Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know if it's true or not. Just the rumor I've heard. Either the SEC had said no, or programs don't trust him to run a program the right way it think he's that great of a coach..... Those are the only explanations.
I think schools are scared off by his rep

I mean hell everyone here was watching pregame speeches of Pruitt two months ago and running thru walls for him. Im
Sure you are correct
Probably some of the same ones who thought Pruitt should have been named coach of the year after his second season. These cats don’t know anything on here in reality.

Easy to say, hard to do especially for us. We might win the short game with that strategy but we'd assure ourselves losing the long game. And all for a coach with marginal success.

No. It’s easy to do. Alabama has done it since 2007, after being busted for recruiting improprieties. Either we wish to take back our rightful place amongst the upper echelon of college football or we don’t. If not, Neyland should be demolished or turned into a museum, because it’ll soon be a place no one visits anyway.

Last edited:
He’s ruined it forever. I don’t even like Phil anymore he doesnt deserve as much credit for the National Championship as he gets. The program was built and stable he just walked into it and underachieved with the best QB of all time. He’s done more harm than good.
Genius! Genius! Genius!

Reactions: KPT_VFL
I don't know if it's true or not. Just the rumor I've heard. Either the SEC had said no, or programs don't trust him to run a program the right way it think he's that great of a coach..... Those are the only explanations.

This thread in the NCAA forum claims that Finebaum spoke to Sankey on the subject of Freeze.

Finebaum Clarified the Freeze “Blackball”

Chadwell is too risky imo. I think you have to go highest floor with this hire. You can’t whiff again after you fire Pruitt.
I think it all comes down to trotting out a coach that won COTY than someone that just went 1-15 in the NFL. Marrone may be good with a good staff and if he’s the guy, I’ll support him. Just win

Reactions: Bassmaster_Vol
To be head coach it sounds like damn

I still can’t wrap my head around who hired him. If it’s Pruitt and he seriously was just a solid (and available) assistant, then I get it. But I’m trying to reconcile that with tonight’s Texas rumor. Why did he hire anyone? And who let him?

Reactions: TN-POSSUM
This thread in the NCAA forum claims that Finebaum spoke to Sankey on the subject of Freeze.

Finebaum Clarified the Freeze “Blackball”
He stated Sankey had told him personally that Hugh Freeze could be hired inside the SEC, that he (Sankey) did not dictate to schools who they could hire. Went on to say that during Ole Miss‘s 2 year Bowl ban that he DID tell Universities that it was bad optics to bring Freeze into a place that was bowl eligible while the school he left was not eligible.

If you think this is incorrect, take it up with Pawl.

GBO

Reactions: ATC_VOL and KPT_VFL
I still can’t wrap my head around who hired him. If it’s Pruitt and he seriously was just a solid (and available) assistant, then I get it. But I’m trying to reconcile that with tonight’s Texas rumor. Why did he hire anyone? And who let him?
This... it makes no sense to hire anyone til an announcement is made on Pruitt's future

Reactions: TN-POSSUM
I think it all comes down to trotting out a coach that won COTY than someone that just went 1-15 in the NFL. Marrone may be good with a good staff and if he’s the guy, I’ll support him. Just win
Doug almost made a super bowl. Has had the first winning seasons at places in over a decade. His resume is 10x that of Chadwells. Never mind the fact that Chadwell has never been at the level Tennessee is so it’s possible he could be in over his head....but whole offensive core philosophy is question mark. I think it would work but it’s no guarantee.

I know for almost a certainty that we will never be horrible under Marrone. We may not make a playoff but we will be respectable every year. There’s a chance chadwells offense could totally flop here. What if he realistically needed to flip the entire personnel on offense like leach does at places. You willing to just basically throw away a year or two?

I’m talking myself into hope.

I really like Chadwell and I love some of the innovative stuff he does on offense. If you let him come in and bring his staff on offense, but pair him with Steele and some vets on defense, it would feel a lot like when Florida hired Urban from Utah but kept Charlie Strong on as DC and hired Greg Mattison as Co-DC.

Biggest concern would be Strength and Conditioning coach. Hopefully Steele could use some of his contacts there.

There was a candidate that had been “vetted” that was OK with the Steele hire. Now who the candidate is, I’m not sure. I tend to think it’s Chadwell.
Are all coaches vetted before being hired? Freeze would be the only coach i can think of that would need vetted right?

Chadwell is too risky imo. I think you have to go highest floor with this hire. You can’t whiff again after you fire Pruitt.
Out of curiosity where do you think Marrone gets us? Would he get us 7-9 wins once he gets it going or do you think he could win the East?

I'm not a big fan of him but I do agree he's got a higher floor than Chadwell or Steele, Chadwell is hiring a lottery ticket. He's got a big time ceiling but a floor that we're unfortunately used to lately.

Reactions: letsgoUT29
Doug almost made a super bowl. Has had the first winning seasons at places in over a decade. His resume is 10x that of Chadwells. Never mind the fact that Chadwell has never been at the level Tennessee is so it’s possible he could be in over his head....but whole offensive core philosophy is question mark. I think it would work but it’s no guarantee.

I know for almost a certainty that we will never be horrible under Marrone. We may not make a playoff but we will be respectable every year. There’s a chance chadwells offense could totally flop here. What if he realistically needed to flip the entire personnel on offense like leach does at places. You willing to just basically throw away a year or two?

All of this.

Reactions: KPT_VFL
We should hire him but we are ran by a bunch of potatoes. I’m starting to even question Boyd.

The fact we've let this drag on longer than it ever should have has had me questioning everyone. Hell, I even question why Bill Lee hasn't called up Boyd and told him to fix this mess? We're just killing ourselves slowly.

My only drawback with Marrone is I just can’t talk myself into believing that he could have us competing for championships. I can definitely see him being able to get us back to respectability.

I’m talking myself into hope.

I really like Chadwell and I love some of the innovative stuff he does on offense. If you let him come in and bring his staff on offense, but pair him with Steele and some vets on defense, it would feel a lot like when Florida hired Urban from Utah but kept Charlie Strong on as DC and hired Greg Mattison as Co-DC.

Biggest concern would be Strength and Conditioning coach. Hopefully Steele could use some of his contacts there.

Marrone could bring VFL and current NFL S&C Tom Myslinski with him.

The fact we've let this drag on longer than it ever should have has had me questioning everyone. Hell, I even question why Bill Lee hasn't called up Boyd and told him to fix this mess? We're just killing ourselves slowly.

I’d love to be a fly on a wall during their meetings

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back