Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not really. Already on staff as an analyst. Promoting him to an on-the-field coach gives him leeway to talk with the players and convince them to stay. If the next coach doesn't like the move, maybe he moves back to analyst. He's trying to help his alma mater not fall apart. That makes sense to me.

Only if his contract is flexible Without a buyout

Napier and Steele have coached together. It's probably going to take big money to get Napier to come in and clean this mess. I could him being the guy, the search firm doing the due diligence, and in the meantime getting the start of staff moves on the defensive side of the ball in place.

Yeah, was just looking into candidates who had worked with Steele. Seems that Napier could be a possibility.

I guess but Simon has been there for a while and if steele wants to bring him under his wing I’m cool with it. If any hires are made on the offensive side of the ball, then I’ll think it’s steele

Agreed

Maybe the next coach has approved of Steele having this power
if not this isn’t good

Danny White could be getting a look at AD. That’s another stud imo

???

90797.jpg

Reactions: franklinpence
Some of y’all will think it’s Steele until we get another AV drive by and then y’all will think we are landing a big fish. It’s the VN way. Some of people on here love to make themselves miserable lol.
Nope. Go read AV’s posts from 2017 before Schiano and get back to me

Reactions: Catbone
I am not saying we're hiring Steele, I'm not at all.

But the same people who I talked to who told me we were firing Pruitt - something I never wavered on - are saying Steele is a very realistic outcome.

Regardless, it is very weird that we're allowing him to hire defensive coaches. Yes, Steele is a great defensive coordinator. Yes, Rodney Garner is a great defensive line coach. Sure, Kevin Simon is a VFL and qualified enough to coach linebackers here. All those things are true.

But, simply put, you have to allow your head coach to make these decisions. So maybe we do have someone lined up? Chadwell makes some sense - or a coach with Vol ties we've not thought about yet. But the fact you are hiring assistants for him before he gets here 1) means he's not putting his name on these hires and 2) sends a signal you already don't trust him enough to make his own staff decisions.

I'm still in agreement with two contradictory thoughts:

1) We haven't taken the steps we've taken to hire Kevin Steele as HC.

2) If Kevin Steele were the HC, I think he'd bring in a great coaching staff and let them do their jobs.

Well, do you know that to be true?

He was also involved with the XFL as a GM/HC so that occupied him I’m sure. That didn’t end until April, so this is the first round of searches where he was completely available.
He’s been available since he left OU....where OU people were beyond ready to see him go.

I’m not saying he’s Dooley or Pruitt. He was a very good coach at one point in time. He would be a good hire but i believe he is miles away from urban Meyer who is a comparable example. If we’re ponying up 8-10 mil... i want to go steal someone’s coach that is winning now.

Whoever the new coach is will be happy to have steele and Garner on staff. They’re proven, veteran coaches. If the new guy doesn’t want them, then we’ve made a bad hire

Sooo basically the fill in coach is the shot caller for the “New” HC?😅 doesn’t work that way.Steele will be HC

Only if his contract is flexible Without a buyout
I don't know that it is, but do you know that it isn't? Is it really so unrealistic that a former player already employed at the university would do them a solid and try to keep the team from completely imploding? I certainly don't think so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back