Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.

NVM. This is the eye roll I was talking about, but I think it was Hyams that asked about the investigation. 43:39 is the eye roll. 43:35 is when the question is asked.

She eye-rolled him because he just insulted her intelligence and capabilities with that question. Listen to her response. She all but said, "I know it might come as a surprise to you but I know wtf I'm doing."

Late Night Thoughts on Candidate's Chances:

Sean Lewis - Yes. White almost always hires someone not on anyone's list & I think given Kent State's ability to score, he could be considered. Hasnt had much success total wins wise, but is young and scores. Might like his potential.
why do people keep saying this🤣 it’s not true at all. Just cause a school like UCF doesn’t pull in big names doesn’t mean those guys were hidden gems that nobody knew about. Dawkins took Stanford to a sweet sixteen the year before getting fired. Frost was the OC at Oregon and was a name that got brought up a lot as an up and comer and in line to get a HC job soon. Same thing with Huepel. Leipold had 5 15-0 seasons in his final 6 years before being hired by White.

why do people keep saying this🤣 it’s not true at all. Just cause a school like UCF doesn’t pull in big names doesn’t mean those guys were hidden gems that nobody knew about. Dawkins took Stanford to a sweet sixteen the year before getting fired. Frost was the OC at Oregon and was a name that got brought up a lot as an up and comer and in line to get a HC job soon. Same thing with Huepel. Leipold had 5 15-0 seasons in his final 6 years before being hired by White.
Thing is, Danny made his name on having a good eye for coaching talent because a lot of the celebrated hires he made were first time HCs who went on to great success. And yes, none of them were exactly flying under the radar, but props to him for identifying those future successes.

But this hire is different. Boyd has stated that UT is not a proving ground, and all info to date has been consistent that they’re looking for an experienced HC with a winning resume (and no ugly baggage). So this is not the same kind of hire Danny’s built a reputation on succeeding at.

In this case the candidate pool is finite and very limited. He can say that in the past his hires have not been on the public lists but this time, realistically, there are only a relative handful of legit big time candidates. And for most of them, for every VNer that says they’re a home run, I can point to two more who say they suck. It is what it is.

Honestly, Danny seems very bright and capable, and I truly expect he’ll make the right hire possible. And a lot of us will bitch about it. But there’s no question he’s in uncharted territory, making a splash hire for a big name school.

Reactions: Dudley Smith
I finally got around to catching up on the new Athletic Director and started doing a bit more research on possible coaching candidates. I like White. I read some articles on his career and on him as a person and listened to his press conference. He’s got a big job and is walking into a mess with regards to the football program but I think he has the right attitude and vision.

Matt Campbell is the only coach outside of those with SEC head coaching experience that I’ve looked at in any kind of depth so far. I think he might have a good shot at getting us back on track. It may take some time but I think he operates with the right culture from what I can find. While at ISU his teams have consistently ranked around #56 in the 247 team talent composite but he’s taken those guys and beat more talented teams including OU a couple times, a ranked TCU team, a ranked Texas team, and a ranked OSU team among others. In a way he reminds me of White. Their approach to a challenge appears to be honest hard work and accountability.

Obviously we all know our history with Kiffin and while I think he’s likely matured somewhat since those days I think Campbell might be the better pick between the two. I think the same goes with Freeze. All three I think are potential winners as coaches. I'm a big fan of Kiffin but I've always thought he had been spoiled a bit when he was younger. I don't know if that can ever totally go away but obviously he has been humbled a bit since he was here.

Dooley, Butch, and Pruitt, in retrospect should have never been considered candidates for the job here. I’m basing that on their prior resumes. I don’t think we should hire a Scott Frost because there’s a big leap from G5 to P5 in my opinion and I don’t think we should hire another coordinator.

I think recruiting rankings or team talent composites are defined by the team/school moreso than the coach. Regardless of who our coach is we’re going to recruit pretty well. We may not be consistently in the top 5 but top 15 is easily doable. I suspect if you gave Campbell a top 15 talented team he would have a good shot at doing even better than he did with a top 60 talented team. So far in looking at possible candidates he seems to me at this point to be the most proven at the P5 level. jmo.

Here's a list of 5. I think all of these guys are realistic. Maybe a couple of splash hires here but the up and comers may be better fits. Circumstance, history, personality and money are all in the mix. Fan perception is a big deal. The fan base rose up with the Schiano hire. Plowman and White may not want to see this with one of their hires that doesn't fit, but the fans know what they will accept. As we've seen fan acceptance doesn't guarantee success.

In no particular order:

Frost
Campbell
Kiffin
Napier
Chadwell

I say let's ride with any one of these coaches. Nothing less than the Decade of the Vols is at stake.

Edit: The timing is bad for Kiffin. I'd call him high risk/high reward.

Last edited:
I finally got around to catching up on the new Athletic Director and started doing a bit more research on possible coaching candidates. I like White. I read some articles on his career and on him as a person and listened to his press conference. He’s got a big job and is walking into a mess with regards to the football program but I think he has the right attitude and vision.

Matt Campbell is the only coach outside of those with SEC head coaching experience that I’ve looked at in any kind of depth so far. I think he might have a good shot at getting us back on track. It may take some time but I think he operates with the right culture from what I can find. While at ISU his teams have consistently ranked around #56 in the 247 team talent composite but he’s taken those guys and beat more talented teams including OU a couple times, a ranked TCU team, a ranked Texas team, and a ranked OSU team among others. In a way he reminds me of White. Their approach to a challenge appears to be honest hard work and accountability.

Obviously we all know our history with Kiffin and while I think he’s likely matured somewhat since those days I think Campbell might be the better pick between the two. I think the same goes with Freeze. All three I think are potential winners as coaches. I'm a big fan of Kiffin but I've always thought he had been spoiled a bit when he was younger. I don't know if that can ever totally go away but obviously he has been humbled a bit since he was here.

Dooley, Butch, and Pruitt, in retrospect should have never been considered candidates for the job here. I’m basing that on their prior resumes. I don’t think we should hire a Scott Frost because there’s a big leap from G5 to P5 in my opinion and I don’t think we should hire another coordinator.

I think recruiting rankings or team talent composites are defined by the team/school moreso than the coach. Regardless of who our coach is we’re going to recruit pretty well. We may not be consistently in the top 5 but top 15 is easily doable. I suspect if you gave Campbell a top 15 talented team he would have a good shot at doing even better than he did with a top 60 talented team. So far in looking at possible candidates he seems to me at this point to be the most proven at the P5 level. jmo.

I have a nagging suspicion that motivating top 60 talent requires a different skill set than motivating top 15 talent.

Reactions: NM4VOLS

No spreadsheet ...I am disappoint.

Ok, I'll take a stab at it. Lets see now, moon, cow jumped over. Texas has lots of cows, so are any of our prospective coaches from Texas? If so, there's our man. :D
Or AV was close to the female trainer Peyton Manning mooned all those years ago and he has forgiven him.

It's Peyton .

Last edited:
CLUES...

Donde:
We're trying to go big and make a big change.
About White...he's a builder. Coach...looking for a builder to build the program.
We want to win championships.
TN is not a place to learn on the job.
I want us to be a destination school.
(Too tired to remember if DW said anything different.)

AV:
Over the moon
Hire a current head coach
Happen quickly and best is yet to come
Agree 100000000% with Metal "Go get who you want make them say no. Quit screwing around with projects and coordinators."
Trust me change is coming and it will be good.
FU money coming to the table.

Stoerner:
Single candidate that's the focus. He's interested and has a relationship with White.
Top target (thinks Campbell) & 5 candidates including Herman, Frost, Lane.
Happen fast. 90% we have our guy.
Very nice recap...ty!
1611399970414.gif

This particular guy didn’t get a national recognition as a top 5 AD for just coach speak. I and a plethora of others still take people at their word, even in today’s wacky world. I‘m going to believe what he and Donde said about what they are looking for in a HC. I don‘t think this decision will have anything to do with “Scorned“ fans but his history suggests that he doesn’t fit the criteria they laid out today yesterday.
Neither does freeze.... Id be surprised at kiffin at this point, completely shocked at freeze.

Great post. Agree with all of it. That's rare lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back