Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honest question for those in the know: How do guys with more NFL experience than college feel about the college game? Particularly coaching it. Do they actually have their hearts in it? On the surface they are similar but the NFL is just pure football whereas college is mostly recruiting, dealing with practice limitations, kissing boosters' asses, being the face of the program, doing community ****, talking down homesick players and divas, etc. I could see how someone like Marrone might initially take the job then regret it, especially after spending so many years in the NFL. You'd feel like a babysitter who gets to coach a little football on the side.
We are going to hire that boring loser Marrone and be right back here with pitchforks and torches in three years.

Got in my truck after Lowe was already off the air. Dougherty said Lowe mentioned Mullen could make the jump to NFL this year. Pissed fans got on him for LSU game.

Said Napier makes sense there
Silver lining would be the lamentations of “we could have had him here!” would be accurate.

Reactions: volatil
I have been saying he needs to go also. I just don't hate the guy like errybody else does, and I absolutely HATE the slimy backstabbing cheapscate weasel way we have gone about this. It disgusts and embarrasses me.
I'm not sure what he did but from what I understand these things came to light back in the summer. I just think the current climate, mixed with the bad season has put this thing in the express lane. Pruitt has done more than his fair share of backstabbing over there and has allegedly made a lot of enemies. He's essentially getting Donnie Tyndall'd

I don't think that's what he's saying here. I think he's being critical of the administration. I think he thinks as we do - fire him or keep him. Just do something.
Is he saying it because the administration is working to get rid of Pruitt, though? I think he is carrying water for him while trying to appear to be objective.

Honest question for those in the know: How do guys with more NFL experience than college feel about the college game? Particularly coaching it. Do they actually have their hearts in it? On the surface they are similar but the NFL is just pure football whereas college is mostly recruiting, dealing with practice limitations, kissing boosters' asses, being the face of the program, doing community ****, talking down homesick players and divas, etc. I could see how someone like Marrone might initially take the job then regret it, especially after spending so many years in the NFL. You'd feel like a babysitter who gets to coach a little football on the side.

I think the majority of them probably don't like recruiting but I bet they're a big fan of the million dollar contracts with huge buyouts.

He could be exactly what the program needs.

Why he does not suck

• Took a Syracuse team that had been the worst in their conference and won a conference championship with them in year 4.
  • Won 9 wins in a season with Buffalo, at a time when that was no small feat, and left in his own terms when the team changed hands.
  • Made it to the AFC Championship game with Bortles at QB, and did well until his GM got rid of all his defensive talent
  • Extensive NFL experience as OL coach and OC (including time under Payton at New Orleans) that could be a huge selling point to recruits.
  • Good prior relationship with Fulmer (which may be a bigger factor in winning than any of us on this side of the office door realize).
  • He’s got one of the best resumes of all the guys that would most likely come here.
"We can do worse!"..that is a bull💩 way to justify a bull💩 hire..

This boring loser is the death knell of the program if he is hired. We have to get this right..THIS TIME...not settle for Mr "we could do worse"..

Marrone is a garbage hire..period..

In my opinion.

Reactions: bullet20
So 8-5 in the big east is good? And 1 year where he had a good defense in the NFL is the recipe for a good coach? Head coaching record is all im worried about. He sucks.

Hugh freeze won 10 games with a team full of 2 stars. Jamie Chadwell won 10 games with a bunch of 2 stars. Those are good head coaches.

I didnt say he was my first choice, like I said I think Napier would be an excellent choice. Marrone isn't bad though. When he had a decent roster he was up 10 in the 4th qtr in the AFC Championship game with Blake Bortles at QB, Jacksonville then traded everyone. Look at the roster for the 2009 Bills he got to 9 wins.
He improved Syracuse dramatically and recruited and developed players like Chandler Jones and Ryan Pugh.

If I’m Napier or another hot candidate, I’m thinking twice before I’d take that Florida job. They fired a cat who won the East two years in a row, and are redneck mad at Mullen right now. Expectations are unrealistic. That job isn’t that much better than the Tennessee job.

So 8-5 in the big east is good? And 1 year where he had a good defense in the NFL is the recipe for a good coach? Head coaching record is all im worried about. He sucks.

Hugh freeze won 10 games with a team full of 2 stars. Jamie Chadwell won 10 games with a bunch of 2 stars. Those are good head coaches.

Taking a team that was worst in its conference for 5+ years and winning the conference title in year 4 is very good IMO and shows the ability to rebuild. NFL is a different animal. Other coaches that did less during their stints as HC in the NFL: Nick Saban, Lane Kiffin, etc. the experience is a huge selling point for kids wanting to get into the league.

I would love it if we got Freeze, but if Auburn didn’t go there, then you know there must be something to it.

Chadwell is a huge experiment, and we’ve seen the ceiling of his offense in the SEC and it looks just like Kentucky did this year.

I like Napier quite a bit though.

If I’m Napier or another hot candidate, I’m thinking twice before I’d take that Florida job. They fired a cat who won the East two years in a row, and are redneck mad at Mullen right now. Expectations are unrealistic. That job isn’t that much better than the Tennessee job.
EED3C7C1-815E-4293-B7C3-EF3C6B45B0CE.jpeg

"We can do worse!"..that is a bull💩 way to justify a bull💩 hire..

This boring loser is the death knell of the program if he is hired. We have to get this right..THIS TIME...not settle for Mr "we could do worse"..

Marrone is a garbage hire..period..

In my opinion.
Marrone would grow on you. I would bet money on it. He’s your kinda guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back