Marta Suarez and Jaiden McCoy

Too much pressure on Kellie by crazy fans. How about Texas hiring a coach with all their money in the bank and he's not doing well lol

Reactions: JohnnyPayne
If Marta is going to be out a while we need to move Horston to the two and let her operate in the half court with shots in the paint and open drives to the basket. We have seen that Salary and Walker can handle the point quite well and splitting time between them there seems to be our best option at that position. This would free up Horston, Davis, and Burrell with Key as scorers in the half court offense. I think this is a lineup that is very hard to guard and would like to see a lot of it.

Problem is I think she wants to be the PG. I’m not sure she’ll ever settle for playing where she’s better suited.
Do we know this? I have asked this question many times and no one seems to know. We could infer she does since her square PG peg keeps trying so hard to be forced into the round PG hole. But it seems to me more likely JH is only playing out of position at PG bc of the team need; KJH has actually said she's just kind of making do with what she has at the position. So I'm not sure its a matter of what JH will "settle" for. She doesn't seem like that kind of kid.

I ask (repeatedly) bc I can't understand WHY in the world such a talented player would insist on playing so woefully out of position in a role that brutally exposes her weaknesses. As opposed to scoring and rebounding her arse off at 2 guard minus primary ball handling responsibilities

Re the "weight" discussion, how about if it gets changed to an "in game shape" discussion? We've been having that discussion about KK for years and it hasn't seemed to upset other posters. I've been told by someone who's worked in LV strength and conditioning that it takes the better part of 2 yrs to get a player in tippy top game shape. Marta will get there, and it will really help her game..

I wonder if Marta's injury could be a stress fracture. Foot stress fractures are pretty common, espec among new players. Sure hope not, they take forever to get over.

Last edited:
Disagree that judging game shape for players is out of bounds for a fan forum which exists to discuss, team, players, and performance. Of course its only our unsolicited, mostly uninformed opinion. Of course we don't know better than real staff. Nature of fan forums. That stipulated, game shape discussions don't seem that much different from judging shooting form, ball handling, etc. which we're equally unqualified to do.

Of course we should avoid ugliness toward personal appearance, which I could care less about. But game stamina and fitness is a whole different aspect IMO.

Last edited:
If Marta is going to be out a while we need to move Horston to the two and let her operate in the half court with shots in the paint and open drives to the basket. We have seen that Salary and Walker can handle the point quite well and splitting time between them there seems to be our best option at that position. This would free up Horston, Davis, and Burrell with Key as scorers in the half court offense. I think this is a lineup that is very hard to guard and would like to see a lot of it.
rae is better horston at 2 guard

Of course we should avoid ugliness toward personal appearance, which I could care less about. But game stamina and fitness is a whole different aspect IMO.

Even so, Marta does not appear to get gassed more quickly than any of our other starters. Except for Davis, but that's because Davis is a freak of nature. She never appears exhausted until the game is over. Her ability to play practically the entire game at 100% is amazing.

Back to Marta, I have not witnessed a lack of stamina. This injury shouldn't be anything too serious as she did try to give it a go. I hope she's back to 100% soon.

Back to Marta, I have not witnessed a lack of stamina. This injury shouldn't be anything too serious as she did try to give it a go. I hope she's back to 100% soon.
With Marta it may be more a quickness, movement, musculature thing more than actual stamina. The right efficency of motion can improve stamina though.

.I'm sure the program has individualized fitness goals for all players and they take time to develop.

With Marta it may be more a quickness, movement, musculature thing more than actual stamina. The right efficency of motion can improve stamina though.

.I'm sure the program has individualized fitness goals for all players and they take time to develop.

agree

Marta didn't pant and gasp...she had endurance, but her fast twitch movements were not fast

I disagree. Salary is getting better. She and Walker should get more minutes and we know they like KK and TK together some for some reason. Between those, they are fine.

I hear you. Like most of us, I don't like the KK/TK combo. Walker has been really cold shooting. I would give Salary some of her minutes and see how she does.

I could see Harper giving KK more minutes in Marta's absence, but I would respectfully disagree with that strategy.

Reactions: lfvol
I disagree. Salary is getting better. She and Walker should get more minutes and we know they like KK and TK together some for some reason. Between those, they are fine.

I don’t think they necessarily like the combo of TK and KK out there together. Much of the time we simply don’t have another option. Had Keyen remained healthy I don’t think we would have seen KK at the 4 at all. She and Tamari would have split time at the 5.

Now with Marta out we really have no choice but to play Kasi at the 4. Looking at the recruits coming in Kellie will not have this problem in the future. More much agility across the board for the incoming players.

I don’t think they necessarily like the combo of TK and KK out there together. Much of the time we simply don’t have another option. Had Keyen remained healthy I don’t think we would have seen KK at the 4 at all. She and Tamari would have split time at the 5.

Now with Marta out we really have no choice but to play Kasi at the 4. Looking at the recruits coming in Kellie will not have this problem in the future. More much agility across the board for the incoming players.

Like 376 said, Salary is the one I’d give the most extra minutes at this point so going a little smaller and quicker. She has the most upside.

Who the hell are you to say someone hat you've only seen on TV is "woefully out of shape?" And who are you to judge the size that she was recruited to play at and the size they want her to play with?

Ignorance, plain and simple.

Sure.

If KK and TK can continue to learn the hi-lo game,,,it will open up our lanes

I will assume that is true and say it is shocking.

In truth, saying you don't want a player to lose weight does not mean they do not want to see a longer term transformation as the player builds muscle mass and lowers body fat.

But that is a longer term project of training and conditioning. During a season, you don't want a player dropping pounds because that is a recipe for weakness, declining performance, and injury. So, the idea that Marta could drop ten pounds during this season and improve her game is freakin' clueless

Marta is never going to be as quick as Rennia Davis. She is not that kind of player but she has a great skill set and I promise, if she stays with the program for four years, she will look different as a senior than she does as a freshman.

Her game is going to be playing physical. She presents an interesting mix of skill and physicality which I predict will make her a force. But it will take a little time for all those components to come together.

In the meantime, how about we chill a bit on the weight talk?

VN Store

Back