Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
I almost think they intentionally dropped it the way they did knowing fans would meltdown because of not getting any info going all the way back to before the JP and PF firings.
Very possible. Unless I’ve missed something, I think they were the ones that had Franklin offered and had years and money. I’ve not saw that anywhere else besides in here. It’s far out there but that could be the agenda ATL was discussing last night. Not aimed at VQ but agents floating that too them.

What qualifies him for HC of a major program?
What qualifies the names we are hearing? Dykes? Heupel?

Belichick wanted him on his staff and he has been calling the defensive plays for the Patriots for a decade. Players absolutely love him and will follow him into battle. And I realize that race played a role, but there are plenty of other black dudes with more credentials that nfl teams could be interviewing to check that box. But they want to talk to Mayo for some reason.

No, he’s not.

He’d easily get worked by Saban, Day, and Sweeney.

Have you looked at Rhule's career?

At Baylor he took over immediately after that huge Briles scandal, arguably one of the biggest negative impacts to a college program in the past decade.
He went 1-11, 7-6, and 11-3. When he went 11-3 he lost to Oklahoma twice (once in the Big 12 Championship game) and then lost to #5 Georgia. Think about that. It took him two years to flip a roster and be within 1 game of making the CFB.

He was with the Giants when they won the Super Bowl, he's a phenomenal OL coach, and he managed to go 5-11 in his first year in a division that has Matt Ryan, Tom Brady, and Drew Brees.

I'll give you Saban and Sweeney, but Day hasn't coached a team with a losing record and built a program from the ground up, ever. Very few active coaches today can say that.

Reactions: scvolfan7
No offense, but after 15 years of suck, this fanbase has chilled the F out all they're going to and rightly so.

So the base is just going to slam every single coaching hire that comes up into perpetuity? The idiots on social media literally complain about every single coach that is mentioned... Kiffin, Freeze, Chadwell, Franklin, Huepel.. people have raised hell about every single one of these guys one way or another.

I don't disagree the base doesn't have a right to be frustrated. I agreed with the Schiano revolt. But there is only one way to fix this and it's everyone shutting the F up and letting the one competent AD we have had in 18yrs lead this thing. We want to win, then we need to pull together, not try to screw everything we don't love up because nobody knows what they're talking about.

Reactions: OrangenSC
I mentioned earlier that I’d dive a bit into the stats behind Heupel’s tenure at UCF. If y’all want to talk more about numbers/methodologies we can do that, but I wanted to give a overview tonight.

Over the past couple years, I’ve tweaked a rating system I’ve made to evaluate coaches based on two criteria:

1. Overall performance. Better coaches generally have better teams. Obvious enough.

2. Performance relative to talent on the roster. We can talk for days about the state of development, but raw talent is something we can account for, via 247’s composite. Basically, more talent leads to a higher expectation of performance, and I want to see what coaches outperform their expected values the most.

To measure performance, I’m not going with wins and losses, but ESPN’s efficiency metrics. These are adjusted for SOS and pace, so we can avoid all the “they ain’t played nobody” and total-offense pitfalls. These metrics should tell us just how “good” the team was that year.

After evaluating performance and measuring against what they should’ve done according to their talent level, I’ve placed the values on a classic school grading scale. Saban gets a solid 100/A+, guys like Herman/Doeren are in the C+ range, and Pruitt comes in at a D+.

So now, based on the years 2015+, here are the results. I’ll list a few candidates here.

Freeze
Overall: 80
Offense: 87
Defense: 72

Herman
Overall: 79
Offense: 76
Defense: 80

Fleck
Overall: 78
Offense: 81
Defense: 71

Napier
Overall: 78
Offense: 86
Defense: 66

Chadwell
Overall: 74
Offense: 78
Defense: 67

Kiffin
Overall: 74
Offense: 81
Defense: 65

Dykes
Overall: 73
Offense: 80
Defense: 66

Leipold
Overall: 70
Offense: 72
Defense: 70

Healy
Overall: 58
Offense: 71
Defense: 50

Heupel
Overall: 88
Offense: 91
Defense: 76

Frankly, that offense is a machine, and it’s a consistent machine. Every year graded better than Kiffin’s best at FAU, without the drawback of the 2 that were barely meeting (or slightly failing) talent expectations.

Heupel’s overall profile of results vs. expectations is actually right there with Gundy/Wittingham, and his offensive grade is above the likes of Gundy/Mack Brown/Freeze/Petersen.

I’ve said it earlier, his recruiting and program building is a massive unknown, but this guy is no Sonny Dykes on the field.

Enjoy, and hit me up with any requests, data, questions if you’re interested.

Prob a pipe dream but I find it interesting that DW even inquired. (and by interesting I mean encouraging!)
Yep, im guessing the Haslams and Peyton being involved got him to listen. Early on I had this weird feeling we may end up with a guy with NFL ties, but Tomlin never crossed my mind. But now its Josh Heupel

Reactions: Sleegro
I read the story of how Heupel got fired at Oklahoma. Basically, Oklahoma shifting from a defense oriented team into a high octane offensive team started with him.

Oklahoma finished 8-5 and Bob Stoops was told he had to make changes. He chose to fire Heupel over his brother Mike, even though the defense was putrid and the offense was pretty good.

In other words. Bob gave him the shaft because of nepotism.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back