Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
He only wants certain jobs. Freeze has floated his own name. Pretty clear.
I’m way behind but I’ve got to ask, what is your deal with Freeze? Every time anyone mentions Freeze you always say this same thing about him throwing his name out. I don’t see anything wrong with that.
I’m not dogging you as you are a respected poster but you definitely have something against Freeze..

He’s another my way or no way coaches I think. Steele is an outsider so he doesent fit.
I have no clue what he is. Most coaches are my way or the highway. But there is no chance that AP called Chadwell to ask him if hiring Steele is ok with him when we don’t even have a coaching search yet.

Rumor I heard was Pruiit asked some student assistant or assistants to take the fall for something and they refused . They were interviewed.

That is why I asked on here if anyone heard anything about student assistants being involved.

No idea if this is true. But it ain't good if he did.
Possible. I have heard a rumor that we sent a backpack full of cash down to Mims through a student assistant so this could be that.

After reading Kingston's post (which was a great post, btw), the thing that stuck out to me the most was the strip club allegation. If that one is found to be true, that's what will kill Pruitt's rep. College football fans and media implicitly understand that some form of improper benefits is the norm in the sport, but when those improper benefits can be perceived as "morally corrupting" like strippers, prostitutes, underage drinking, or drugs, that's when the coach's reputation is tarnished. Look at Freeze and Pitino, they both had to start at the bottom. Even though Pearl got a show cause, he was still able to jump back in at the Power 5 level because his conduct amounted to improper conduct that most of the public thinks is happening anyway.

I'm thinking this allegation is why Hank said Pruitt would be radioactive after this. If this did happen and they can show he was aware (or even worse, directed it), he's gonna have a multi-year show cause and be sitting his ass at home.

For a ownership and management that was tanking.
This. This is why you cannot just look at Marrones record in Jacksonville and take it at face value.

Marrone took over a team that went 3-13..... one of those wins was at the end with him as interim.....

The following year they went 10-6. The Jags had not won double digits since 2007 and had not won their division since 1999. That year they won two playoff games vs Buffalo and put up 45 points in a win Vs Steelers in the Next round. They then lossed 24-20 to NE and had the lead until The final drive. BLAKE BORTLES WENT 23-36 293yd 1td 0in IN FOXBOROUGH.

The next year they hired Tom Coughlin as president of operations and despite starting the year 3-1 including a win over New England..... the plan was in place to began a tear down Bc trade rumors started flying and they wanted out of the bortles contract. Thus leading them to trading 4 prime pro bowlers from the best 4 man front defense of the decade just to switch to a 3 man front (their following drafts point to this).

How would this translate to being the coach of Tennessee? Idk. But it’s lazy to just look at his record and not actually look at the context of the situation and organization as a whole.

Look at Jim Caldwell for example. He had Manning in Indy, two great years. Manning is injured.... ownership wants to tank and they go 2-14.... Caldwell is painted as a bad coach.

he gets hired again and in 4 years of the lions coach he went 11-5, 7-9, 9-7, and 9-7........ you see what the lions have been since him.

Point being: in the NFL... a head coach can only do so much.... Owner/GM/Front Office and QB have more power and say on outcome than the actual head coach.

We see it happening now In Philadelphia. They fire a Super Bowl winning coach his first down year because Doug never was sold on Wentz but the ownership was. Gonna be interesting to see what direction they go Bc they seem keen on keeping Wentz in green.... for some reason.

Last edited:
I have no clue what he is. Most coaches are my way or the highway. But there is no chance that AP called Chadwell to ask him if hiring Steele is ok with him when we don’t even have a coaching search yet.

That’s true.

I just hope that one way or another they’ve got their ducks in a row and once it’s over a hire is made and a staff is put together

Reactions: Smyrna ATL Vol
no matter who is hired it will be 1/3 will say great hire 1/3 will say lets see what happens and 1/3 will believe it's a terrible hire

I think it's Marrone. AP said yesterday that hiring Steele is a snag for Chadwell. I believe if Pruitt is about to be fired that they'll announce Marrone, and possibly on the same day. Steele as DC.

hear me out.... (too good to be true) BUT.

Steele and Marrone are both very close to fulmer. Steele tried hard to get the auburn head job so he really didn’t play the field to land a good assistant job... most are occupied now. Both agree to come back to Tennessee in whatever role to “reset” and survey they landscape and don’t really care who the head coach is or role they are in (basically what chip long did) so there could be a long shot that neither of them have really any effect on who the head coach would be.

This. This is why you cannot just look at Marrones record in Jacksonville and take it at face value.

Marrone took over a team that went 3-13..... one of those wins was at the end with him as interim.....

The following year they went 10-6. The Jags had not won double digits since 2007 and had not won their division since 1999. That year they won two playoff games vs Buffalo and put up 45 points in a win Vs Steelers in the Next round. They then lossed 24-20 to NE and had the lead until The final drive. BLAKE BORTLES WENT 23-36 293yd 1td 0in IN FOXBOROUGH.

The next year they hired Tom Coughlin as president of operations and despite starting the year 3-1 including a win over New England..... the plan was in place to began a tear down Bc trade rumors started flying and they wanted out of the bortles contract. Thus leading them to trading 4 prime pro bowlers from the best 4 man front defense of the decade just to switch to a 3 man front (their following drafts point to this).

How would this translate to being the coach of Tennessee? Idk. But it’s lazy to just look at his record and not actually look at the context of the situation and organization as a whole.

Look at Jim Caldwell for example. He had Manning in Indy, two great years. Manning is injured.... ownership wants to tank and they go 2-14.... Caldwell is painted as a bad coach.

he gets hired again and in 4 years of the lions coach he went 11-5, 7-9, 9-7, and 9-7........ you see what the lions have been sense him.

Point being: in the NFL... a head coach can only do so much.... Owner/GM/Front Office and QB have more power and say on outcome than the actual head coach.

We see it happening now In Philadelphia. They fire a Super Bowl winning coach his first down year because Doug never was sold on Wentz but the ownership was. Gonna be interesting to see what direction they go Bc they seem keen on keeping Wentz in green.... for some reason.

In other words he road a defense and did had a system in place on offense not to screw it up.

I could live with Marrone. But I don't like the idea of Phil getting another chance to just go hire his buddy and keep hanging around the football team all the time.

The Pruitt disaster is on Phil. The idea that he would get to pick the next coach and continue meddling in the program after all of this is insane.
I’m with you on that. Marrone was 1 quarter and a 10 point lead over the Pats from the Super Bowl. That’s nothing to hang your hat on, but he’s been in big time football games before. I don’t think he needs his hand held by Fulmer, and he doesn’t strike me as the kind of guy that would handle that sort of meddling too well. I think it was built in front the get go with Pruitt and Phil has overreached with this staff. All of the stuff that I keep reading from some of the inside guys on here (AV, LA, JA18 and others) make it seem that there are a great deal of trust issues on this staff and very little cohesion. There needs to be 1 message being delivered on down the chain and accepted as Gospel by everyone in the football office. That’s the head coaches message. I am ok with Marrone being a CEO type hire as long as he lets people handle their business and there is an understanding of why we’re doing this here and how this is going to help us here.
As i said in my previous post, I don’t expect people to be overly pleased with a hire like this, but I do see ways that it could be successful.

Reactions: MrVolton
For you Chadwell’s offense won’t work in SEC or he runs the triple option blah blah...

Poster on VQ dug up these stats...

Chadwell's Coastal QB Grayson McCall

19th Nationally in Passing Yards
12th Nationally in Completion %
8th Nationally in Yards Per Attempt
10th Nationally in Passing TD's
6th Nationally in QB Rating

I rewatched the full game highlights from Liberty vs. Coastal Carolina last night and almost every offensive highlight from CCU was an RPO. CCU was slinging it around the yard. McCall threw for 300+.

If anybody didn’t already hate the state of UT football...

***believe they would’ve had to stay to JR year academically***

Also no idea if this is actually true bc I don’t want to look it up

Every recruit at UT in the last decade has seen their coach fired before graduating!

he gets hired again and in 4 years of the lions coach he went 11-5, 7-9, 9-7, and 9-7........ you see what the lions have been since him.

Doug Pederson won a freaking Super Bowl with Nick Foles! Philly is dumb on this one. Maybe the Jets will fall into a good hire for once.

Looks like some of our fans became soft trying to spin the narrative that Marrone would be a good hire.

More sad times ahead of us I’m afraid.

Nail in the coffin. I'll still root for UT, but this is not what I raised to believe. I always thought we were a superpower who was down. Turns out we are an apathetic University with no desire to be great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back