Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still don't like it boys. We are going to be on par with Kentucky in recruiting
Cat, we are what we are. We are fighting Mizzou, Kentucky and South Carolina for 3rd in east at the moment. We made that type of hire, and I think we made a hire that can beat those three teams. We have to start there.

Maybe just maybe
Welp...a lot of y’all chastised me for this...looks like I was right and y’all were wrong. We hired the AD to get the coach !!!

It much easier to hire a top level AD than to hire a top level coach. When you have so many coaches already making over 4 mil year backing up the brinks truck doesn’t mean ****.

Jones had an established record of building programs up to this point. Heupel does not and has a bottom 5 defense to go with that top 5 offense.
I don't care if I win 5-3, that's better than losing 67-70.
Jones followed the path of an established, high level coach in Brian Kelly. He rode the coattails to the UT job. The problem with Butch was he thought he was bigger than the program. His success happened because he found lightening in a bottle with Dobbs. Dobbs in a decent offense should have been a Heisman front runner. Those 9-4 teams should have been national title contenders but Butch was the coach.

I woke up to a notification of us hiring him and my heart sunk... gonna have to find a way to be positive. Hopefully the press conference will help with that

Extremely underwhelming hire... no other way to put it

Reactions: sona
I woke up to a notification of us hiring him and my heart sunk... gonna have to find a way to be positive. Hopefully the press conference will help with that

Presser probably won't help. Looking at his stats might, though. He's as bright of an offensive mind as there is in the game right now. And he's proven it can translate as a head coach, unlike Pruitt with defense.

Took from a volquester who posted this article from the Orlando Sentinel. I don't think we realize how good this offense is about to be. I know it's long, but read it guys. It's worth it.

“He does not have a playbook, maybe a pamphlet or just a page is what I can glean from what I am seeing,” wrote one fan.

“Truly feels like we have just eight plays,” wrote another fan.
“The coach needs to go,” wrote another.

And this, ladies and gentlemen, is why I never, ever listen to fans, which is short for fanatics, which is a synonym for wackos.

UCF 51, Tulane 34.
The Knights compiled 689 yards of total offense on Saturday, quarterback Dillon Gabriel threw for 422 yards and five touchdowns, running back Greg McCrae ran 25 times for 162 yards and wide receiver Marlon Williams caught nine passes for 174 yards and three touchdowns.

Hey, disgruntled fans, ask Tulane’s defense about Josh Heupel’s playbook.

Ask any opposing defensive coordinator in college football about Josh Heupel’s playbook.

Yes, UCF’s season thus far has been a major disappointment because of a young, porous defense but at least Knights fans can turn on the TV every Saturday and be entertained by one of the most astute offensive minds in the game, one of the best quarterbacks in the country and inarguably the most explosive, entertaining offense in the nation.
Maybe even in history.
If you’re scoring at home, Gabriel leads the nation in passing, Williams leads the nation in receiving and UCF’s offense is now averaging a national-best 646.8 yards per game. If the Knights keep up this pace, they will shatter the all-time record for total offense in a season set by the 1989 Houston Cougars, who averaged 624.9 yards per game.

In three years at UCF, Heupel has a 26-6 record at UCF and his offense has been ranked No. 5, No. 2 and now No. 1 in the country. And before he took the UCF job, Heupel was the offensive coordinator at Missouri under former head coach Barry Odom.
When Heupel arrived at Mizzou in 2016, he took over an offense ranked 124th in the country the previous season. In the first year of Heupel’s fast-break, no-huddle offense, the Tigers were ranked 13th in the nation and improved to eighth the following year in the big, bad SEC. When Heupel left, the Missouri offense went back to its formerly pathetic self.
Anybody who questions Heupel’s offensive imagination and acumen is just plain idiotic. The man is an offensive genius. Or as the great Steve Spurrier once playfully reprimanded a sports writer back in his heyday, “Don’t call me a genius; call me a mastermind.”
The Knights came into Saturday not only leading the nation in total offense, but no other team in college football was within 40 yards of their average. For comparison’s sake, Alabama has the most explosive offenses of the Nick Saban era, and UCF is averaging about 80 yards per game more than the Crimson Tide.

“We’ve got a lot of great players and that makes it a whole lot easier to call offensive plays,” Heupel said. “This offensive skill group is athletic and understands what they’re doing. We’ve got great trust in every single one of them. We’ve also got five guys up front [on the offensive line] who fight and compete. … And being in Year 2, you’ve seen the growth that Dillon has had as a quarterback.”
In fact, Gabriel has been nothing short of brilliant with his fourth 400-yard passing performance Saturday in five games this season. His touch on the long ball and his improvisational skills are uncanny, evidenced by a perfectly placed scramble-drill 54-yard TD bomb to Williams in the first quarter.

Remember last year when LSU’s Joe Burrow had arguably the greatest season for a quarterback in the history of college football with 6,040 yards of total offense? That’s an average of 403 yards of total offense per game. Thus far this season, Gabriel is averaging 461 yards of total offense, nearly 60 yard per game more than Burrow averaged last season.
So when is the spring game???

Man I am excited for us get to be one of the Top performing offenses in the country. Gonna be a hell of a ride.
Same here, I feel like a person that’s been in hundreds of bad relationships. Hurt over and over again. I told myself when Pruitt was fired that I wasn’t going to get hyped with the next coach until he’s proven, I’m in hook, line and sinker. 😂😂😂😂

Reactions: Jimmy Football
I didn’t see Missouri getting shut down
In 2016, they had 1 game against a P5 above 28 points against, you guessed it, Tennessee. They also lost games scoring 11, 7, and 10 points that year.

In 2017, they were much better, but they still scored 3 points against PURDUE, and got destroyed against Auburn, Georgia, and Texas that year, no thanks to Heupel.

Jones followed the path of an established, high level coach in Brian Kelly. He rode the coattails to the UT job. The problem with Butch was he thought he was bigger than the program. His success happened because he found lightening in a bottle with Dobbs. Dobbs in a decent offense should have been a Heisman front runner. Those 9-4 teams should have been national title contenders but Butch was the coach.
We are talking about resumes before they got hired

Miles Campbell gonna eat in this offense.
Offense could be good. We have a lot of talent on that side and speed. If we score 35ppg. What do you think our win total could be? I say seven next year. And damn he wouldn’t have any trouble recruiting winning that much.

I'm mad busy today and have no prayer at keeping up with this thread. I'll give my 2 cents, assuming it is Heupel, positives and negatives.

Negatives:

1. Volnation will never learn to spell his name right. Heaven help us. His last name might just as well be spelled out in Thai.
2. Sanctions are clearly going to be bad, or the perception in the industry that they will be, because White had to work down his list.
3. He is unproven over time.
4. What we have seen in the short-term was decline, though there could be valid reasons for that. I'm not sure what the roster looked like when Frost left.
5. We miss out on the "flashy" hire that would be proven and bring stability. Greatly needed
6. He needs a strong defensive coordinator... possibly one made out of Steele.
7. Has not been the best recruiter and needs a strong staff

Positives:

1. SEC Experience at Mizzou
2. Scores points by the droves. We've not seen that in years.
3. Developed Drew Lock
4. May be able to bring in one of the hottest OC names in Jeff Lebby
5. Should play well with Ty Simpson and help begin a nice domino effect in recruiting.
6. Excellent QB coach. We need that DESPERATELY. Who was the last decent one? I literally cannot remember...
7. No one knows him better than Danny White
8. Has experience working with lesser talent, not top tier Bama talent.

Ultimately, it comes down to this for me. He was probably not on White's Top 10 list. Few of us in life ever get the top 10 of much of anything of value that we want. Sometimes, it works out for the best. We were clearly forced into the same position Fulmer was in a few years ago... limited options. I'm not going to hold it over the AD's head unless I know for a fact he was given a blank check and only hit the 1st number on his speed dial and went directly to Heupel.

Worst Case Scenario:

IMO, the worst case scenario is that we are crushed by sanctions, Heupel is hamstrung by scholarship reductions and bowl bans and can never get his footing. He is used to building with lesser talent so he can make strides with our current roster while pulling in some offensive weapons. Recruiting may struggle due to lack of "star power" in his name, but I think a strong staff eliminates that concern. After a few years, Danny White uses his mulligan after we have cleared sanctions, built a clean program, and the job is now much more desirable. Yes, we always assume the job will be more desirable, but I've said it.

Best Case Scenario:

We've hired a young innovative offensive minded coach whose best years are before him and he has chosen to work with this AD twice. He has more money than ever to build a quality staff and he benefits from the program upgrade of being able to recruit to Tennessee. We don't know where the ceiling is. He could be Lincoln Riley.
Well done. I choose to believe the positives/ best case scenario until my eyes prove otherwise.

It would be funny if they followed up with a defense graphic that just said “Well...”

The fast pace skews things a bit.

His defenses aren't as bad as you think if you look at yard per play. UCF was actually 5th in the country in 2019 at yards per play. They were terrible last year though at 95th.

Similarly, they were like 20th in yard per play on offense last year compared to 2nd in yards per game.

Took from a volquester who posted this article from the Orlando Sentinel. I don't think we realize how good this offense is about to be. I know it's long, but read it guys. It's worth it.

“He does not have a playbook, maybe a pamphlet or just a page is what I can glean from what I am seeing,” wrote one fan.

“Truly feels like we have just eight plays,” wrote another fan.
“The coach needs to go,” wrote another.

And this, ladies and gentlemen, is why I never, ever listen to fans, which is short for fanatics, which is a synonym for wackos.

UCF 51, Tulane 34.
The Knights compiled 689 yards of total offense on Saturday, quarterback Dillon Gabriel threw for 422 yards and five touchdowns, running back Greg McCrae ran 25 times for 162 yards and wide receiver Marlon Williams caught nine passes for 174 yards and three touchdowns.

Hey, disgruntled fans, ask Tulane’s defense about Josh Heupel’s playbook.

Ask any opposing defensive coordinator in college football about Josh Heupel’s playbook.

Yes, UCF’s season thus far has been a major disappointment because of a young, porous defense but at least Knights fans can turn on the TV every Saturday and be entertained by one of the most astute offensive minds in the game, one of the best quarterbacks in the country and inarguably the most explosive, entertaining offense in the nation.
Maybe even in history.
If you’re scoring at home, Gabriel leads the nation in passing, Williams leads the nation in receiving and UCF’s offense is now averaging a national-best 646.8 yards per game. If the Knights keep up this pace, they will shatter the all-time record for total offense in a season set by the 1989 Houston Cougars, who averaged 624.9 yards per game.

In three years at UCF, Heupel has a 26-6 record at UCF and his offense has been ranked No. 5, No. 2 and now No. 1 in the country. And before he took the UCF job, Heupel was the offensive coordinator at Missouri under former head coach Barry Odom.
When Heupel arrived at Mizzou in 2016, he took over an offense ranked 124th in the country the previous season. In the first year of Heupel’s fast-break, no-huddle offense, the Tigers were ranked 13th in the nation and improved to eighth the following year in the big, bad SEC. When Heupel left, the Missouri offense went back to its formerly pathetic self.
Anybody who questions Heupel’s offensive imagination and acumen is just plain idiotic. The man is an offensive genius. Or as the great Steve Spurrier once playfully reprimanded a sports writer back in his heyday, “Don’t call me a genius; call me a mastermind.”
The Knights came into Saturday not only leading the nation in total offense, but no other team in college football was within 40 yards of their average. For comparison’s sake, Alabama has the most explosive offenses of the Nick Saban era, and UCF is averaging about 80 yards per game more than the Crimson Tide.

“We’ve got a lot of great players and that makes it a whole lot easier to call offensive plays,” Heupel said. “This offensive skill group is athletic and understands what they’re doing. We’ve got great trust in every single one of them. We’ve also got five guys up front [on the offensive line] who fight and compete. … And being in Year 2, you’ve seen the growth that Dillon has had as a quarterback.”
In fact, Gabriel has been nothing short of brilliant with his fourth 400-yard passing performance Saturday in five games this season. His touch on the long ball and his improvisational skills are uncanny, evidenced by a perfectly placed scramble-drill 54-yard TD bomb to Williams in the first quarter.

Remember last year when LSU’s Joe Burrow had arguably the greatest season for a quarterback in the history of college football with 6,040 yards of total offense? That’s an average of 403 yards of total offense per game. Thus far this season, Gabriel is averaging 461 yards of total offense, nearly 60 yard per game more than Burrow averaged last season.

*whispers*

All the best offenses really run the same 10 plays. Just have window dressing and mix up formations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back