2022 Recruits

I think she is the best player Kellie has signed or gotten a commitment from, and I will be eager to see her suit up for us.

But I noticed from those videos she is pushing her 3-ball from her chest and has a low release. That is not ideal form. You see it more in the women's game, but it makes it a lot easier for an opponent to block the shot.
That is actually a slight misconception about shooting form. Shooting mechanics have progressed a lot recently. From the top (NBA) and working its way down they are teaching how important it is to unlock your lead shoulder with a slight turn and make a fluid motion with your arm from belt to eyebrow with no pause (don't shelf the ball). It's the same form Steph Curry uses and it doesn't result in him getting his jumpers blocked. It is even more ideal mechanics for girls because they need all the power they can get to extend their shooting range out beyond 3pt line.

However Justine is shooting the ball, is just fine....No changes need to be made...If her technique bothers you, don't look...Just listen for the cracking sound of the ball ripping the net...
giphy.gif

Coach, I don't tweet so I can't vote....But, I hope she wins.

Have you had anymore contact with Karoline, or Sara? These two gals, and Miles and Wynn, will change the face of the Lady Vols into basketball terrors...

And then, the following season....The mother of all female basketball 3 point shooters arrives.....Justine will be on the scene....The league will marvel at her shots!!!!

And then next comes the little Hawk....She will be the ultimate ball hawk....

What a wonderful ride we are in for....

Edit...I found voting post on other thread....I voted.

Last edited:
Coach, I don't tweet so I can't vote....But, I hope she wins.

Have you had anymore contact with Karoline, or Sara? These two gals, and Miles and Wynn, will change the face of the Lady Vols into basketball terrors...

And then, the following season....The mother of all female basketball 3 point shooters arrives.....Justine will be on the scene....The league will marvel at her shots!!!!

And then next comes the little Hawk....She will be the ultimate ball hawk....

What a wonderful ride we are in for....

Edit...I found voting post on other thread....I voted.

not them specifically, but I have a contact for each,,,except Miles.

Karoine and Kaiya are tearing it up...

Sara's team is seemingly little more dependent on her being an everything player (this is MY opinion not my/her contacts) so her numbers aren't as gaudy,, but I'm not worried in the least about her being on par with the other two. I know that girl can play...

I lost contact with Miles and my contact with her was AAU related so I have no inside on her

However Justine is shooting the ball, is just fine....No changes need to be made...If her technique bothers you, don't look...Just listen for the cracking sound of the ball ripping the net...
giphy.gif

“If her technique bothers you, don’t look.” That made me laugh out loud! Your enthusiasm for our signees/recruits is unmatched, and I love it! 🤣🤣🤣

giphy.gif
I would't change a thing about her shot except maybe her layups. She seems to slow down before she shoots her layups. However, if she is now 6-5 I don't worry to much about that.

I would't change a thing about her shot except maybe her layups. She seems to slow down before she shoots her layups. However, if she is now 6-5 I don't worry to much about that.
Exactly what i thought when i watched the film. If that is the only hicup then we can all rejoice! Damn my old eyes still see some things!

Cooooooorect!

Do you teach your players to have a low release?

I know Barnes emphasizes the opposite very heavily. And he is not afraid to change a player's shot to get them to have superior technique. I know that is something coaches differ on. Some don't want to tinker with mechanics, and others are always fine tuning.

That is actually a slight misconception about shooting form. Shooting mechanics have progressed a lot recently. From the top (NBA) and working its way down they are teaching how important it is to unlock your lead shoulder with a slight turn and make a fluid motion with your arm from belt to eyebrow with no pause (don't shelf the ball). It's the same form Steph Curry uses and it doesn't result in him getting his jumpers blocked. It is even more ideal mechanics for girls because they need all the power they can get to extend their shooting range out beyond 3pt line.

None of that addresses her low release point at all.

Girls often develop faulty mechanics when they are younger and weaker which they carry over to when they are bigger and capable of making a shot with better technique. And yeah, you can have a lot of success with a less than optimal release point --- as long as no one is guarding you. Then it becomes a lot harder. That is why players work on getting shots off quickly and with proper form that makes it harder to block.

And to be fair, there is only a little film on her so we don't really know how her shot looks most of the time or what she is doing to work on it. Everyone is a work in progress.

None of that addresses her low release point at all.

Girls often develop faulty mechanics when they are younger and weaker which they carry over to when they are bigger and capable of making a shot with better technique. And yeah, you can have a lot of success with a less than optimal release point --- as long as no one is guarding you. Then it becomes a lot harder. That is why players work on getting shots off quickly and with proper form that makes it harder to block.

And to be fair, there is only a little film on her so we don't really know how her shot looks most of the time or what she is doing to work on it. Everyone is a work in progress.
Depends on what you are referring to as release point. Her release point (where the ball leaves her hand) should be at her right eyebrow. Where the ball starts as she begins the rhythm of her shot can be lower than what has typically been taught. If she catches a pass at about chest level it is ok to take the ball down to just about the waist area to begin the flow of the shot. I didn't watch much of the video so I am not sure which of those two things you are addressing. If it is where the ball leaves her hand then yes it shouldn't leave her hand before her index finger reaches her eyebrow.

When Justine is popping those 25 footers, all I'll see is the heads of her opponents going "back and to the left" as the ball rips through the net for three more....

Can't wait for Justine to be on the scene...
iT3twy33w_uXp-VLCQY9Vh4x_KdckWa2yK8TtqpHWM4.gif

Do you teach your players to have a low release?

I know Barnes emphasizes the opposite very heavily. And he is not afraid to change a player's shot to get them to have superior technique. I know that is something coaches differ on. Some don't want to tinker with mechanics, and others are always fine tuning.
Absolutely not. I teach my players to get the absolute highest reach possible when they releasing the ball. I want them to be at least as high enough to touch bottom of the backboard. I also teach to land in a box out and Never Land going forward as that is where injuries happen. I also break down each phase of a layup process . For instance I teach that when to plant foot goes down the vision goes up, when to plant foot goes down the ball should be at the beginning of the cradling process picking the ball up. I teach many aspects of the cycle of the layup. I break it down so the each phase has emphasized mechanics. I also detest seeing girls pick the ball up at the belly with two hands and getting blocked by someone half their size when they should be picking the ball up with one hand and fending off with the other

Watched an entire game that Justine played in seven months ago. She is going to be a superior offensive player in college. I think she also plays well enough on defense that a college coach can make her into a top defensive player. Like all high school players or at least most she does a lot of standing and watching the action and did not attempt many times to go to the boards after a miss. Her intention was more to head down court when a shot was attempted which evidently her coach doesn't mind her doing because she was doing it on almost every opponent shot attempt and leaving the rebounding to other teammates. With the game at 41 to 40 her teams favor she got fouled and sadly missed both free throws but it didn't matter as they still won the game. I think her best shot is like the 30 plus footer she is deadly on those. Even though she missed those two free throws she is an 80 percent shooter from the line. I think she has grown a couple inches since this game was played going to come into college something like 6'4" or taller. She moves very well for her size is going to be a tough matchup for any opposing coach.

Watched an entire game that Justine played in seven months ago. She is going to be a superior offensive player in college. I think she also plays well enough on defense that a college coach can make her into a top defensive player. Like all high school players or at least most she does a lot of standing and watching the action and did not attempt many times to go to the boards after a miss. Her intention was more to head down court when a shot was attempted which evidently her coach doesn't mind her doing because she was doing it on almost every opponent shot attempt and leaving the rebounding to other teammates. With the game at 41 to 40 her teams favor she got fouled and sadly missed both free throws but it didn't matter as they still won the game. I think her best shot is like the 30 plus footer she is deadly on those. Even though she missed those two free throws she is an 80 percent shooter from the line. I think she has grown a couple inches since this game was played going to come into college something like 6'4" or taller. She moves very well for her size is going to be a tough matchup for any opposing coach.

where’d you see this game? this is exciting 🤩

Watched it on Youtube back when she committed. I don't know if it is still on there or not was an entire game not highlights. Final score was 41 to 40. Think Justine had something like 15 of her teams 41.

Oh gotcha... I wonder how she will play as a junior. I’m assuming that was sophomore footage

Reactions: GameTime
Guys, my friends, anytime we talk about Justine, I have got to be on the scene....She is "Magnificent".....Her ability to regularly hit the 25 plus three point shot, will open up our offensive end of the court, like Moses parting the Red Sea....

The defense will be forced to come out and try and stop her, but this will just open up "major gaps" in their defense that the rest of our squad will be able to destroy, with their own three shot bombs, or slashing drives to the net...

Karoline, Sara, Kaiya, and Brooklyn, will feast on our three ball shocked opposition, like hungry lions attacking a heard of three legged zebras; without mercy...

Time to hunt!
00221917e9c413ac85bd03.jpg

VN Store

Back