How would you feel about not playing Alabama every year?

Go to a 9 game SEC schedule and rotate all cross division opponents. We'd see almost everybody every 2 years. That's enough to maintain a rivalry and balance the schedule. It's not like it would be the first time a rivalry had to be modified. It's goofy that the whole thing is jacked up basically so that TN/Bama and GA/Auburn can happen every year.

Wasn't the whole thing set up specifically so those 2 games would keep happening every year?

Yes, do away with it unless all the East plays Alabama every year.

As bad as the 13 game streak would appear on its face, it has not caused UT any kind of disadvantage compared to the rest of the East. UT won the East in 2007, so obviously that loss didn't hurt UT in the East standings. Over the next 12 years, UT wouldn't have won the East even if they'd beat Alabama. So, for over a decade UT's problem hasn't been Alabama, it's been the rest of the East.

Tennessee prides itself in tradition, why is this even a question? If you want to be the best you got to beat the best. Over the last decade, 'Bama has been the real litmus test as to where we stand as a program. The 'Bama, UF, and KY games are off-limits.

I used to ne adamant about playing Bama every year.

Now, ho hum, Bama, or no Bama...…...whatever.

Is there anything UT can do to ever be competitive with Bama again? And by competitive I mean roll off a win every once in awhile....If the answer is “no” then I see no reason to keep it. Why would we want to chalk up a loss every year just for tradition sake? At this point the Bammers get more satisfaction out of the rivalry then we do, so screw ‘em.

It's every 6 years, and it's because Bama was the only school that supported a nine game conference schedule.
Yep. One thing you can say about Saban, he's pushed expanding the conference schedule multiple times. Correct me if I'm wrong bamawriter, hasn't he advocated for keeping the 10 conference game schedule?

Yep. One thing you can say about Saban, he's pushed expanding the conference schedule multiple times. Correct me if I'm wrong bamawriter, hasn't he advocated for keeping the 10 conference game schedule?

He has indeed. But as far as the nine game schedule, it wasn't just Saban that pushed for it. Bama's president moved for a vote on a nine game conference schedule, and no one would even second the motion.

Even with the way the series has been going, I can't stand the thought of not playing Alabama every year.

I'm surprised that a lot of the UT fans I work with are ready to throw in the towel and would like to see a different West opponent.

Your thoughts?

It's a fair question to ask, but playing Alabama isn't the root problem here.

I feel very strongly that UT needs to approach the SEC office and do something about the schedule rotation.

They were willing to rearrange the schedule for Auburn so they didn't have to play Georgia and Alabama back to back.

Fulmer needs to do something to get out of this Alabama every year situation.

I feel very strongly that UT needs to approach the SEC office and do something about the schedule rotation.

They were willing to rearrange the schedule for Auburn so they didn't have to play Georgia and Alabama back to back.

I agree. The West should play the East on a regular rotation. As it is now for Tennessee, 4 year players will never play certain West opponents in their career.

Maybe we can get Kentucky off the schedule also. Hell, let's just drop all pretense of pride and get ND's spot in the ACC.

Reactions: 99gator
Maybe we can get Kentucky off the schedule also. Hell, let's just drop all pretense of pride and get ND's spot in the ACC.

This. I continue to really be confused about the obsession with losing to Alabama. If Tennessee had experienced season after season of what Texas A&M did this season, I would understand it.

However, Tennessee is 50-81 in conference games since 2005. If you take Alabama out of the equation, they'd be 49-66 in conference play in that time. That would be an average of 4 conference losses a season without playing Alabama. With that winning percentage (42.6% from the 49-66 total), replacing Alabama with another opponent would have Tennessee at 7-9 against that unnamed conference opponent instead of 1-15 against Alabama.

So, your talking 56-75 (ballpark) instead of 50-81.

All the East teams should play the west Team Los evenly on a rotating basis. Right now we don’t play some of the West teams but every 6 years. Some players will never have a chance to compete against a West opponent. The current scheduling is flawed and actually unfair to some teams and favorable to other teams.

Make the 10 game SEC schedule permanent. Permanent rivalries can stay and the rotation will be much better.

Make the 10 game SEC schedule permanent. Permanent rivalries can stay and the rotation will be much better.

I‘m fine with 9. 10 would be a “no“ for me. But, I think there will be a day where the power 5 breaks away and only schedules each other and you get that 10 game league schedule with no cupcakes.

my issue is that I don’t think it’s fair for our league to play that kind of schedule while other teams basically have in-conference homecoming week to week. Bama pulled it off and LSU played a ridiculous schedule last year too.

I don’t mind going through a meat grinder if everyone across the country is too or that the playoff is expanded

I actually liked the all-SEC schedule this year. Let’s drop MO from the conference and play everybody in the SEC each year.

Of course that isn’t a serious recommendation, but I have grown to dislike playing crappy teams for 3 of the 4 non-conf games. Yes, I know we cannot even beat the out-of-conf opponents right now, but that will change when we get better coaching.

Itś not Bamaś fault UT has been down.

Some of our 90- 04 teams could have beaten some of these Bama teams.
I mean to say, we have had elite talent at Tennessee. Thereś nothing that says there cant be a powerhouse Alabama AND powerhouse Tennessee.

I truly believe Saban has 5 more great years, and maybe 7 in total. When he leaves after that, gives no guarantees that The Vols will suddenly resurrect...
Need to lose the gap on everyone else first...

Tradition blah blah blah. Until we are remotely competitive again we are just an automatic W for them in the way to qualifying to play for a National Championship. That makes me sick. I’d rather Florida or Georgia take over our spot for a while...let them feel the yearly pain.

VN Store

Back