Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know there’s a list and I know he’s on it, and also know many of the “hot” names being rumored right now aren’t. Healy’s more of a contingency name, but DW has had him on his contingency list at UCF if Heupel got another job, and you’re kidding yourself if you don’t think DW has kept some of those names in play. Remember - everyone is saying the same thing - DW is not approaching this like any Tennessee search in the modern era
Is Campbell on the list? Yes or no?

Phil got lazy. Thought winning a NC was a free ticket to HC at Tennessee with no expectations of winning. Slacked on recruiting and made poor decisions on staff. Phil has done enough damage to Tennessee.

Stoops is the opposite. What happened after he won a NC? He won 9 more Big 12 Championships and played in another NC game that Oklahoma lost. He didn't get fired in shame by having losing seasons. He retired still a successful coach having won the Big 12 in both his final two years at Oklahoma.

But I don't think Stoops would come here, or even return to college.

Phillip didn't get lazy. The game's culture passed him by.

Bob Stoops
- 1 NC. 2000
- 0.798 winning percentage
- Retired
-Coached in Big 12

Phil Fulmer
- 1 NC. 1998
- 0.745 winning percentage
-Coached in SEC, Tennessee ties
-Retired

You are telling me Bob Stoops is an ideal candidate, worth 7 million a year, and Phil is not a candidate at all? You are gonna have to walk me through the math on that one. I'm not following.

Personally, I don't think we should be dumpster diving behind the retirement home at all. That's just me though.
Phil left in disgrace - twice

I know there’s a list and I know he’s on it, and also know many of the “hot” names being rumored right now aren’t. Healy’s more of a contingency name, but DW has had him on his contingency list at UCF if Heupel got another job, and you’re kidding yourself if you don’t think DW has kept some of those names in play. Remember - everyone is saying the same thing - DW is not approaching this like any Tennessee search in the modern era
Healy would be a tough sell, but I followed his time at Peay closely and he will be a superstar in the industry at some point.

Two or three more good years at Charlotte and I think he’ll get an SEC job.

Phillip didn't get lazy. The game's culture passed him by.
complacent is a better word. "we do what we do, because that's what we've done" i'll never forget him saying something along those lines in an interview somewhere in the early 00's, and thinking, "that ain't good phil?"

he never evolved with the game......that's why it didn't take terribly wrong for coaches like Richt, Saban, Meyer etc...to roll right past him in the SEC.

There is a part of that's scared I'm going to be completely underwhelmed by this hire, which sucks, because at the moment, I like AD White.

Don't disappoint me, Danny Boy!

I seldom agree with Hank, but there is some truth to this
How? I don't know what he looks like! I was and am thinking if we have to get a coordinator the offensive one fro Clemson is great. But would prefer head coaching experience because of the last hire we made , and the shape we're in.

I think @Atlanta VOL must be referring to...Matt Campbell.

He said:

1. “He’s over the moon”. Matt Campbell used to coach at Toledo before taking the Iowa St. job. Toledo is...the ROCKETS!

2. He said there “isn’t enough head room” on one of the planes. I don’t know how tall Matt Campbell is, but he looks like he’s 6’3 or 6’4”.

That’s my story and I’m sticking to it.

Fleck = Butch 2.0
giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back