7-5...

We’ll move the ball. I’m just concerned that it’s going to be very ugly defensively. We just don’t have much in the front 7.

Reactions: GoVolunteers
Can we all agree if CJH can pull off 7-5 next year he is initially a successful hire? Looking at the schedule and if he can get a DC to match his apparent offensive genius then I don't think 7-5 is impossible..
Yep

Can we all agree if CJH can pull off 7-5 next year he is initially a successful hire? Looking at the schedule and if he can get a DC to match his apparent offensive genius then I don't think 7-5 is impossible..
You've already got people on here saying 8-4 is minimum acceptable record. Whatever line needs to be set to justify a campaign against him will be set. If the goalposts need to be moved, they will be.

Honestly, it's possible if the offense picks up the concepts and they form a cohesive unit in the off-season.

If you think about it last year's team was basically the same as the 8-5 team a couple of years ago. And this team is not too different but we are getting rid of the Achilles heel which was JG. Most of the players in the portal beside HT, EG, and Crouch (who was a weakness) were rotational players.

Hopefully, Heupel can get in there and work on driving in his offensive concepts while putting extra attention on the QBs. That and hiring a solid DC could spell a semi successful season but it's not guaranteed

Yes and at least be competitive with the big 3 nemesis teams on our schedule. By competitive in my view is at least have the game go to the 4th qtr before we lose and not lose by 40.

Reactions: jerrync
You've already got people on here saying 8-4 is minimum acceptable record. Whatever line needs to be set to justify a campaign against him will be set. If the goalposts need to be moved, they will be.
That's true.
My spectrum is 7-5 to 10-2.

Not beating UGA or BAMA for a while.

Mullen isn't building trust and stability at UF. If we can match his offense, I like our chances. Whos his QB next season? Defense is full of dummies. Mullen can still coach his tail off.

Talent was not our problem last year. Just bad understanding of football from top to bottom. Need Peter Baeilish Fulmer to stay far away from the program.

I'm in that one year grace period mode. But what I'm hoping for is the type of season where the team's competitive performance improves and we head into year two in a far better place than we were at in December 2020.

I'd be overjoyed with Heupel and his staff if they find a way to improve on the conference record this year.

I wouldn't call 7-5 in one year a successful hire. Any coach that is a good coach should go 7-5 with our team and schedule next year. Pruitt should have went 6-4 if he knew what he was doing. I would call it successful if he does that next year and improves our players and improves the record in years 2 and 3 and that will depend on how hard we get hit with scholarship reductions.

• Sept. 4: Bowling Green - W
  • Sept. 11: Pittsburgh - W
  • Sept. 18: Tennessee Tech -W
  • Sept. 25: at Florida - L
  • Oct. 2: at Missouri - L
  • Oct. 9: South Carolina - W
  • Oct. 16: Ole Miss - L
  • Oct. 23: at Alabama - L
  • Oct. 30: Bye
  • Nov. 6: at Kentucky -W
  • Nov. 13: Georgia - L
  • Nov. 20: South Alabama - W
  • Nov. 27: Vanderbilt -W

I think the above is doable if he can secure a DC capable of complimenting his offensive output that he has historically. I will even say The Missouri and Ole Miss games could be games that we steal for a stunning finish of 8-4. No real VFL could possibly be disappointed in a 8-4 season if that magic was to occur. I am not saying either scenario is likely but I am saying these are the goals I as a batter VFL would love to see met.

• Sept. 11: Pittsburgh - L
  • Nov. 6: at Kentucky -L

5-7 at best.

5-7 at best.
This is what 4 mil a year looks like

Reactions: TC 83
We’ll move the ball. I’m just concerned that it’s going to be very ugly defensively. We just don’t have much in the front 7.
We had a defensive head coach and it was still pretty bad last season. This is my concern as well, I’m afraid the defense may get even worse

• Sept. 11: Pittsburgh - W
  • Nov. 6: at Kentucky -W

I think the above is doable if he can secure a DC capable of complimenting his offensive output that he has historically. I will even say The Missouri and Ole Miss games could be games that we steal for a stunning finish of 8-4. No real VFL could possibly be disappointed in a 8-4 season if that magic was to occur. I am not saying either scenario is likely but I am saying these are the goals I as a batter VFL would love to see met.
I don’t believe the USCjr and Kentucky games can be considered wins. I think .500 is the ceiling next year. At this time we are severely handicapped by the transfers in/out not netting against the 25 cap. We have a depleted roster unless the NCAA enacts
a rule change.

Expecting 7-5 is delusional. 8-4 should get you admitted to the looney bin. Im thinking somewhere around 3-9 to 5-7. And that has nothing to do with who our new coach is. That’s just where this program is and all the loses we are taking on the roster. Maybe he can salvage a game by getting some big time transfer portal guys to come here but I don’t know how much good that will do.

I feel comfortable in saying that we should win 5 against Bowling Green, TN TECH, SCAR, S Alabama, and Vandy. PITT & KY are toss up games and our best chances to reach 7 wins, but I don’t think we beat them both. 6-6 is a more realistic outcome IMO. Ole Miss and Missouri probably beat us. I don’t see UT being competitive at all against UGA, UF, or bama.

we still have better roster than 9 of the teams on the schedule next year. I think 8-4 is very doable. 9-3 with a break.

7-5 would be a miracle, TBH. 6-6 would be a welcome surprise. I'm expecting 5-7 or 4-8. And that's not a slight against Heupel. Even Saban only managed 7-5 his 1st year taking over Bama, and we're in worse position now than they were in 2007. This program just lost a bunch of talent to the transfer portal and what's left will be learning a brand new offensive/defensive scheme. There are bound to some speed bumps and learning curves along the way.

The good news is that the OOC schedule is fairly easy this year and the SEC east is about as down as his has ever been at the moment. SC and Vandy have new coaches too. FL loses an AA QB and most of their offensive stars, while their defense was atrocious. UGA will be good, but they didn't look as imposing as they were 2-3 years ago. Mizzu got better throughout the year, but they are still Mizzu, so decent but beatable. Kentucky is Kentucky. Only Bama and UGA are clear losses at this point. I'm not gonna say we should beat everyone else, but everyone else on the schedule has enough flaws that we could win.

Last edited:

5-7 at best.

At best? This might be your prediction, but it isn't the ceiling. I agree that the range is 4-8 to 9-3. Probably 6-6 or 7-5 (which is in the middle).

Reactions: HuntlandVolinColo
we should be very good at QB next year. WR, TE, and RB positions should also be much better. the oline is a question and the defense should be mediocre, but thats the biggest question.

VN Store

Back