Hypothetically, would you take Freeze over Heupel...

Sub Par SUPERSTAR

All around decent fella.
Even if you were forced to incur the most severe of NCAA penalties (short of the death penalty) as part of the deal?
Heupel comes with zero penalties in this scenario.

Reactions: Vols71
They are similar in a lot of ways strong offensively. Freeze has done more over his career but probably had a bit more talent to work with at Ole Miss. His Liberty team was quite talented for that league. I probably want to avoid as many NCAA penalties as possible. We have Heupel so let's give him a chance. I would certainly be happy if we had Freeze as well.

Even with a guarantee of no NCAA penalties at all, I wouldn't take Freeze.

The man's moral weakness is a problem, for me, for far bigger reasons than just penalties from a third party. The head coach is a model for the lads who study at and play for our university. To a lesser extent, he's a role model for the entire campus. I don't want the University of Tennessee painted with that brush.

I'm all for giving folks second chances, but not with our youth. Let Freeze go try his hand with the pros.

I do not see enough upside to taking Freeze that would warrant the extra scrutiny we would get from the NCAA. I would not accept the extra penalties just to get a "name" coach.

Reactions: DeusExMachina
I think he is a great coach. But hard for us to throw ourselves at the mercy of the NCAA on infractions. And then bring in a coach who left ole miss the way he did just a few years ago. Would be a slap in the face to them.

Reactions: DeusExMachina
Even with a guarantee of no NCAA penalties at all, I wouldn't take Freeze.

The man's moral weakness is a problem, for me, for far bigger reasons than just penalties from a third party. The head coach is a model for the lads who study at and play for our university. To a lesser extent, he's a role model for the entire campus. I don't want the University of Tennessee painted with that brush.

I'm all for giving folks second chances, but not with our youth. Let Freeze go try his hand with the pros.

You act like he murdered someone. His "moral weakness" is extremely minimal. We should have gone after Freeze and never looked back.

Even if you were forced to incur the most severe of NCAA penalties (short of the death penalty) as part of the deal?
Good question. From just the offense perspective.. Here are their stats when both coached in the SEC in the same year..

31.4 pts/game 500.5 yds/game

31.2 pts/game 440.8 yds/game

no i want a coach who can actually have a winning record in the SEC and doesnt have to cheat nor be a Bill Clinton or Jerod from Subway in his offtime

Reactions: Enki_Amenra
You act like he murdered someone. His "moral weakness" is extremely minimal. We should have gone after Freeze and never looked back.
Some would call cheating on one's wife and hooking up with prostitutes, "extremely minimal." My wife wouldn't. If you're married, I bet your wife wouldn't.

I wouldn't, either.

Tell you a little bit about prostitutes in the 21st century. Some of them are in the profession by choice. A lot aren't. Some think so little of themselves that they don't believe they can make it in the world any other way. They'd get out if they could. Others were outright kidnapped and have been sex slaves ever since. Folks who hire prostitutes to have sex with them don't know which is true in any given case. And because they don't know, and don't ask, it is apparent they don't care. They don't see the prostitute as a person at all. But that young woman's father and mother do, wherever in the world they are. It's worth thinking about.

Weakness of character that presents itself in one aspect of life can be a warning sign of weakness in other aspects of life.

Don't want a weak person coaching our lads, or serving as a role model for our university, or being the highest-paid employee of our state. Hard pass.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back