Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I spent tonight watching this entire game, which funnily enough they even mention how Chadwell grew up a Vols fan, took his first date to the 1992 Alabama game, and Im all aboard the Chadwell train. He is the most realistic option and this offense is genuinely fun to watch. If you cant sleep like me, give CC's offensive snaps a watch. Remember, Pruitt lost to this BYU team.

Chadwell's coaching icon was Johnny Majors. Bring him home.

Last edited:
I'll start out by saying this will never happen, because I know many of you are going to point out it would never happen. I get it. But IMO, an ideal situation for UT would be getting Bob Stoops to come out of retirement to be a CEO type HC. Hire Jamey Chadwell to be his OC/HC-in-waiting. Think of it as on the job training. I know people are going to say he wouldn't go from being a HC to an OC, but if it's with the understanding he's being prepped to be the guy at UT, why not?? You have Steele for the defense, and you fill out the rest of the staff, and then we can begin to recover.

Again, I know it would never happen, but I think it would be an ideal situation for all involved.

4YI4w4shRMfp6.gif

I blame them all. No excuses for any of them. Protect the program. That should be the priority. And truthfully, I probably do blame Pruitt and especially Fulmer more, but that's because protecting the program should have been their number 1 priority. The chancellor and the university president have a lot more to juggle. That doesn't excuse their ineptitude in how this was handled, but man, especially Fulmer, who's supposed to be like the ultimate VFL, he totally jeopardized everything by remaining faithful to Pruitt over the well-being of the program. I just don't understand that choice. He played here. He coached here. Second only to the General when it comes to coaching at UT. Honestly, it feels like a total betrayal. Guess now I know how Johnny felt.
Seems he loved controlling the program more than the program. I am highly disappointed in him. He should have retired and fired Pruitt. If only we would have had one leader that could have brought them all together for the good of the program.

Herman couldn’t win even when he had the best talent on the field. How’s that gonna work out here??

Herman has more top 10 wins in 6yrs as a HC than TN does in the last 12yrs. But that isn't winning? He took over a program that was 16-21 the 3yrs prior and went 32-18 with a Big12 title game appearance. He beat no. 6 UGA in the sugar bowl, cfp bound no.3 Oklahoma with Baker Mayfield, top 10 Florida state, top 10 Louisville with Heisman trophy winner Lamar Jackson, top 10 Oklahoma state, etc, etc. His worst lost in 4hrs was 20pts to a top 20 Maryland team in his first game at Texas. His 3 losses this year were a combine 12pts. 4-0 in bowl games.

We haven't sniffed that kind of "losing" in over a decade. If he came here and was "losing" like that I'd take it compared to the 5-7 garbage we have been seeing.

Herman has more top 10 wins in 6yrs as a HC than TN does in the last 12yrs. But that isn't winning? He took over a program that was 16-21 the 3yrs prior and went 32-18 with a Big12 title game appearance. He beat no. 6 UGA in the sugar bowl, cfp bound no.3 Oklahoma with Baker Mayfield, top 10 Florida state, top 10 Louisville with Heisman trophy winner Lamar Jackson, top 10 Oklahoma state, etc, etc. His worst lost in 4hrs was 20pts to a top 20 Maryland team in his first game at Texas. His 3 losses this year were a combine 12pts. 4-0 in bowl games.

We haven't sniffed that kind of "losing" in over a decade. If he came here and was "losing" like that I'd take it compared to the 5-7 garbage we have been seeing.

Look at the amount of blue chippers he had compared to the teams he was playing. It wasn’t even close.

You ever watch them play, or do you just look at the stats? He’s not there anymore for a reason. Sure it’s better than what we’ve had, but he isn’t the answer if you ever wanna feel like its ‘98.

He would fail miserably in the situation we’re in with no talent, and we’d be looking again in 3 years.

Reactions: Jimmy Football
Yes, but people keep implying that he can't be hired now after this because of the statements made in the press conference.

Kiffin has had zero ncaa sanctions formally brought against him. He navigated USC through sanctions and actually won a conference title while there though they weren't allowed to claim it due to sanctions. Personally think he would be a great hire but hard to mend those bridges. What's intriguing is he has apparently maintained a good relationship with Jimmy Haslam and we know they have the loudest voice in the room.

Kiffin has had zero ncaa sanctions formally brought against him. He navigated USC through sanctions and actually won a conference title while there though they weren't allowed to claim it due to sanctions. Personally think he would be a great hire but hard to mend those bridges. What's intriguing is he has apparently maintained a good relationship with Jimmy Haslam and we know they have the loudest voice in the room.

Agree 100% on this. It will be interesting to see how this plays out. Eventually things have to go our way, right?

Reactions: Birdie
Look at the amount of blue chippers he had compared to the teams he was playing. It wasn’t even close.

You ever watch them play, or do you just look at the stats? He’s not there anymore for a reason. Sure it’s better than what we’ve had, but he isn’t the answer if you ever wanna feel like its ‘98.

He would fail miserably in the situation we’re in with no talent, and we’d be looking again in 3 years.

He took over a 16-21 program but he was loaded?

You must not have watched Texas play or you would have seen him beat no.6 UGA in the Sugar Bowl or no.3 Oklahoma with Baker Mayfield among other top 5 and 10 victories. When was the last time TN fielded a team that was legitimately competitive with, much less beat a playoff team like Oklahoma or SECe champ team like Georgia?

He also beat Oklahoma with Houston, he knows how to beat more talented teams.

Here's a fun stat, he consistently fields top 10 offenses everywhere he goes. When is the last time we had a consistnetly potentent offense?

We all want 98. However, we can't afford to swing for the fence and hit another pop fly like Doofus, the carnie barker, or the great Pruitt. Herman gets us 8-9 wins a year minimum. Do that then we can figure out how to get to 10-12. He's still a young coach too. Plenty of time in his career for professional growth. We need stability.

So I spent tonight watching this entire game, which funnily enough they even mention how Chadwell grew up a Vols fan, took his first date to the 1992 Alabama game, and Im all aboard the Chadwell train. He is the most realistic option and this offense is genuinely fun to watch. If you cant sleep like me, give CC's offensive snaps a watch. Remember, Pruitt lost to this BYU team.

Lost to a worse version of this team.

Reactions: SweetasSoda

W

Wow....fun, creative offense.... disciplined players.... players work hard every play.... enjoy being the underdog..... coach gets the most out of every player.... Think he could help us out of this mess. I could cheer for him without having to talk myself into it. So glad South Carolina did not get him.

Last edited:
He took over a 16-21 program but he was loaded?

You must not have watched Texas play or you would have seen him beat no.6 UGA in the Sugar Bowl or no.3 Oklahoma with Baker Mayfield among other top 5 and 10 victories. When was the last time TN fielded a team that was legitimately competitive with, much less beat a playoff team like Oklahoma or SECe champ team like Georgia?

He also beat Oklahoma with Houston, he knows how to beat more talented teams.

Here's a fun stat, he consistently fields top 10 offenses everywhere he goes. When is the last time we had a consistnetly potentent offense?

We all want 98. However, we can't afford to swing for the fence and hit another pop fly like Doofus, the carnie barker, or the great Pruitt. Herman gets us 8-9 wins a year minimum. Do that then we can figure out how to get to 10-12. He's still a young coach too. Plenty of time in his career for professional growth. We need stability.

Been watching them since Charlie Strong, and yes, they still had a lot of talent. Recruiting has never been the issue at Texas, it’s coaching and development.

Herman’s not a bad coach, we know what that looks like here, but he’s fools gold if you think you’ll win a championship.

If we end up hiring him and we win the SEC, I’ll gladly eat crow. I was just sick of seeing him do less with more down in Austin.

Been watching them since Charlie Strong, and yes, they still had a lot of talent. Recruiting has never been the issue at Texas, it’s coaching and development.

Herman’s not a bad coach, we know what that looks like here, but he’s fools gold if you think you’ll win a championship.

If we end up hiring him and we win the SEC, I’ll gladly eat crow. I was just sick of seeing him do less with more down in Austin.

Well, his less with more was losing 3 games by a combined 12pts this year. Oklahoma, Iowa State (right now), and TCU are respectable programs.

I'd take that in a heartbeat. If option A is a toss-up that a guy will become the next great HC or be another 5-7 guy, and option B is a guy who wins 8-10 games a year then I take option B in the current circumstances we find ourselves in. We have a losing sec record since canning Fulmer. TN today is not the tier 1 SEC program we used to be. We can be, and that is absolutely our goal. But we need to become respectable again. Build stability around a competent coach.

Reactions: SweetasSoda
Someone tell why Kiffin isn't happening. Keep seeing it. Something to do with the NCAA or just some boosters not willing?
Kiffin is likely using his "interest" in the "dream job" at UT to "Gundy" Ole Miss into giving him more money.

Kiffin, likely like Hugh Freeze, doesn't ACTUALLY want to step into the chaos at UT but threatening a move is a good negotiating lever. Kiffin is in a far better situation to turn Ole Miss into a winning program than UT.

Kiffin is likely using his "interest" in the "dream job" at UT to "Gundy" Ole Miss into giving him more money.

Kiffin, likely like Hugh Freeze, doesn't ACTUALLY want to step into the chaos at UT but threatening a move is a good negotiating lever. Kiffin is in a far better situation to turn Ole Miss into a winning program than UT.

I believe there is already a contract with a large pay raise sitting on Kiffin's desk unsigned. Monte has publicly stated they regret leaving TN. Kiffin has told Chris Low and others he regrets leaving TN. I don't think it is unrealistic that he would want this job. TN is still a better job than Ole Miss.

Well, his less with more was losing 3 games by a combined 12pts this year. Oklahoma, Iowa State (right now), and TCU are respectable programs.

I'd take that in a heartbeat. If option A is a guy who will be the next great HC or another 5-7 guy, and option B is a guy who wins 8-10 games a year then I take option B in the current circumstances we find ourselves in. We have a losing sec record since canning Fulmer. TN today is not the tier 1 SEC program we used to be. We can be, and that is absolutely our goal. But we need to become respectable again. Build stability around a competent coach.

I must say, you’re making a strong argument, Mrs. Herman.

I don’t know enough about what went on at Texas to judge why they fired him, but hey they fired Rick Barnes too. And, by the way, Lane Kiffin’s been fired from a few jobs too — come to think of it, the only one he ever left voluntarily was, uhh, yeah... well, and FAU.

I'd take that in a heartbeat. If option A is a toss-up that a guy will become the next great HC or be another 5-7 guy, and option B is a guy who wins 8-10 games a year then I take option B in the current circumstances we find ourselves in. We have a losing sec record since canning Fulmer. TN today is not the tier 1 SEC program we used to be. We can be, and that is absolutely our goal. But we need to become respectable again. Build stability around a competent coach.

Respectable programs there yes, but honestly the only competition in that conference should’ve been Oklahoma. Texas has multiple players drafted every year, and we’re lucky to have a couple. Plus Herman was ice cold in the 4th quarter, 1-11 if he entered that quarter without a lead. Plus more losses to unranked teams than any other program in the past 4 years.

He should of won the Big 12 this year, it was a down year for that conference, but again he underachieved. The higher ups were fed up with his off the field antics without any championships to show for it, so that’s why he was rightfully shown the door.

Maybe he will learn from his mistakes, like you said he’s young, but I’m not ready to embrace him given the shape we’re in right now. I doubt he could sniff 8-9 wins with our talent in this conference.

Reactions: Dudley Smith
Just trying to find why his reputation would be considered bad to the NCAA if we are wanting to appear as though we are cleaning up the program. Keeps being insinuated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back