More More More JJJ

I just looked at the play-by-play transcript. With 4:49 to play, JJJ made a layup. 0:12 later, he gets a steal and is fouled at the 4:32 mark and shoots two FTs, where he makes the first and misses the second.

So I reviewing it, I do think he made the first layup and then missed the 2nd, but was fouled, as was originally stated.

so he didn’t make an and one down the left lane ?

so he didn’t make an and one down the left lane ?
Not that I can tell. It looks like he made the first layup, and then got fouled going in again on an identical looking play. Missed the layup, but got fouled. Made 1-2 free throws.

This is the play where he began clapping emphatically towards the bench that I mentioned earlier. It was back-to-back possessions and extended the Tennessee lead to 68-61 following the made FT.

Not that I can tell. It looks like he made the first layup, and then got fouled going in again on an identical looking play. Missed the layup, but got fouled. Made 1-2 free throws.

This is the play where he began clapping emphatically towards the bench that I mentioned earlier. It was back-to-back possessions and extended the Tennessee lead to 68-61 following the made FT.
Just watched the highlights and confirmed this.

Somebody tell JJJ that he has the keys!

He is the driver of this bus and he’s the damn 5 star to take this team to the promised land!

Much needed change in aggressiveness tonight and that must continue!!

We don’t win tonight without it that’s for sure!
Before the game my wife said why is he starting? I said who and her response was and I quote “No Game James”. I said why did you call him that and she states he is to timid and doesn’t look for his opportunities.

After the game she was shouting how about JJ. I just laughed.

King James and Fulkerson were co players of the game tonight and Springer had a big three late in the game to give Tennessee the lead.

Solid win with 3 road games out of the next 4 coming up.

We don't win that game without Bailey's scoring when nobody else was hitting. But JJJ was player of the game.

Before the game my wife said why is he starting? I said who and her response was and I quote “No Game James”. I said why did you call him that and she states he is to timid and doesn’t look for his opportunities.

After the game she was shouting how about JJ. I just laughed.
Dude you need to record your wife watching games. Sounds like there's entertainment to be seen. My sister is the worst Bi polar fan there is. Mad one minute. Shouting heck yeah the next.

Reactions: gainesvol82
I was really happy to see him finally play aggressive. I agree that if we can keep him playing like that, we'll be a very tough team to beat later on....

I personally don't think we are a top 10 team but have an excellent opportunity to be that by seasons end. JJJ's being able to bring what he did last night consistently is one of the keys to us getting there.

Of our five guards, Bailey is the weakest defender, statistically. But he is also the strongest offensive player, statistically. Hard to bench the guy when you need someone to take charge and score points. JJJ helped to shoulder that load, offensively, which made it easier to bench Bailey at the end.

Side note: JJJ has the highest aggregate offensive and defensive rating, which is why he was my choice for most important player.

As of Tennessee's last game on March 3rd

He also has a substantial lead in +/- in leading the SEC in that category at 13.7. Next closest is Jordan Bruner at 11.8. FWIW, Bailey is 5th and Fulky is 8th in the SEC, respectively.

Per T-Page for Tennessee - Customizable College Basketball Tempo Free Stats - T-Rank Bailey and Vescovi are ahead of Springer and Johnson defensively

Per Barnes Johnson is ahead of Bailey thus the reason he started
Lol I didn’t say what Barnes said, simply replying to Chris’ post about analytics...pretty moot point though as they played same number of minutes, not sure anyone predicted Bailey to lead the team in PPG, and not really even that closely either, huge part of this team.

Funny you choose to use Barnes for that though, but not about the fact Vescovi is who he feels is best option at PG?

Reactions: walkenvol
Funny you choose to use Barnes for that though, but not about the fact Vescovi is who he feels is best option at PG?

It’s very clear what’s going on with PG right now. Jimmy Dykes even mentioned it last night with Barnes moving SV off the ball due to his lack of quickness and ability to handle the on ball pressure. Maybe JD reads us here

Lol I didn’t say what Barnes said, simply replying to Chris’ post about analytics...pretty moot point though as they played same number of minutes, not sure anyone predicted Bailey to lead the team in PPG, and not really even that closely either, huge part of this team.

Sports-Reference is what I was using in terms of points allowed per 100 possessions.CC94703D-B3DF-48E5-81BE-B343B6EB5495.png

SV hasn’t regressed. He’s still the same elite shooter and Savy player. The issue is he hasn’t gotten any better either and he really needed to improved ball handling with his right hand and quickness. That hasn’t happened

That’s why we see him moving more off the ball and why JimmyD mentioned Barnes doing a good job of moving him off the ball last night.

I'd take this year's version over last year's any day, minus the hair. Still makes some bad decisions, but way way better than last year when he hopped off a plane and into a starting role in SEC play. He's playing more in Barnes scheme and the FR and Bailey are taking more of the scoring load. Bad shooting night, but we've fingers to point in more than SVs direction the last 2 games on that.

I’m pretty sure he got talked to and challenged during a break or when he was out of the games because of how he reacted towards the bench after his drives.
Now there’s game tape to show him how better the team can be when he’s more aggressive.

Yeah, it's time for Springer, Keon, JJJ, Pons and Fulk to be the starting 5. Vescovi and Bailey first off the bench, followed by Anosike, ON and Gaines depending on the situation. Hopefully, Walker can get some minutes, soon. I think Walker may already be a better offensive player than ON and Anosike. I have no proof, just going by high school/AAU highlights, if Walker ever gets a chance, this year, I think he will prove me right. Still, UT's three 5 stars are our best players and are starting to show it

VN Store

Back