Men #6 in AP poll, Coaches poll

goldvol

VolNation's Lesser Poobah
Tennessee Basketball has moved back up to #6 in the country in the AP and Coaches polls. NET ranking is at #4. This is to closer to where I think we actually are. Yeah, I know there is room for improvement, and it's not a perfect team. Just felt like as a school we needed a bit of a boost in the news cycle today.
We have the talent, depth, athleticism, and size to really compete with anyone in the country on the right day.

Also, just want to unofficially declare with the football news today, Tennessee is a basketball school. We have been since Bruce Pearl, and will be for at least the next 5 years. Yes, the Lady Vols and Summitt are amazing, but in those days, football still ruled. Yes, I also know that even in the last 10 - 15 years, the football program is the money maker.

Last note, this is the first top 25 poll in the last 60 years that doesn't include Duke, UNC, or Kentucky in the Top 25. I am not losing any sleep watching Calipari and Kentucky struggling.

NCAA Men’s College Basketball Coaches Poll | USA Today Sports
AP Top 25 Poll
DI Men's Basketball Rankings - NCAA Men's Basketball NET Rankings | NCAA.com
https://www.thestate.com/sports/college/acc/article248583815.html

At least we have a basketball coach who does a lot more with a lot less. Proud of that staff and the players. Not to diminish the players. But Barnes get so much of out guys who aren't blue chip guys....

Reactions: 1985Vols
Probably a little over ranked at this point, however, I do think when we are hitting shots we can play with any team in the country except maybe Gonzaga right now. Problem is, we have too many 4-5 minute droughts offensively.. I do think we’ll continue to improve as Springer and Keon take over offensively

It's time to put Drake in the top 25. 13-0 and not just beating teams but destroying them. Beat a good Southern Illinois team twice this weekend. The games weren't even close.

It's time to put Drake in the top 25. 13-0 and not just beating teams but destroying them. Beat a good Southern Illinois team twice this weekend. The games weren't even close.
From what I can tell they don’t have a single Top 100 win, 13-0 is impressive but there’s a reason most analytics have them the in ~50 range.

I would like to see Cuonzo Martin put together a great season. His coaching at Tennessee was a bit underwhelming, but I always liked him.
Nothing against CCM, but as a public figure he comes across as dull and bland. Unless one knows him on a personal level it’s hard to envision why someone would take a liking to him from afar?

The good part is that we are still inexperienced. In another 3-4 weeks it will all kick in. Would be exciting to see a starting lineup with solid experience:

1. JJJ (smaller version of Magic Johnson)
2. Springer
3. Johnson
4. Pons
5. Fulky

When all are clicking (starting mid-Feb), they will be exciting to watch. Hopefully Barnes can get the tournament monkey off his back (can't win the big tourney games)

I would like to see Cuonzo Martin put together a great season. His coaching at Tennessee was a bit underwhelming, but I always liked him.
I think he has to have superior talent for success. He seemed to coach the d and ignore the offense. I think this is likely the best team he has ever had - nothing great here or at Cal - and I think they will be down next year because he plays a lot of seniors
and one that might jump to the NBA. We will see if he can sustain any momentum after this year.

If we lose 3 or 4 -- we might also struggle after this season.

At least we have a basketball coach who does a lot more with a lot less. Proud of that staff and the players. Not to diminish the players. But Barnes get so much of out guys who aren't blue chip guys....
I agree with you to an extent but if were gonna take the next step (elite 8 or final 4) its going to be because of Keon and Springer.

Reactions: PEPPERJAX
A few. He’s had his share of busts. He has 3 five stars on the floor right now. Credit to him for recruiting them. I’ve been disappointed in what he’s gotten out of several players. Gaines, ON, Uros, Kent among others.

A few. He’s had his share of busts. He has 3 five stars on the floor right now. Credit to him for recruiting them. I’ve been disappointed in what he’s gotten out of several players. Gaines, ON, Uros, Kent among others.
All of which are still young and weren’t highly rated or recruited.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
From what I can tell they don’t have a single Top 100 win, 13-0 is impressive but there’s a reason most analytics have them the in ~50 range.
Yeah, I'm sure they are not going up against murderers row but Southern Illinois came in 7-1 and aint no slouch. They will be a scary first round opponent for some 5 seed

Nothing against CCM, but as a public figure he comes across as dull and bland. Unless one knows him on a personal level it’s hard to envision why someone would take a liking to him from afar?

He was a bit dull, but I liked his personality. I enjoyed Pearl's tenure, but I can also appreciate a solid, steady presence as coach.

Reactions: goldvol

VN Store

Back