Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Serious question, has Elliott ever been a head coach, at any level (high school or up)?

*IF ... if he's the new coach, I don't get why you wouldn't go with Chadwell? I've been saying, I'll trust White, but Elliott makes less sense than if he would've hired Chadwell. Both are good, young coaches but neither are ready for Tennessee, in it's current state.

**I choose not to believe TE has been hired

Last edited:
Fulmer couldn't get those guys on the same page because half of them hated him. Pruitt was the reason our culture still sucked he's an ******* and brought it on himself. Clemsons culture is family and winning, sounds good to me. Facts are the chances of us pulling a sitting P5 coach are slim to none, coaches just don't move. Elliott has turned down multiple jobs including NFL jobs. He stayed at Clemson to learn how to be a HC. White has a successful track record, this is one where we actually need to trust the powers that be. You say we don't need a rookie, but how did that work for Lane in 09? Dooley? Butch?
How do we know Tony Elliott isn’t an azz hole as well? Dabo’s culture is perceived as one of “family” (it’s fake, but that’s beyond the point), but would that be Elliott’s? There is no way to know. Just because he stayed at Clemson to learn to be a head coach doesn’t mean he learned it. You learn that from actually being a head coach. Most P5 coaches don’t make nearly the amount of $$$ we can offer. Money talks. I agree to trust White. But the only way it is Elliott is if a number of coaches told us no. Just because you named 3 coaches that everyone agreed were risky hires doesn’t mean every head coach would end up like that. It’s actually far more likely a coordinator wouldn’t work due to his lack of experience. Again, Tennessee is one of the most challenging jobs in the country. It could arguably be the most challenging. Elliott is being put in the media as a distraction. That info is coming from the Clemson side. White hasn’t revealed who are the actual candidates being considered at this time. Elliott is a plan G option.

Reactions: TN-POSSUM
All these folks on Social media making all thes statistical posts about how great “x” coach’s offense or defense is, is pointless and mostly irrelevant. Pruitt had fantastic stats too as a D coordinator. If you have great athletes and loads of talent you should have great stats. We don’t have that. You can’t make a silk purse out of a sow’s ear.
However you can get the most out of what talent we do have. Eliott did really dang good with Bryant and a bunch of just solid guys at the skill pisition that one year.

Bryant and those guys were not much to work with, and he wrung quite a bit of offense out of them...that year tells me he is pretty good at getting the most out of what he had to work with..

elliot has the red flag that his success was built in for him. If he failed at clemson with the roster that was put there for him, the culture that was built there for him and the offense that was pre built for him then he truly would be an idiot. He has none of that here. And he will fail.
Yes, he isn't perfect, any coach we will be able to get will have warts, but he's a lot better than the other 3 hires we've made. The facts are the chances we pull a proven guy are slim to none. Elliott is worth it over the likes of Dykes, Leipold, Fleck etc...

It doesn’t matter. This is the most important hire in Tennessee history to keep players here. Elliot is not a hire to excite the players. Let’s see where we are in 5 years if we hire him. I’m willing to bet we will be questioning why we didn’t offer Campbell 10 years for 100 million. If A&M could for Jimbo, then why can’t we?
How do you know the players won't be excited for him. What ive seen on twitter they're already starting to come together, Elliott can come in and use what he learned at Clemson to push that culture. We can offer whatever we want doesn't mean they'll say yes. Campbell has a team that has a good chance at the playoffs the next 2 years, why would he come here?

They know we will always get behind a new hire. That’s why they do it every 3-4 years. It’s money. I’ve had season tickets for over 30 years until now. There will be more like me if Elliot is hired. At the least, you hire Chadwell, if you truly care.

Reactions: JacketVol
Can I move Elliott down to 2nd or 3rd before 1st shift arrives? I just feel Tn has to hit a homerun with this hire or this program will be all but dead.

Uhhhh... you didn't just suggest we have an AD mentor our HC? We tried that with a coach that won a national championship, and it failed miserably. Sure don't need it with someone that just said he is not a coach.
I think the point is DW is known for providing the support a coach needs to succeed. Not that he will "mentor" or interfere with the coaching side at all.

Come on man, that is a crap answer....WHO do YOU want?
I’m not a ****ing AD, I don’t have a short list. I just know I don’t want someone who will inspire no hope in this fan base. Trot tony Elliot out there and you won’t have to lift covid restrictions because no one will give a ****. It’s more of the same, the same **** we’ve done since Kiffin walked out the door.

How do we know Tony Elliott isn’t an azz hole as well? Dabo’s culture is perceived as one of “family” (it’s fake, but that’s beyond the point), but would that be Elliott’s? There is no way to know. Just because he stayed at Clemson to learn to be a head coach doesn’t mean he learned it. You learn that from actually being a head coach. Most P5 coaches don’t make nearly the amount of $$$ we can offer. Money talks. I agree to trust White. But the only way it is Elliott is if a number of coaches told us no. Just because you named 3 coaches that everyone agreed were risky hires doesn’t mean every head coach would end up like that. It’s actually far more likely a coordinator wouldn’t work due to his lack of experience. Again, Tennessee is one of the most challenging jobs in the country. It could arguably be the most challenging. Elliott is being put in the media as a distraction. That info is coming from the Clemson side. White hasn’t revealed who are the actual candidates being considered at this time. Elliott is a plan G option.
$$$ Doesn't always mean anything though. Some guys are happy where they are. We don't know Elliott isn't an *******, but we do know he has been able to remain on 1 staff for awhile which is a good sign, unlike Pruitt. We do know Elliott has had multiple chances to leave and become a HC, unlike Pruitt. We do know Elliott had chances to interview in the NFL unlike Pruitt. TN can be one of the most challenging jobs, but I want a coach that wants that challenge rather than one that just comes here for the money. Elliott could be just a distraction we don't know that is true, but he isn't worth the complete meltdown from our fan base. He isn't Dooley, Butch or Pruitt, he is successful, wanted and has options. This hasn't been an embarrassing coaching search where we have been turned down 100 times and we now have an AD in place that has made great hires before.

Reactions: seaofORANGE22
How do you know the players won't be excited for him. What ive seen on twitter they're already starting to come together, Elliott can come in and use what he learned at Clemson to push that culture. We can offer whatever we want doesn't mean they'll say yes. Campbell has a team that has a good chance at the playoffs the next 2 years, why would he come here?

Do you truly think Tennessee will get back if he is hired? With probation looming, I say Campbell, Kiffin, or Freeze could be the only ones to save the program. Know what the sad thing is? Two of those three are begging for the job. That’s how I know Tennessee still doesn’t care about winning. It’s all money.

You know when 1st shift comes to work , they will squash all this Elliott talk and we will be on somebody that has not being mentioned yet.

Indeed. I’m looking forward to the next name added to the media’s candidate list. Never can have enough speculation, evaluations and pronouncements.

Reactions: tnvols72
Pruitt was the bag man. There is a reason Bama was the only place he stayed at for multiple years. There were 100 red flags for him including the lack of job offers.
Elliott is lauded nationally and has turned down multiple offers including the NFL. Completely different scenarios.
I bet Saban and Bama is a littler nervous right now. They know Pruitt learned that from some place

It doesn’t matter. This is the most important hire in Tennessee history to keep players here. Elliot is not a hire to excite the players. Let’s see where we are in 5 years if we hire him. I’m willing to bet we will be questioning why we didn’t offer Campbell 10 years for 100 million. If A&M could for Jimbo, then why can’t we?
I am one of the biggest Campbell hawks on VN, and even I understand why we wouldn't do that. If we offer him 6-7mil and he won't take it, then he is not worth the gamble of paying 9-10 mil for...even I understand why.

He is not a SURE thing..he is just a much better hand of cards than the rest, and that is just my opinion, a lot of guys here disagree about Campbell for logical reasons.

Elliot has been at Clemson since 2011, he helped build the culture at Clemson. Also all coaches need talent to be successful but having talent means nothing without good coaching. You don't get to the level where Clemson is with bad coaching.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back