he did? If I was offered a new job then the one that offer it was fired, I would assume my offer was not good until the new boss re-offered. Timing is not good for either however Heupel did not create this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back