Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dan Wolken actually said something I agree with. He said Tennessee should have just fired Pruitt and paid him instead of digging around to find dirt and bury our own program and the job would have been 10 times more attractive. This is so Tennessee 😞🤦🏼‍♂️🍊🏈🔥🔥🔥🗑🗑🗑

I don’t feel like that’s what happened. I don’t think they wanted to fire Pruitt. I think the investigation was real

Reactions: OrangenSC
No need in spinning it any way. With pending sanctions, we did what we could.

At this time, we are not looked at as a desirable place to coach. We are Toxic. Period. That’s the cold hard truth. If anyone sees it any other way you are delusional.

No amount of money is gonna change that.

Now, who’s to say we didn’t hire a good coach that can weather the storm, and put some points on the board?? We have two good kids at QB that will be coached up by one on the best QB coaches in the country.

If he brings in a good staff, who knows what will happen. Maybe he sets the world on fire and maybe he falls on his face. Time will tell. But stats prove he knows offense.

No need in being down and pouting about it, it is what it is. We tried and with how the culture and with the looming sanctions overhead, coaches won’t touch us.

So really you need to point the distain towards Pruitt, and this is what we got in return.
With all due respect, MV, we put the sanctions on ourselves. We didn’t have to nuke the program to hire Heupel. Another bone-headed decision by the administration. Could have just fired Pruitt and told Fulmer he can retire or be fired. Would have been able to make a better hire than Heupel. Hope he can some how win here and be the coach we need him to be, but I am super skeptical, and I’m not accepting this hire as easily as I talked myself into the last 4.

This is nuanced so bear with me. It wasn't that they avoided Sexton clients, DW just refused to deal with Sexton's middle man tricks. Sexton is known to use boosters he is close with (or media) to put pressure on ADs to talk to (even hire) his clients, without ever speaking with the AD. DW refused to play that game and notified Sexton early on they had to speak directly and he wouldn't respond to others being his messenger. Sexton (and a few boosters and members of the media) weren't happy about that, but there were discussions about several Sexton clients - but nothing bubbled up in terms of mutual interest. Punchline, if you want to control leaks, you minimize the use of middle men. That's why there were very few leaks until the very end.

Post more.

That's one of his biggest cons. He didn't recruit well at UCF despite inheriting a team who was undefeated. That's not a controversial take
He recuited at the same level they always were at.... they had one class at 55 in the past several years and the rest were low 60’s.

Reactions: bpvol
Obviously not the Splash Hire we were all looking for. This is a much better hire than the Pruitt hire on the face of it. Heupel is slightly above Pruitt IMO with play calling and significantly above Pruitt on player development. If you look at the talent that is at Missouri and the talent at UCF and what they were able to produce offensively under Heupel you can't deny that he can do much more with less. This is a major key in what we needed to find in our next ball coach. We needed a guy that could get the most out of his players. Personally I don't like the possibility of them keeping any of the previous staff on board outside of possibly Steele. None of the previous staff have proven to be worth a darn and need to be shown the door.

One thing that Heupel is missing that I felt we desperately needed was a coach who has developed a program and more than just one year's type results like Napier and Chadwell. There aren't many out there that have this on their resume and I'm sure we reached out to them at some point in this search. Heupel does not have this experience. Does that mean he doesn't have it in him? You never know. He sure is going to have to have some thick skin to navigate the program through the sanctions we are about to face.

All I know is we just became significantly more attractive to Ty Simpson. I expect the offense this upcoming year with either Salter or Bailey at the helm to be much more lively. This guy is an elite talent at developing QBs.

Most of us aren’t happy with how this search went but that’s because we believed “insiders” were going to bring us Bob Stoops or Matt Campbell. They didn’t. That sucks. Time to move on, we have Heupel.

Guys, UT recruits itself. Heupel with some good assistants will be top 20 without a doubt, even under this NCAA cloud. Could be Top 10 if he hires guys like Garner and keeps Steele and Graham. At the very least we’re going to be fun to watch on offense. That’ll be a nice change of pace.

Am I doing backflips at this hire? No. But his resume is better than the last few coaches we’ve hired. I’m ready to see what he can do. Let’s go!
Well said

Reactions: VOLSONLY
Dan Wolken actually said something I agree with. He said Tennessee should have just fired Pruitt and paid him instead of digging around to find dirt and bury our own program and the job would have been 10 times more attractive. This is so Tennessee 😞🤦🏼‍♂️🍊🏈🔥🔥🔥🗑🗑🗑

Actually Wolken's talking about the low/no integrity approach, which I disagree with. If they had done that, the cancer would have still been there. Sorry for the analogy. It was time for a complete re-set. I don't like the hire and where we are either. But all of the prior hires were either attempts at a quick fix (Kiffin) or lipstick on a pig (Dooley, Jones, Pruitt).... It was time to clean house and start over.

This is why you don’t burn your own house down. We invited the NCAA in and burned our own house to save a buyout. Way to go UT.
SAY IT LOUDER FOR THE ADMINISTRATION AT TENNESSEE!!! May have been the stupidest mistake we have made yet in the past 13 years!

To give AP the scoop was the final shot over the bow for me with the sports media around here. Insulting. Congrats to AP for worming his way into that.

I love the Vols because my dad loved the Vols and went there. I have seen games at Neyland going back to as a kid watching Steve Delong and Walter Chadwick from the north side bleachers. I have a sister and nephew who marched in POTS. I have VFL's and families as friends. Seeing them all as the players ran out onto the field while going to games with dad and our best friends through the decades are some of the best memories I have as a Vol fan.

But I don't love it like I did for all those years anymore. I am tired of having my intelligence insulted by incompetents at UT and in sports media. I am tired of my fandom being taken for granted. Good luck to our version of Eli Drinkwitz. I still hope Mehupel and Big Dollar Danny can restore the past glory somehow. Personally, I think General Neyland and Johnny Majors are spinning in their graves. At least the O will be interesting to watch like most other Sunbelt quality teams.

I'm not really worried about recruiting depending on assistant hires. I'm guessing he will recruit well on the offensive side of the ball. If he gets a good defensive staff that will go a long way on that side of the ball. Let's see who he brings with him before jumping off a cliff. This may wind up being a really good staff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back