It's way to early to shut the door on E.J. Anosike....

SinDarius Thornwell was the SEC POY in 2017 and they also made a final 4. Frank just hadn’t recruited well the past few years

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol
I've seen alot of fans on here recently call him a bust. I disagree. I can have valid input on him considering I watched him play at Sacred Heart his sophomore and junior season. He's learning an entirely new system in one of the most physical conferences in college basketball. Also, we all know Barnes is defense first when it comes to development. Wait until Anosike gets comfortable with the game speed. I can see him being a major contributor by the end of the season. Could definitely use that in tourney play. If I'm wrong I'll eat my words but we'll see. That guy is a gamer when he gets comfortable.
[VIDEO=][/VIDEO]

Beginning of the year I was hoping he could be a solid 20 minutes per game for us, but it seems like 14 (maybe) is what we will get. Good defender and rebounder despite lack of height, for the minutes he gets but doesn’t offer much offense at all, unfortunately.

He will play depending on the opponent’s size and style. Against some smaller/quicker teams, we are better off with James at the 4. Seems like a good teammate and perhaps he returns next year.

I saw him as an enforcer. Someone who would come help body up and physically help wear down opponents bigs. That hasn’t happened yet. He hasn’t even fouled out yet!!!!! 😂. Come on big fella!!!!

Looks like a fish outta water vs the length and athleticism in the SEC. needs to start hitting the open shots. Ton of 💜 and banger skills give him a chance to contribute in roles for this team. Unfortunately, his game is being mothballed due to the stupid 3pt line and it's destruction of much post play.
His soph year he shot over 40% from 3

I love his energy, effort, and love for UT. On this team and this season, he is a role player. To me, he hasn’t shown to be a scorer, that should have plays ran for. He is a garbage points type of guy, and there’s nothing wrong with that. (Fulkerson, Pons, Bailey, Vescovi, James, Springer, and Johnson are all proven scorers and I’d rather them take any shots designed for him)
Nkhamhoua has shown a lot of progression offensively this year. Walker is a former 4-star that is likely redshirting this year. It’s not completely out of the realm of possibility that Fulkerson could return. If EJ returns next year, he still might not be relied on to score, but he will provide valuable minutes and the opposing team will know that he has been on the floor.

Reactions: Woodlawn VOL
I'm not gonna lie I had a little higher expectations for him coming in being an experienced player and with the post position being our thinnest position. He and a lot of our players have missed some really easy shots around the rim. I'm not sure what's up with that? He's shooting under 40% from fg and that's not really acceptable for a post player imo. I haven't given up on him yet though. For comparison, ORN has made more fg's on less attempts than him in half the minutes. When he's on the court we're pretty much playing 4 on 5 on offense.

Who is shutting the door on him, he battles hard and not much drop off if any when he is in there. I think he continues to improve. GBO!

Reactions: Afowl2
I'm not gonna lie I had a little higher expectations for him coming in being an experienced player and with the post position being our thinnest position. He and a lot of our players have missed some really easy shots around the rim. I'm not sure what's up with that? He's shooting under 40% from fg and that's not really acceptable for a post player imo. I haven't given up on him yet though. For comparison, ORN has made more fg's on less attempts than him in half the minutes. When he's on the court we're pretty much playing 4 on 5 on offense.
He’s been less than good offensively. I would say by 12-13 games in we will have an idea of where he stands.

I still think he's getting used to the speed of the game at this level. It does not excuse his multiple missed bunnies though. He looks like he's pressing offensively, just lay it in big fella.

Reactions: cardvolfan
I would say Anosike has about 2 more weeks to prove his value or he gets few minutes moving forward.

The kid must be trying to do too much. He can't make a free throw, a layup... the other night he had a rebound fall right in his lap... He bumbled that thing around like a live grenade until Arkansas finally came down with it. Sounds like an awesome kid but he's struggling to do simple things right now. Hope he can get it going.

He needs time to adjust also but he’s a 6-5. If you’re thinking 10 pts a 6 rebounds a game, you’re kidding yourself. Nothing is going to run thru him. And shouldn’t.

Reactions: Vols All Day
I still think he's getting used to the speed of the game at this level. It does not excuse his multiple missed bunnies though. He looks like he's pressing offensively, just lay it in big fella.

He is definitely pressing and still a little shell shocked by the size he is facing every night. Hopefully he can relax and realize what he can do to help this team.

SinDarius Thornwell was the SEC POY in 2017 and they also made a final 4. Frank just hadn’t recruited well the past few years

SC is a very very tough BB job. 1) you’re in the ACC footprint so most top players go to Duke or UNC, 2) you fight Clemson for instate left overs, 3) go to Atl and fight everyone for leftovers from Duke, UNC, & Ky.

Last edited:
He needs to learn to use his size more, which is odd because it seemed like he did at SH. He should be able to physical his way to plenty of rebounds per game and if he did that he'd see his playing time rise.

VN Store

Back