Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
I brought it in here, a random in the FF, said they had a player come into the ER where they work and said there was a sitting NFL coach approached. Myself and another poster in there came up with Tomlin and Op said that was who it was.
Gotcha so it’s possible that all the smoke out there about James Franklin was actually Tomlin hmmm that’d be freaking crazy awesome

Reactions: Sleegro
I am totally on board with Jerrod Mayo at this point. Steele DC, Gardner DL, Simon LB, DB ???

Cooter OC/QB, Tee WR, Graham RB, Hank Fraley OL, Witten TE
I don't hate it.... If we haven't approached Cooter we are doing a disservice. He may not want it, but he also may not have an NFL job either.

What qualifies the names we are hearing? Dykes? Heupel?

Belichick wanted him on his staff and he has been calling the defensive plays for the Patriots for a decade. Players absolutely love him and will follow him into battle. And I realize that race played a role, but there are plenty of other black dudes with more credentials that nfl teams could be interviewing to check that box. But they want to talk to Mayo for some reason.

Well.. Huepel has been a HC before for one. Has won 78% of his games too. Helped Sam Darnold win a Heisman as his QB coach.

Gotcha so it’s possible that all the smoke out there about James Franklin was actually Tomlin hmmm that’d be freaking crazy awesome
Nah, I don't think so. I do believe we approached Franklin as well. I do think White swung for the big fish, we are just in a place short of a miracle that a connection wasn't likely.

Reactions: Sleegro
Have you looked at Rhule's career?

At Baylor he took over immediately after that huge Briles scandal, arguably one of the biggest negative impacts to a college program in the past decade.
He went 1-11, 7-6, and 11-3. When he went 11-3 he lost to Oklahoma twice (once in the Big 12 Championship game) and then lost to #5 Georgia. Think about that. It took him two years to flip a roster and be within 1 game of making the CFB.

He was with the Giants when they won the Super Bowl, he's a phenomenal OL coach, and he managed to go 5-11 in his first year in a division that has Matt Ryan, Tom Brady, and Drew Brees.

I'll give you Saban and Sweeney, but Day hasn't coached a team with a losing record and built a program from the ground up, ever. Very few active coaches today can say that.

He also left Baylor with nothing ask our resident Bear fan.

Got most of his buddies a fat check for the same result. If he’s a good OL why was Teddy killed nearly every week? Joe Brady is the star there Rhule just gets the credit.

VFL, but new here...Gotta know the Neyland Rising story?!?
Didn’t see this get answered yet...

A few days ago some folks noticed @Neyland Rising was liking posts they had made 4-5 days prior. This trend continued and it became apparent the poster was reading the whole way through, and not skipping anything despite being so far behind. On top of that, they have been a member for years and never posted. We quickly began to cheer the poster on in their quest to catch up.

Fast forward to today and not only are they caught up, but they made their first post, and it was quite funny at that; cementing @Neyland Rising as a legend and possibly the only positive of this coach search.

The 12 was me, poster said Saban money would have to be the offer.
Oh gotcha well Saban is at 9mil and I don’t think that includes any bonuses. (So add in Bonuses and he is make a ton of money)

Tomlin is making 7Mil so even if you took him to 9Mil he would be making 2Mil more a year.

(Sounds like a nice retirement plan, plus, he’d be able to make all of the calls instead of having to constantly listen to others tell him what to do....granted that will always be around but just not in the same way it is in the NFL)

Also, Tomlin coached at The University of Tennessee-Martin for a short time before Coaching at Arkansas State

Last edited:
Great post about Heupel’s record on VQ:

2018- 12-1
-Gave LSU all they wanted in NY6 game. Lost 40-32 back when LSU had a sick defense.
-Also lost star QB, Milton McKenzie, last regular season game. Still won conference championship over a really good Memphis team.
-Destroyed Pitt by 5 TDs.
-I don't care what level or talent you have if you go 12-1 against really good conference competition you can coach. That doesn't just happen.

2019- had to play a freshman with no McKenzie and he ate.... went 10-3.
-Beat Stanford by 3 TDs
-Lost to Pitt by 1 @ Pitt who had a stacked NFL player loaded defense and still dropped 34 points losing by 1.
-Lost to a really good Cincy team @ Cincy by a FG
-Lost @ Tulsa by a FG.
-Destroyed Marshall in bowl game by 4 TDs.

Again a freshman QB and averaged 43.3 PPG.

2020- 6-4

-Posters ITT telling me they had around 10 players opt out
-Destroyed Georgia Tech 49-21
-Lost to a really good Tulsa team by a TD. Tulsa lost to Ok State by 9, Miss State by 2 and Cincy by 3.
-Lost to Memphis by 1 point
-Lost to Cincy by 3 who turned out to be a Top 10 team in the country. Scored 33 on that Luke Fickell defense.
-Lost bowl game to a buzzsaw BYU team with a QB who is about to go Top 5.

Averaged 41 PPG.

Can we quit with the garbage that this guy isn't an offensive stud or coach? They play in a really really good conference that is very competitive top to bottom. He lost 3 games by a possession this past year.

If he is the guy we need to give him a blank check for his DC and defensive staff. If I am Heupel I hand the keys to Steele and let him get Garner and T Will and I handle the offense.

The man can fall out of bed and score points just like he did at Missouri when he absolutely put it on our head 2 straight years. He helped turn Milton McKenzie into a Heisman contender. And scored just as much with a freshman QB when McKenzie was lost on one play.

Hilarious we have "fans" trashing this potential hire because all they did was look at a record in a Covid year with no context. And the other reality is this.... Danny White, who prioritizes leadership and culture, watched this guy daily for 3 years. He absolutely has a grasp of what kind of CEO he would be.
You have me really trying to get on board with Heupel.

Here are my biggest complaints and honestly mostly originating from "insider" info:

-told great AD hire we aren't messing around now
-backing up the Brinks truck
-AD has a centurion card
-money is not an option
-we are hiring an experienced P5 head coach
-done with experiments
-most everyone will love the hire

Struts out Heupel.

-Good offense
-can he recruit SEC caliber players
-can he land a defensive coordinator

I don't see this hire getting the fan base hyped up. Hard to see it getting the current players hyped up and hard to see any players in the portal coming back with this hire. I hope I'm wrong...

I'll be in the stands next year no matter what acting like a crazy Vol fan and hoping for the best. If it is Heupel I'll be behind him 100% unless the wheels fall off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back