Early SEC Results and Where It Goes From Here

cardvolfan

With 4-5 conference games having been played, there seems to be an early leader that has impressively jumped out of the gate. Alabama has experience, depth, and is playing much better defense than last year. Their strategy of driving hard to the basket with kick-outs if needed has been unstoppable so far by opponents.

Tennessee is the best defensive team in conference, with a huge upside once we figure out rotations and once the younger guys tap more of their potential. LSU, and I hate to say it, scares the crap out of me. They are offensively superior, have a good deal of experience, and have the athletes to win the conference. These 3 teams seem to have the inside track, but it is still very early with only approximately 20% of the conference season having been played on average.

its going to be quite an interesting ride to the end.

With 4-5 conference games having been played, there seems to be an early leader that has impressively jumped out of the gate. Alabama has experience, depth, and is playing much better defense than last year. Their strategy of driving hard to the basket with kick-outs if needed has been unstoppable so far by opponents.

Tennessee is the best defensive team in conference, with a huge upside once we figure out rotations and once the younger guys tap more of their potential. LSU, and I hate to say it, scares the crap out of me. They are offensively superior, have a good deal of experience, and have the athletes to win the conference. These 3 teams seem to have the inside track, but it is still very early with only approximately 20% of the conference season having been played on average.

its going to be quite an interesting ride to the end.
One can not overlook Kentucky. They are improving and will be a face as the season moves along. They have a lot of talent.

Kentucky is a decent team that should continue to get better. By no means will they be an easy game. Their problem is they have such a low margin of error the rest of the way to even make the NCAA Tournament. Will they crack under the pressure?

Has it been stated anywhere by the conference how they will determine the regular season champion and SEC tournament seeding if all teams don't play the same amount of games? I would assume winning percentage but not sure.

Kentucky will be in it at the end, Calipari's teams always get better by end of season, don't let that record fool you. Right now I would rank Bama first, Vols second, LSU 3rd and Kentucky 4th (3-1 in conference). I dont think Tennessee can beat Bama unless they change up their defensive philosophy somewhat, the Bama layup line was uncontested most of the game two weeks ago....

Kentucky will be in it at the end, Calipari's teams always get better by end of season, don't let that record fool you. Right now I would rank Bama first, Vols second, LSU 3rd and Kentucky 4th (3-1 in conference). I dont think Tennessee can beat Bama unless they change up their defensive philosophy somewhat, the Bama layup line was uncontested most of the game two weeks ago....
.....as it was last night against Kentucky.

Reactions: VolunteerCeltic
It was well contested when Pons wasn’t removed by the officials IMO

If anyone can devise a defense to stop Alabama, it’s Barnes.

It was well contested when Pons wasn’t removed by the officials IMO
Pons was contesting at the rim, I agree. Penetration that deep still leads to way too many kick-outs in my opinion. I’m not sure penetration ever leads to good things for the defensive team.

Reactions: walkenvol
Agreed, wish our wing players had stayed in front of their guys better with Pons called on much less often. Maybe that’s the lesson learned from that game?
Somehow, I think teams are going to have to limit so much penetration if anyone’s going to beat them. Right now, they have the perfect blend of inside/outside and that is hard to beat.

Reactions: i2amavol
Tennessee with a healthy Springer and Pons out of foul trouble matches up much differently against Bama, we were forced to play Anosike/ORN/Pember more than we ideally would’ve in that game.
I also think we can play small ball if you will with Pons at the 5. I don't think we have saw that much. Springer, Bailey, Keon, JJJ, Pons.

Bama beats TN maybe 3 times out of 10.
Refs took Pons out of the game and he was a big part of TNs gameplan. Plus Bammers shot out of their minds from three during one stretch.

Next matchup will be a different game if the ticky tack fouls are left out and averages hold out on shooting.

As soon as Alabama hired Nate Oats I thought they would be contending for conference titles within 3 or 4 years. Watching his Buffalo teams in the tournament, I knew some team would eventually be getting a good. It just had to be Alabama of all places. He is probably the best hire that program has ever made and the first one they’ve hired that actually got my attention. I knew they would be improved this year and they were my sleeper team to win the conference but I didn’t expect them to be this good this soon. The SEC as a whole has great coaching now. Vandy is about the only cakewalk team in the conference. Other that that, there are no gimmes like there used to be.

I also think we can play small ball if you will with Pons at the 5. I don't think we have saw that much. Springer, Bailey, Keon, JJJ, Pons.

Yea, that was my point about Pons being in foul trouble...we were forced to play lineups we would rather not in that matchup.

Reactions: Yeiser10
I keep seeing Vandy is a cakewalk this season. Both 3 and 1 UK and Mississippi State beat Vandy by just 3. I wouldn't call that a cakewalk.

I've only watched Alabama play vs us and UK but I can't figure out how they dropped those games early in the season. Petty looks like an All American. Deadly from three and against UK he got to the basket whenever he wanted and was completely in control of the game. I guess they are likely to have an off shooting night at some point and lose one or two. I think we just need to take care of our own business and not worry if we finish first or second in the regular season. The Alabama loss might have been a wake up call that helps us win an SEC tourney and get a high tourney seed.

VN Store

Back