Josh Heupel emerges (old thread)

Exactly. Heupels record has gotten worse each year. So was his first year success due to his coaching or riding the team first built? Getting worse each year doesn’t point to success and ability to build a program.
When you start out 12-1, it’s tough to go up though. I’m going to say that it’s hard to make a definitive statement one way or the other after those 3 years, especially with all the weirdness associated with this last year being one of the 3.

Lol, because you think that would be a fine scenario for UT to be in?

Hiring Heupel? It’s far from ideal but the harsh reality is us Vol fans are going to have to lower our expectations. You can agree or disagree but we aren’t a powerhouse. We have no clout. We aren’t relevant. We are a national joke. So this thinking that we can just pay whatever and a great HC will come is bunk.

Heupel is a solid coach. Is he my first choice? No way. Could he succeed here? I think he could do a good job. Of course it seems there is already aome fans wanting White gone before he has done anything. It seems you are already judging him on this hire.

Would hiring Heupel be our best scenario? Absolutely not. But he checks the boxes and we could do worse.

Reactions: Thorp32 and tnktm
I'm hearing Bob Davie.

Somebody start that thread. Our goal should be to have at least 100 coaches be in the running per the rumor mill.

Reactions: JRich
You know it is coming...

f468bfa3e0b47ce4fe68531309b9e6e89f9c338a.gif

...White is going to have Knoxville media tracking Fat Patricia.

Hiring Heupel? It’s far from ideal but the harsh reality is us Vol fans are going to have to lower our expectations. You can agree or disagree but we aren’t a powerhouse. We have no clout. We aren’t relevant. We are a national joke. So this thinking that we can just pay whatever and a great HC will come is bunk.

Heupel is a solid coach. Is he my first choice? No way. Could he succeed here? I think he could do a good job. Of course it seems there is already aome fans wanting White gone before he has done anything. It seems you are already judging him on this hire.

Would hiring Heupel be our best scenario? Absolutely not. But he checks the boxes and we could do worse.

So making White the second highest paid AD in th country, then having him hire a search firm for $120,000, only to hire Josh Heupel way from his former employer, you think those are good optics for UT?

I will support the hire, but there is a little voice in the back of my head that is screaming "Isn't this like when Butch came in and said that he was going to bring the best staff in the nation" with him and then he just brings his staff from Cincinnati with him?

I almost feel that it is deja vu all over again with White being Butch.

I can't imagine this being true based on what I know to be fact. The contract being drafted today was for an offer that had been in the works for a few days. Heupel doesn't make sense.

For those of you that doubt the bold part, I will gladly email Freak (or a mod of his choosing) proof of my contact when this is over. While I have never been given a name of any coach in the search, let it suffice to say that my information comes from someone in the room when the contract is/was signed.
Did your source tell you that a MOU was signed?

So making White the second highest paid AD in th country, then having him hire a search firm for $120,000, only to hire Josh Heupel way from his former employer, you think those are good optics for UT?

Not really. But what if that’s the best we can do?

VN Store

Back