Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not if you are pushing them to do something they are not physically capable of doing. There is a point where you have to realize you are not going to get anything more out of them no matter how much you want it, or even how much they might want to do it. Then you have to start putting them in situations where they can succeed. Take JG for example since the QB position is the one everyone sees. Do you think DM or LK could have managed him better? Would it be because they turned him into PM or because they used what he had? There was an old saying that Bear Bryant could beat you with his players, or he could beat you with yours if you switched.
I really don't agree with you, but I think it might be because we are thinking two different ways about the word "push"..nobody ever achieved excellence without being pushed by themselves or their trainers or both.

I think you are talking about fitting a square peg in a round hole...in that case I agree with you..but...in JGs case he is a blob shape and doesn't fit anywhere..nobody could fix that dude...NOBODY.

Reactions: VOLSONLY
I didn’t say Herman was great or even good for that matter at texas. I think we should know by now that you have to stop saying “ team A recruited better than team B according to 247 so team A should win.”

Also, just look at their season this year... when their QB (who was supposed to be a top 5ish QB this year), kinda plateaued... they went 6-3 and their 3 losses were:

TCU: 33-31
Okla: 45-53 4OTs
Iowa state: 20-23

3 losses by a combined 11 points. Just going by box scores you could blindly make the argument that it was just bad luck... especially

I can tell I don’t think Texas is quite as elite of a program as you do, which is fine. I think they modern era: they are closer in terms of program to us than they are to Oklahoma.
I just think Herman was fired because they got led on by Meyer and after they got embarrassed.... the damage was already done and Herman probably tried to use it as leverage to get more money, power, .
SMH...so now talent doesn't matter? Come on man..🤦‍♂️

I didn’t say Herman was great or even good for that matter at texas. I think we should know by now that you have to stop saying “ team A recruited better than team B according to 247 so team A should win.”

Also, just look at their season this year... when their QB (who was supposed to be a top 5ish QB this year), kinda plateaued... they went 6-3 and their 3 losses were:

TCU: 33-31
Okla: 45-53 4OTs
Iowa state: 20-23

3 losses by a combined 11 points. Just going by box scores you could blindly make the argument that it was just bad luck... especially

I can tell I don’t think Texas is quite as elite of a program as you do, which is fine. I think they modern era: they are closer in terms of program to us than they are to Oklahoma.
I just think Herman was fired because they got led on by Meyer and after they got embarrassed.... the damage was already done and Herman probably tried to use it as leverage to get more money, power, .
Plus..he didn't get fired because he was just meh this year..

Yep. Donald Duck likely will be there, too.

IDT there's an edict to be in ATL in two years. UT thought it needed to stabilize the program and there was consensus around five years to put in a foundation and rebuild. IDT there was a number put on this year, and IDT there will be a number put on next year. Fans do that, but I think decisionmakers are looking for things to align from a bigger-picture perspective. When they do, UT will act accordingly.

And I say this knowing few will agree.
So you’re saying they are hoping (or maybe have their eye on?) a coach that fits Tennessee? Someone who checks all the boxes? Pruitt is a stopgap til they find that guy?

I really don't agree with you, but I think it might be because we are thinking two different ways about the word "push"..nobody ever achieved excellence without being pushed by themselves or their trainers or both.

I think you are talking about fitting a square peg in a round hole...in that case I agree with you..but...in JGs case he is a blob shape and doesn't fit anywhere..nobody could fix that dude...NOBODY.
Just used him as an example. It applies to every player. I was a teacher that got the most out of every kid I had except for a few. I learned when to push the hardest and how to make sure they achieved enough success that I could then push more. I followed a teacher that gave the highest grade to kids that turned their papers in complete the fastest. I had to start with small steps of success and work them up as a class to getting top TCAP scores in the state. This meant making sure those good in math were prepared to get in the 90th percentile even if those good in grammar could not. And, yes, I had a few JGs that I just had to accept they were blob shaped as far as what is taught in school.

Talent always matters but stars do not automatically equal talent. I don’t know how someone can be a Tennessee fan and not realize that by now
I agree with that to a point, but Texas has real talent, and a huge talent advantage against everybody they play not named Oklahoma. They have the defensive talent to be better than they have been the last few years.

Reactions: VolsDoc81TX
Just used him as an example. It applies to every player. I was a teacher that got the most out of every kid I had except for a few. I learned when to push the hardest and how to make sure they achieved enough success that I could then push more. I followed a teacher that gave the highest grade to kids that turned their papers in complete the fastest. I had to start with small steps of success and work them up as a class to getting top TCAP scores in the state. This meant making sure those good in math were prepared to get in the 90th percentile even if those good in grammar could not. And, yes, I had a few JGs that I just had to accept they were blob shaped as far as what is taught in school.
Ok then...we are going to have to agree to disagree on this point. I just absolutely do not believe the team sucked this year because Pruitt and staff "pushed" too hard.

Here is the sad reality:
Pruitt was never going to be fired, he is Fulmer’s man.
UT is not investigating to buyout Pruitt.
UT is not doing background on a potential new HC.
It is all a big nothing burger.
I am not saying that I endorse this.
He will be fired next year imo..they are just kicking the can down the road. I don't think Pruitt can fix this.

Ok then...we are going to have to agree to disagree on this point. I just absolutely do not believe the team sucked this year because Pruitt and staff "pushed" too hard.
Lol I didn't say that. I said when he started he was trying to make what he had into AL players by pushing. And this year he still had not learned how to get the most out of what he had because he wanted them to perform like AL instead of coaching like Mac Brown did at NC. Does that make more sense?

If you don't mind, what area is this where not allowing kids to score on passed balls ect.........we played all summer without even seeing that being mentioned.
North Carolina high school baseball....they allowed it in my sons travel ball tourneys.

Last edited:
Here's my attempt to change it up...

I picked a random play from our first game against South Carolina. Here's the alignment for our offense, and how South Carolina lined up against it.

1) What play would you run out of this alignment?
2) What personnel would you swap out, and how would that affect your play call?
3) If you were the DC for South Carolina, how you call the defense against our personnel on the field in this formation?

UT_USC_1st Quarter_530.jpg

Here's the actual play:

Reactions: ValleyAlVol
Felt good going to see some friends in Chatt for New Years, and then went to Beech yesterday to snowboard. Not as hard as I thought to tune out UT sports. Going to be a relaxing and stress free fall next season.
How was Beech? We always go snowboarding either up there (Beech, Sugar) or Cataloochee once a year, but with the current spread rate we nixed it. Was it still packed or did they keep folks distanced pretty well?

Texas- I'd take Matt Campbell over Sark any day of the week. I'd think Campbell would leave ISU for $7mil/year.
He's going to get a lot of NFL offers again. Matt Rhule makes more per year as a first time NFL HC with Carolina than Saban makes at Bama so if it is money he is after he would make a lot more in the NFL.

Reactions: jkleno and MrVolton
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back