Coachery

For there to be a contradiction, all of that would need to be true. Not all of that is from SF- I never think all the plane stuff is true.

We missed on #1, and #2 isn’t as universally and unequivocally agreed on. That’s common in many searches. DW is making the call, but there’s no harm in the amendment to the plan being two more interviews. Particularly when #2 is not a big fish, which it’s clear he’s not if we’re interviewing three right now. And it not being a big fish is consistent with SF tidbits.

I personally think everyone that needs to agree to the plan had agreed, but many didn’t think we’d get to #2

And the key here is DW is making the call. I don't think Boosters or DP have any say in that (other than contractual terms).

Reactions: kcvols1
For all I know, one of the people you mentioned may be the hire. I’m guessing on who the candidate s are.
I’m just wondering why you don’t venture to all, if UT as attractive of a place that both have said it is, the money should speak for itself but could prove we are fixing to get hosed in penalties

That’s all fair. As a non-participant, I can only tell you the parts I know. DW traveling today is one of the details I know. What went off the rails, is a detail I don’t know. You’re right that the commitment to not meddle is something we both heard, and to meddle would be very UT. In my gut, I still think our chancellor is smart, and we hired a great AD. I’d still give him the benefit of the doubt to put the right plan together.
image.jpg
Well to that, all I can say is cheers good fellow Vol, and here’s hoping for the best!

That’s all fair. As a non-participant, I can only tell you the parts I know. DW traveling today is one of the details I know. What went off the rails, is a detail I don’t know. You’re right that the commitment to not meddle is something we both heard, and to meddle would be very UT. In my gut, I still think our chancellor is smart, and we hired a great AD. I’d still give him the benefit of the doubt to put the right plan together.
It’s easy to say you won’t meddle when your universal #1 is on the board and you’re confident/arrogant you’ll land him.

I personally think everyone that needs to agree to the plan, had agreed, but many didn’t think we’d get to #2 when offering our target $40 million.

Things change when faced with contingencies. Every round further removed from the no brainer makes meddling more likely. Everyone has their favorite n-1 or n-2 guy

I wish I could go back and repair all the painful things you’ve been through. For now, all
I can do is share information in a fluid situation. I’m sorry if it’s not the dream you wanted.

First off you don’t know my dream hire. Secondly, you share information from a fluid situation? WOW, we could honestly all do the same thing and possibly be right in the end. My original post wasn’t directed at you but I think you’re FOS with your insider info. I personally don’t buy it. We can revisit everything after the new coach is hired.

It's difficult, if not impossible, to connect all the dots at this point...but taking into account the posts of SF; the other credible posters here; and the (very few) credible media folks, it appears that our #1 choice may have said "no". This is admittedly an assumption.

Mind you, this search is unlike any search we've conducted before, so no assumptions based on previous searches can be safely made here. It may be that the real #1 is still in play. But if...if...DW's first choice has turned us down, then where does UT turn now?

Oh...we're less than a week into the "Search of the Century", so let's try to keep things in perspective here, huh? The next HFC at UT is going to have some tricky ground to navigate, including potential NCAA sanctions that have yet to be determined or announced. And then, of course, there's UGA, UF, and Bama to deal with on an annual basis. Translation: the next UT head football coach is going to have to really want to be here. The money, large though it may be, ain't worth ruining your career over.

So Howsabout we relax...take a deep breath...relax...and let the chips fall where they may. We have an AD unlike anything we've had since Dickey. He has a record of hiring winners. So let's give him the chance to get the best coach he can. We know he can't get Saban, or Dabo, or Day. And it may turn out that his first, second, or even third choice looks at the current state of UT Football and says "No, thank you." It is what it is. But when it all plays out, I do think that AD White will lay it all on the line, and bring home the very best coach he could find, and land.

At this point, that's all we can ask. AD White didn't put UT Football in the shitter. We hired him to get it out of the crapper, and back to relevance in the SEC. And eventually, on the national level. His track record says he can do it. We have to believe that he will.

There's more than one football coach out there who can bring the Vols back. He only has to find one of them. I think he will. It might not be the obvious, most popular, sexiest, coolest, or most prominent choice...but he will bring a winner to Knoxville. Soon enough to make the '21 season salvageable.

If you're a VFL, then you line up behind the man who is spending every waking moment trying to bring home a winner for UT. And you.

Go Vols.
Talked me back off the ledge, thank you and I agree totally.
GO BIG ORANGE!!

Reactions: Stoerner Fumbles
If we’re looking at Dykes and OC’s, why not Bill O’Brien? He has experience as a P5 HC at a top program in turmoil.

Is it because he’s a flight risk to the NFL? Presumably he’d need to do well here to make that happen.

History has shown that after a year or two at Bama he’ll be a candidate for top jobs. Look at that drunk Sark going to Texas.
That’s nice calling a man with a disease a drunk. Your momma must be proud

Reactions: ArcherVol
If White is as good as advertised and he felt that Sonny Dykes was the best option after the big fish or an assistant coach, shouldn't we give him the benefit of doubt? If the administration is telling him whom to hire then we are screwed.

First off you don’t know my dream hire. Secondly, you share information from a fluid situation? WOW, we could honestly all do the same thing and possibly be right in the end. My original post wasn’t directed at you but I think you’re FOS with your insider info. I personally don’t buy it. We can revisit everything after the new coach is hired.

VN insiders are consistently good at one thing - being absolutely wrong about everything then camouflaging their original predictions as flawed sources, situations changed, or disappearing entirely. Why do people entertain this nonsense?

If White is as good as advertised and he felt that Sonny Dykes was the best option after the big fish or an assistant coach, shouldn't we give him the benefit of doubt? If the administration is telling him whom to hire then we are screwed.

I think that’s fair but I think it would be kinda funny to end up with Sonny Dykes this time when we could have had Mike Leach last time, or maybe it would be fitting.

Reactions: txbo
First off you don’t know my dream hire. Secondly, you share information from a fluid situation? WOW, we could honestly all do the same thing and possibly be right in the end. My original post wasn’t directed at you but I think you’re FOS with your insider info. I personally don’t buy it. We can revisit everything after the new coach is hired.[/QUOTE

Guys, no need to worry and speculate, just know that Donde Plowman is going to bring a man of deep integrity to Knoxville. Someone to really foster and nurture these fine young men’s character. Wins and losses always come second here at UT. We don’t want to win with a guy like Hugh Freeze. We need to be righteous in the cellar of our division with Vandy.
We're so tricking righteous can't even hire a guy like Chadwell. All we are doing with this search, is helping a few jokers get a raise.

Last edited:
VN insiders are consistently good at one thing - being absolutely wrong about everything then camouflaging their original predictions as flawed sources, situations changed, or disappearing entirely. Why do people entertain this nonsense?
I feel a lot of pain from you two. At the least, you have each other. No one can take that away.

I’m just wondering why you don’t venture to all, if UT as attractive of a place that both have said it is, the money should speak for itself but could prove we are fixing to get hosed in penalties

I’m beginning to believe that the only people that find UT attractive are us fans. I understand that we’ve been irrelevant the past 15 years but maybe we’re farther down than what we thought. Idk but if I’m DW and I can’t get my guy. Interim Steele and bring Freeze in next year. That allows the dust to settle here and gives Freeze another year to repair his reputation in the SEC.

I feel a lot of pain from you two. At the least, you have each other. No one can take that away.

It’s way cooler to LARP as having inside information and stringing along hundreds of gullible posters under the anonymity of the Internet, inevitably being proven as FoS, then moving the goal posts to shirk any kind of comeuppance that should come as being outed as a fraud. There is no pain, just calling out BS and pondering what kind of personal inadequacies must be in play to pretend to be something you aren’t on a football forum.

If we’re looking at Dykes and OC’s, why not Bill O’Brien? He has experience as a P5 HC at a top program in turmoil.

Is it because he’s a flight risk to the NFL? Presumably he’d need to do well here to make that happen.

History has shown that after a year or two at Bama he’ll be a candidate for top jobs. Look at that drunk Sark going to Texas.
Maybe O’Brien isn’t interested. After his experience at Penn St trying to Wade through the sanctions, he might not want to get involved in another situation where the program he’s walking into is facing sanctions.

I could see DW between 2:30 and dinner seeing how he can spin this has a win. Drink up DW harder days ahead. GBO

VN Store

Back