How would you feel about not playing Alabama every year?

Oh, probably the same way cowards feel when they actively avoid, flee from, or hide themselves whenever a bigger man comes along to challenge their myopic and self serving worldview.

If it feels like a cowardly b!tch move...well....It probably is.
I had rather lose every game than have one bammer call us chicken.

Even with the way the series has been going, I can't stand the thought of not playing Alabama every year.

I'm surprised that a lot of the UT fans I work with are ready to throw in the towel and would like to see a different West opponent.

Your thoughts?
I believe all the West opponents should be rotated on an equal basis for every East team. We are at a disadvantage having to play Alabama every year. How often does Florida and Georgia play Alabama with the current scheduling?

In the last 13 years we’ve only really “played” them 5 times, the other 8 we were beat before getting to the stadium.

Since we have given up the tradition in uniforms and dropped rivalries with Auburn for UGA and Florida I have no problem dropping Alabama. That rivalry is a long time over. It was great when I was young but those times exist no more. The younger fans look at UGA and Florida as big games. The benefit would be that we would see all members of the conference on a more frequent schedule.

I guess if you want to admit we're Vanderbilt now to them, then yeah drop them.

Otherwise, no. I mean do you want to figure out a way to stop playing Florida too? Why don't we just leave the SEC if it's too tough for us?

I used to be against it for tradition, well hell im still against it. But I’m tired of us getting the automatic beat down every year. The truth is though, UT deserves those automatic beat downs because they can’t pull their head out of their arse. Don’t run away. Fix the problems starting with the admin culture. Are we going to run away from Florida and Georgia too? Why not just join the Sunbelt and be done with it. Tear down Neyland and throw up a 20000 seat stadium.

Reactions: IndianaVol
If we're not going to be competitive in the SEC East how in the %$ll can oine fathom being competitive against Bama year in and year out? I'm beginning to question why UT stays in the SEC. If we're going to field mid major teams move to the mid major, scale back on Neyland and bury big boy athletics at UT. Tired of mediocrity.

I bet Bama asked the same thing in the 90s and early 00s.

A huge part of what makes college football and the University of Tennessee what they are the traditions. You can go to any college football fan in American utter the phrase Third Saturday in October and they immediately know what you mean.

Reactions: TGVol and igotworms
How would you feel about not playing Alabama every year?

Uh...nope...believe it or not...traditions MEAN something.
Not to these "newer fans" apparently
Can't see the past that got them to this point and can't see down the road when Saban is gone.
So let's trash everything for the maybe of right now.

Good plan
Solid

Even with the way the series has been going, I can't stand the thought of not playing Alabama every year.

I'm surprised that a lot of the UT fans I work with are ready to throw in the towel and would like to see a different West opponent.

Your thoughts?
If you wanna be the man ya gotta beat the man

Reactions: TGVol
It a question of running. Do Georgia or Florida play them every year? It is unfair competitively if they do not have to play them every year.
Somebody did a breakdown last year of SEC conference records dating back to 1992, the year the SEC split into divisions and compared Bama's record against everyone in the conference but Tennessee, LSU's record against everyone but Florida and Auburn's record against everyone but Georgia and they were all pretty close to the same. Alabama has been a hard out since Saban got there in 2007, but before that outside of about 3 seasons, they were easier than LSU and/or Auburn. Saban ain't going much longer as soon as we change it, they'll cycle down and we'll be screwing ourselves.

Somebody did a breakdown last year of SEC conference records dating back to 1992, the year the SEC split into divisions and compared Bama's record against everyone in the conference but Tennessee, LSU's record against everyone but Florida and Auburn's record against everyone but Georgia and they were all pretty close to the same. Alabama has been a hard out since Saban got there in 2007, but before that outside of about 3 seasons, they were easier than LSU and/or Auburn. Saban ain't going much longer as soon as we change it, they'll cycle down and we'll be screwing ourselves.
We hope they cycle down. Not a given.

Well it's traditional game. Currently its a tradition of us taking a beating. It's a automatic loss right now and i don't see it turning around anytime soon. We don't have the same commitment out of our Administration to football that they do. Probably why no big name coach will ever come here. There is something rotten up there and the good ones want no part of it.

Like a scared wuss.

If you want to be the man you have to beat the man and right now Bama is the man.

Go to a 9 game SEC schedule and rotate all cross division opponents. We'd see almost everybody every 2 years. That's enough to maintain a rivalry and balance the schedule. It's not like it would be the first time a rivalry had to be modified. It's goofy that the whole thing is jacked up basically so that TN/Bama and GA/Auburn can happen every year.

Reactions: rjd970 and Remy
Reasons to keep playing Bama every year:
1. Tradition
2. Running away from a challenge never ends well
3. If the team is not good enough to beat Bama, they are not going to win a championship and need to improve; dodging Bama doesn’t solve the problem

Reactions: dgrind65

VN Store

Back