Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Again, Heupel is not the end of the world, but he is also less than what university leaders told us to expect. You act as if there isn't reason to be disappointed. There is. It was Boyd and Plowman who raised expectations with their pretty talk about how great we would be and what we would get in our next coach. They failed to deliver what they said they would.

Also, I'd be remiss if I didn't mention a coach that beat that "buzzsaw" BYU team...:)
This is exactly the issue. The leadership sold something that they can’t deliver on. If there is fallout from this I blame Plowman, Boyd, and the AD. Heck, the past decade plus has been a problem because of hiring incompetent people in these positions.

Steele for a year. Get this **** right in 10 months

Is anything really going to change in 10 months, though? It may take 2 or 3 years before we know exactly what the NCAA is going to do to us. Plus it will be almost impossible to recruit with an interim coach. If we're going to go the Steele route, we need to remove the interim tag and just make it a cheap, easy contract to get out of.

It's time to accept that there may not be any proven P5 coaches who want to come here with the cloud of sanctions hanging over our head. That's just reality.
I was perfectly willing to accept that reality before Boyd and Plowman started setting criteria for who they were gonna get. They raised everyone's hopes. That's also reality. Never let your mouth write checks your ass can't keep.

Just got home from job #2, are we actually hiring Josh Heupel? He is the rumored choice over Tony Elliott? If that's the case, Wow... It would seem to be a very unimaginative hire on the part of our new AD, since Heupel is at Central Florida already.. Don't know anything about Heupel to be honest, except I know he played at Oklahoma. Can he recruit, etc..? IDK, seems like a risk to me, but I guess guys like Jamey Chadwell would be risks as well, along with Tony Elliott.

We should.

No brainer. I’m with you. To hell w everyone else and public perception. Winning and time heals all

If the NCAA is coming for dinner and I knew I couldn’t get out of it I’d have freeze setting the table and making bread.

If they wanted to stay awhile I’d make sure a dorm room was clean. To hell with ‘em

This is why I would love to have a guy who REALLY wants to be here. Not saying heupel wouldnt be happy to come, but we know of 2 guys, which are good coaches, WANT the job and will deal with the baggage on the horizon.
One of them you just cant bring in with the NCAA stuff he has behind him. Its not a good look, sanctions are already going to be bad enough it would get to the point the AA would have no choice but to SMU us if he was caught doing anything.
The other guy, 1 im not convinced he actually wants to be here, 2 he is too big of a flight risk.
Chadwell, this isn't the time and place, let him stay at CC continue to learn or go somewhere else. He has never been at a top program the last thing you want to do is bring him in under sanctions and kill his career before it ever gets started. In 3-4 years after we find out what the AA stuff is he would be a better option.
Heupel needs to be a guy that can stay here 4-5 years and stabilize things, and with his past relationship with DW I think he will be.

Again, Heupel is not the end of the world, but he is also less than what university leaders told us to expect. You act as if there isn't reason to be disappointed. There is. It was Boyd and Plowman who raised expectations with their pretty talk about how great we would be and what we would get in our next coach. They failed to deliver what they said they would.

Also, I'd be remiss if I didn't mention a coach that beat that "buzzsaw" BYU team...:)
In the same place as you right now. If we would have been excited about JH for a reason, he would have been hotly debated the last month. Not sure VN missed that big...

When we hired DW my buddy said it sounds like we are about to get a Big 12 QB as a coach. He kept joking that Major Applewhite was going to be the coach. Well it seems like he was right, he just picked the wrong Big 12 QB.

Reactions: NMVol
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back