Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is true. But I think if our list is Freeze, Napier, Mickey Mouse all will likely be available in 2 years. And when Pruitt doesn't make it to Atlanta in 5 years which is what he sold, there should be enough of a majority ready to make a change.
Who do you think Florida goes after if Mullen goes to NY?

From what I heard, “cultural fit” was definitely a factor in hiring Dooley instead of Wittingham.

I also think they wanted the opposite of Kiffin. Somebody who would feel lucky to be there and would never leave us for something bigger again. This is a quick way to get a really bad coach.

In reality, from what I've gathered from people I know and from reading between the lines of LA, they were willing to make a move this year but no consensus from big money boosters along with boosters tired of the **** show, they couldn't find it. So, they go status quo u til things get so bad then they have to do something. 10,000 season tickets 》》》》 $10,000,000 in revenue. When that happens, they'll be forced to make a move. Is 10,000 season tickets represent 20% of all season tickets sold? I'm not sure of what the numbers are but I could see a reduction of 20% of season tickets between now and next year. Ticket are going to be a tough sell given the events of last year along with the tremendously bad football team. Another crappy season next year and they'll have no choice.
I agree with you, Its also one reason I don't hate on Atlanta and other insiders. I do believe there was a portion of our boosters that tried to make a play for Freeze they just couldn't get enough money behind the move to make it happen.
As far as season tickets go, I don't think that matters much, I don't see stadiums being more than 50% full next year, are they really going to miss money they were going to lose anyways from COVID? Now, next year is the kicker if Pruitt pulls of 8 where are season tickets? What about 6? I agree its going to be a tough sell, but if Pruitt pulls of 8 then there will be enough new holders jump back in.
This may seem a little wild, but im actually kind of happy with how Fulmer and Co are handling it if I take emotions out of it. There isn't a consensus this year, so what if we wait 2 years then things change. Money comes on board and we end up with Kiffin and 90% booster pulling the same way? Thats better than rushing into a hire this year with boosters split 50/50 at best and its probably broken down more than that.

There’s a guy on TOS that is duck hunting with Ty and the sons of UT (see TS thread) who seems to think we’re in on some bigger transfers and deep into the ‘22 class right now. Also seems to think that there will be a big turnaround next season, well, that’s the way I’m reading it anyway. Tifwiw

The money for Butch was set aside when he was fired and not even considered an expense imo. I think he’s on tenuously borrowed time. Anything is possible.
Is it not true that money is put aside in trust at the time of his firing and is drawn from to make payments to Butch? If so, it shouldn't be an issue for 'today's' money. Could be wrong about this though...

Edit: butchna beat me to it...
LA beat me to it, the money is set aside that is true, but you have to have it to set it aside. TN is down on revenue and has been pulling from those coffers for a few years paying buyout after buyout. TN doesn't have it and boosters aren't willing to cut 20million plus for the firing and then another 15+ for a new staff. Especially when the university probably won't/cant contribute much right now to those numbers.

Reactions: hooter vol
There’s a guy on TOS that is duck hunting with Ty and the sons of UT (see TS thread) who seems to think we’re in on some bigger transfers and deep into the ‘22 class right now. Also seems to think that there will be a big turnaround next season, well, that’s the way I’m reading it anyway. Tifwiw
I guess I can just smoke whatever bass is having and choose to believe

I don't like the hire by Texas with Sark, as I don't think they upgraded, but there are not a lot of homerun hire candidates out there.

I do like how Texas went about making the change by announcing Herman was done and almost immediately announcing the new coach. I hope that is how we will do it next time.

Reactions: SmokinBob
That is true. But I think if our list is Freeze, Napier, Mickey Mouse all will likely be available in 2 years. And when Pruitt doesn't make it to Atlanta in 5 years which is what he sold, there should be enough of a majority ready to make a change.

Yep. Donald Duck likely will be there, too.

IDT there's an edict to be in ATL in two years. UT thought it needed to stabilize the program and there was consensus around five years to put in a foundation and rebuild. IDT there was a number put on this year, and IDT there will be a number put on next year. Fans do that, but I think decisionmakers are looking for things to align from a bigger-picture perspective. When they do, UT will act accordingly.

And I say this knowing few will agree.

Last edited:
That would be the best thing in the world for us.

Reactions: govols717
I saw on twitter this morning. Ty went hunting with Trey, Cooper and Cade

You misunderstand my comments. I don't think he can get it done. I don't think he's the answer. I never thought he was the answer. I think he was a ridiculously bad hire and I don't think the guy who hired him should get a mulligan. And frankly, it's going to come back and bite everybody in the ass at some point. But I also think when you're stuck with something for a while longer, you can either try and make it better where you can or you can keep doing the exact same thing without making any changes at all.

Just for reference, in your opinion, what do you think senior leadership considers to be an acceptable record for a head coach at UT. I'm not asking with regard to Pruitt or COVID or rebuilding or any other excuse they may use to justify today's decisions, I'm saying that if you get Coach Fulmer or Randy Boyd on his 3rd Scotch, what would they say is the minimum acceptable performance before UT should start looking around?

Reactions: TN-POSSUM

Well I hope he’s right.

Reactions: volsfan_17
Yep. Donald Duck likely will be there, too.

IDT there's an expectation to be in ATL in five years. UT thought it needed to stabilize the program and there was consensus around five years to put in a foundation and rebuild. IDT there was a number put on this year, and IDT there will be a number put on next year. Fans do that, but I think decisionmakers are looking for things to align from a bigger-picture perspective. When they do, UT will act accordingly.

And I say this knowing few will agree.
I'M fine with all of that talk except what worries me is the supposed cancerous culture being developed and the fact it's been said no one wants to work for Pruitt or Fulmer.

Now I can't stay it enough that the only info I have comes from this site, and up until this year culture was positive from all I had heard. Is the culture that bad or has the negativity of this year exacerbated things worse than they actually are, culturally speaking.

Reactions: VOLSONLY
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back