Stunk it up tonight

Just seemed like it was Bama's game from the tip. Quick foul trouble for Pons, Springer hurt, we couldn't shoot(everyone, not just a couple of players), and embarrassing FT numbers.

We will lose some more games. I just hate losing to a team at home when I know we are better than that team.

Reactions: cncchris33
I believe for the 1st time tonight the games we lost with Wisconsin. Gonzaga, Notre Dame, etc showed up, we had our 1st game with real adversity and we did not handle it well, lost a little composure in the 4 minutes out of half and it cost us. I hope and expect we will learn and improve from tonight.

Agreed.

This place never fails. One loss in basketball, and people think the sky is falling. Every team loses basketball games. We want to be elite in March.
Yup, it’s why I’ve steered clear...let the drive by’s disappear and I’ll come around. Had to be certifiably insane to think this team was going to go undefeated or only lose a game or 2, news flash, we likely lose again.

Yup, it’s why I’ve steered clear...let the drive by’s disappear and I’ll come around. Had to be certifiably insane to think this team was going to go undefeated or only lose a game or 2, news flash, we likely lose again.
It actually amazes me to see the undefeated posts. I appreciate positivity, but for me, experience in my life says THAT is virtually impossible. The losses will make Tennessee better. Great shooting by any one team on a particular night makes you look better than you are and poor shooting in any one game makes you look worse than you are. As long as Tennessee plays hard, I have no complaints with the current state of the program.

Reactions: USAFgolferVol
Look like they were really not ready to play today . Step slow. Lacked fire. Happens but usually on a weekday on the road not on a Sat at home. Hopefully bounce back next week
How do you not get fired up for the turd. One of the most hated rivals for Tennessee. Come on Prick get the boys up.

This game should bring fans down a bit on this team. Hopefully the team will learn from this loss.

Just my opinion but always seems our help defense gets us out of position and leads to a lot of wide open 3’s

Wide open 3's. ---- Most successful teams this day and time his 3s when open, covered any way.... We on the other hand -- our fans react like football fans do when a field goal kicker makes one after missing several kicks in a game, they go somewhat wild.

I shouldn't be surprised by the ridiculous amount of overreaction. Losing Springer definitely hurts. Fullerton has got to get out of his funk. Physicality of his defender is giving him lots of trouble right now.

Reactions: cardvolfan
Only real recurring concern of mine is our inability to guard the 3. Same reason Auburn boatraced us in the SEC Champ two years ago. Seems like an easy enough blueprint to me. Just drive it or reverse and kick when we over-rotate and jack up the long ball. Curious as to how Barnes’ squads at Texas faired at defending the 3 and what correlation there is with that his struggle to make real noise in March.
The whole defensive problem was tied to our chaillenges guarding 13 the point guard for Alabama. People were trying to help out - leaving their man open for wide open three's. Those were not contested 3's. Also Alabama's spacing was way better. I don't know who did the scout on Alabama - but Alabama had a much better game plan than we did. They started with their left handed forward being isolated against Pons - and they got two quick fouls on him which was huge - and then they isolated 13 on who ever was trying to guard him and he either penetrated for a layup or penetrated and then passed to someone wide open for a 3.

Also Springer going down really hurt us on both sides of the court. The best penetrating point guard among all the guards on the court by far was 13 the guy from Alabama but there was also far, far less clutter when he was working versus when one of our guards was trying to do something with it. Alabama had a better plan and Springer going down really hurt us.

BB isn't important. A BB loss is forgotten in minutes while FB losses aren't forgotten for a long time, if ever.

At this point, I think everyone expects us to lose to Bama in Football, whereas it is the other way around in Basketball.

Alabama basketball playing in Knoxville has a feel completely different than Kentucky or Vanderbilt, but it always just as important a game in the conference schedule, remember very well that February night in 1976 when Alabama rolled in to Stokely with Leon Douglas and a young Reggie King and T.R. Dunn, with C.M. Newton at the helm, unbeknownst to many Sports Illustrated was in the house with writers and photographers and come Monday Ray Mears' Double Trouble From Tennessee graced the cover of what was then the most respected weekly sports magazine on the planet.

Reactions: cardvolfan
If they had played better they would have won. They were simply overrated and played very poorly.

Not necessarily. Just an off night. An aberration. This is a top team.
We will see. This game exposed some things. Can we make the adjustments? We will see a lot of the same stuff in the next game. I suspect Barnes will be ready for it this time. Our lack of post depth reared it's ugly head and we already knew that was an issue.

Our lack of post depth reared it's ugly head and we already knew that was an issue.
Our post players struggled to defend bama’s style of floor spreading offense and we eventually put our best post player Fulky on the bench. Post depth maybe a problem at some point but this game wasn’t one of them. The inability to make open shots with the other team shooting well above their norm, losing one of our better scorers to injury, and losing our best rim protector to fouls for half the game were the issues

VN Store

Back