Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can't on the one hand saying that

1. He's your first choice
2. You didn't want to hire him at first

These contradict each other. He's really not good at this
If you simply walked into the search process with a list of names you liked, then did the vetting process, then made a decision after conversations with other coaches, then yes, he could still be the first choice while you didn't initially want to hire him.

I'm not trying to be negative but another thought crossed my mind. Literally every other coach when hired there was immediate info from the former fanbase.

Butch was a cliche, only managed to maintain what he inherited.

Pruitt is very difficult to get asking with etc.

Already hearing UCF fan base was tiring of him, he was struggling to maintain what he inherited etc

I'm going to give him a chance but aside from the cliche the feedback is very similar to Butch. I sincerely hope Huepel is up for this job.

The difference is that Heupal inherited a program that could ONLY go down. Then he lost just one game his first year. I know people don't want to hear it, but Covid is just a fact. UCF had 10 opt outs this year- 2 were starters and I believe 5 were reserve linemen on both sides.

I'm not trying to be negative but another thought crossed my mind. Literally every other coach when hired there was immediate info from the former fanbase.

Butch was a cliche, only managed to maintain what he inherited.

Pruitt is very difficult to get asking with etc.

Already hearing UCF fan base was tiring of him, he was struggling to maintain what he inherited etc

I'm going to give him a chance but aside from the cliche the feedback is very similar to Butch. I sincerely hope Huepel is up for this job.
At least we got great feedback about the AD. UCF people loved him and were crushed to lose him. This contrasts with someone like Currie, who Kansas St people weren't broken up to lose. That gives me hope in White's ability to find a good coach, but my expectations are still really tempered.

Reactions: VolGee4
not gonna go overboard either way. liked what i heard, very standard stuff for the most part....probably best way to describe that is that there's zero chance he lost anyone today, and he probably picked up a few nay sayers along the way.

seems genuine, not a dummy, and understands what the deal is....

it'll be about what comes down the line that matters. i'm very, cautiously, optimistic about what this offense can look like with some of the players we have on the roster right now....really hope we get to have as close to a regular off season as possible. i think it's the most important thing for this program's immediate future......i now the staff is the more immediate thing, but i don't think i'm gonna get caught up in dissecting all the ins/outs of that. i'm sure not everyone will be retained, and there'll be an influx of guys from UCF....

it's a new day. welcome to the family. GBO.

Let's look at resume after he was fired. Personal "ball washer" for Nick Saban. Man didn't have a shred of character to actually look for another job while we were paying him. That's not a man with ambition or vision. That's a guy that coasts.
The whole thread was started by a tweet that said Heupel had the best resume before hiring than all other coaches since Majors. I don't like Jones, but that's not what the conversation is about

You can't on the one hand saying that

1. He's your first choice
2. You didn't want to hire him at first

These contradict each other. He's really not good at this

It absolutely does. Just like a regular hiring process. You vet and review backgrounds of multiple people. Then you make offers.

Reactions: SmokinBob
The difference is that Heupal inherited a program that could ONLY go down. Then he lost just one game his first year. I know people don't want to hear it, but Covid is just a fact. UCF had 10 opt outs this year- 2 were starters and I believe 5 were reserve linemen on both sides.
You're right they could only go down, but the concern there is the trajectory. They have consistently regressed since the 13-0 year. It'd be nice if the program had throttled back a bit from 13-0, but had remained there. They've consistently slipped.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back