Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Dykes would be a bad hire, but again, your thought process is flawed.

We paid Jeremy Pruitt less than $4M on his initial base salary. I'd bet we're going to pay around $5M for the next coach.
Sonny dykes is someone I’ve literally never heard of before. Randy Boyd said this wasnt going to be an experiment head coach. All 3 of those coaches would be an experiment.

Reactions: 5FingerVolPunch
Yes---- look, I know the hesitation with Freeze and Kiffin.... but seriously--- these guys have proven coaching records and have both been successful navigating the SEC, they know it, breath it, and flourish in it. The main thing with me on these two are the fact that they aren't scared to be innovative and creative (would let staff do their jobs and not micromanage) and most importantly in this conference--- THEY CAN RECRUIT LIKE STUDS.

I’m coming around on kiffin mainly Bc i know how bad he wants to be here. I think that matters.

We just paid 2 million for the arguably the best AD in the country, and are openly saying we’ve got FU money to spend.

I trust them to not hire a mcgoogle. Patience is key.

That's Coach McGoogle to you.

Also, I would be hesitant to put my trust in such a dysfunctional AD.

Yes---- look, I know the hesitation with Freeze and Kiffin.... but seriously--- these guys have proven coaching records and have both been successful navigating the SEC, they know it, breath it, and flourish in it. The main thing with me on these two are the fact that they aren't scared to be innovative and creative (would let staff do their jobs and not micromanage) and most importantly in this conference--- THEY CAN RECRUIT LIKE STUDS.
I’m pretty confident it’s not freeze unfortunately. I know people close to him and said it doesn’t look like it’ll happen. Not from freeze saying no, that the new AD isn’t going to go after him is the way I took it.

One thing about Leipold, don’t think he was in the mix at UCF when Frost left so doubt DW would consider him for UT.
White shot pretty high for both football hires at UCF. UCF is a G5 school that was coming off an 0-12 season, and he went out and got Scott Frost who was a pretty highly thought of OC at Oregon at the time, of course in addition to being a highly recognizable name already from his playing days.

Once Frost left he got Heupel, who while not as big a name as Frost was an SEC offensive coordinator at the time and had notability of his own from his playing days.

IMO, shooting high at a place like UT would seem to involve trying to get a coach with some P5 success.

Reactions: 5FingerVolPunch
Hyams, Hubbs, etc have no clue right now and are completely without a good source on this search. These names they're putting out are based on guys White has interviewed or hired before and/or general pessimism towards bigger names because of the NCAA issues. They're forgetting that White isn't trying to hire someone to Buffalo or UCF and he's got a Brinks truck to offer now.

I don't believe they are going to hire Dykes. Like some have said, it's likely all the local writers are trying to connect relationships and produce candidates.

But, Danny White has a proven record of hiring winning coaches, so we'll need to get behind whomever he hires and hopefully he'll be another great hire.

I really hope the media guys literally know nothing.... Because these potential coaching hires are ass poop piss. I have a fear that we made a splash AD hire but still aren't willing to do whatever it takes to hire a coach that will win here. God I hope I'm wrong. I just know it's gonna be a coordinator or some unknown, or some project coach

Reactions: UTwild82
Let me say this, tho I’d rather go with someone other than Elliot, I trust White. He has proven his ability to hire good coaches. If he sees that in Elliot, I’ll trust him until he gives me reason not to

I’m absolutely not at all against Elliott having the HCIW/OC in the event X leaves. I think he’ll be well worth the investment and money.

Reactions: Deebowbear
I’ve done my best to be the non-ambiguous guy. I’m about to shift a bit. Yesterday all the existing staff were reminded that the have NDA’s and that a coaching search is proprietary information. I’m sure this comes from the fact that the athletic department is gutted and there are no channels for discussing things with press. The last few pieces of news have made it to this board before they’ve gone to selected news outlets. The national sources that the university prefers are Feldman at CBS, and Lowe at ESPN. They’d like the news to go there first for maximum effect. Yesterday both were scooped by journalists reading the board. I have interrogated my friend three times today, and am stuck with a handful of magic beans. I don’t know enough to be of use. I think that will change as we get closer. So, I can share a few things I know, and one semi-cryptic answer that I think is helpful, but probably non-satisfactory. White arrives today. Will meet players. Will do press conference. Will talk to Steele. Will fly to meet a candidate, supposedly in a neutral location. I get the feeling we have a coach already from what I’ve heard. While UT could not walk the line of waiting for investigation results and officially looking for a coach, unofficially, they’ve been looking for awhile. In fact (here’s the cryptic part) My friend says White was recommended by our future coach. My friend was willing to share that we pursued five candidates, but not willing to share who. The five are impressive according to him. One is perceived as the top of the pyramid, and is probably the source of the big number discussed. I read that to be Campbell, but that’s a guess. I know, and previously stated that Frost has a relationship with the chancellor and spoke to her. I have no information that he’s the coach. Given Nebraska is his alma mater, that doesn’t make sense, but I have no information to rule it out. I mentioned that board buzz says we’ll hire a seated coach, past chancellor commentary would rule out Kiffin and Freeze, and that it would have to be someone experienced. He said there’s one candidate that is down the list that would be a “bend” of that criteria. Maybe that’s Kiffin. In the past I’ve asked the chance of Freeze, and he said “zero”. I know that the plan has contingencies down far below the chosen five. We will not be embarrassed by public rejection, a long search, or dumb moves. This is going to be tight and fast. My friend rated the odds at 90% that we currently have our guy, and it will be official by next week. On a slightly sad note, Tee and Jay have missed several job opportunities to hold the team together. They’ve received very little communication or support on what happens next. The two of them have been rock solid through this whole mess. Yesterday they saved two players from the portal based on rallying them around the White news. I’m sorry I’m pushing soft journalism today. I’ve tried to give good data before. I just don’t have the goods today. I’m not even confident that my conclusions are right from my guessing game this morning. Like I said, I think some things will loosen up, and I’ll hear more. One final note: My friend said the White family is like the Kennedy family of the NCAA. They’re royalty. Kevin White is one of the most respected names in a mature athletics. He was a hero at Notre Dame and Duke and served on the Olympics board. The integrity of that name will be very important. That’s very good news.

Latest SF post. seems alot of hush hush now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back